SIG; to DAK, or not to DAK?

SIG; to DAK, or not to DAK?

This is a discussion on SIG; to DAK, or not to DAK? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been considering SIG for a next handgun purchase. Probably a P226 or P229, and probably in 9mm but not certain on caliber yet. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question SIG; to DAK, or not to DAK?

I have been considering SIG for a next handgun purchase.

Probably a P226 or P229, and probably in 9mm but not certain on caliber yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pro's & con's on the DAK action vs. the standard DA/SA?

Personal experiences or preferences? What is the most popular these days?

I've never shot a Sig but I know they are sweet guns!

Thanks for your input and help.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The reason that I like the double action only is the trigger pull stays consistent. I always had DA revolvers prior to the SIG so it made sense for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    The reason that I like the double action only is the trigger pull stays consistent. I always had DA revolvers prior to the SIG so it made sense for me.
    Same here, I had DAK and liked them, but what I carry varies depending on situation, and weather. I have semiautos and revolvers. All my carry weapons are now DAO. That way I know everyone of them will have the same trigger pull, and fuction the same. Also my wife carries, and I wanted her to be able to grab any of our guns and use them with no problems.

DAO, pick them up and pull the trigger, no safety, no de-cocker, no hard pull, then light pull.....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions or pro's & con's on the DAK action vs. the standard DA/SA?
    Mine are all DA/SA except my 220 SAO. My advice would be see if there is a place where you can fire both types of trigger. This is kind of a personal thing, so see which one YOU like......
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Mine are all DA/SA except my 220 SAO. My advice would be see if there is a place where you can fire both types of trigger. This is kind of a personal thing, so see which one YOU like......
    +1...it's a personal decision.

All of my SIGs are DA/SA...it's how I've practiced for years--it's what I like. Do you know anyone with a DAK trigger? or know of a range that rents them?....Try it out for yourself is what I suggest.

Good luck on your quest...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I thought they were "sweet guns" too...... until I shot one! I rented the 226 with the extended grips and small magwell to fit the 20-round mags.

I was going to buy it so I had a new 9mm to go along with my 1911s and my BHP. I thought the recoil would be mild compared to my 1911s, but it "felt" just as bad to me, just different.

They are one of the finest guns, but just not for me. Point is, please go shoot it before you buy one!

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I thought they were "sweet guns" too...... until I shot one! I rented the 226 with the extended grips and small magwell to fit the 20-round mags.
    Well.. rental guns are usually kind of... well... used and abused. I was not a big fan of a DA trigger and I didn't even like my DA/SA sig 220 too much but then I got Sig 250 with the DAK trigger and I have to say I'm beyond impressed. That is a really really nice setup: feels smooth and consistent and light!

kpw
    I much prefer the DAK to the standard DA/SA but please listen to the other posters about trying before buying if at all possible. BTW, if your thinking 9mm, look around for a 228 if you can.

My EDC is a Sig 239 40 with DAK. I also have a Sig 239 9mm with DAK and a Sig P245 with the SA/DA. For a strictly carry gun, I like the consistent pull of the DAK trigger. Exactly the same each and every time and the Sig DAK is a very nice trigger, IMO. For range work, I do like the SA/DA trigger which gives the short, lighter SA pull after the first round or after cocking manually.

As others have said, it's really personal preference and what you feel the most comfortable with.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    As far as I've been able to tell, the function of a single action mode in a semiautomatic is to duplicate the feel of a revolver made prior to 1900. The original 1911 Colt was made that way, and people are used to it. It doesn't make any sense at all to me. Single action on a semiautomatic is like teats on a boar, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want the extra complexity or have to learn a procedure for working a semiautomatic in excess of all the other things you have to know to work them.

Revolvers, on the other hand, are so simple, I don't need to worry about stovepipes, FTF's, FTE's, and I find that by the time the sights are in front of my eyes, somehow the hammer already got pulled back. I think my thumb's been doing it when I wasn't looking. That seems natural to me, but I reckon I just think of a semiautomatic as something totally different, and when I pull the trigger, I just want "bang" to happen.

So I love my 229 DAK and my 226 DAK.

Although the only real advantage to Sig's DAK, as near as I can tell, is that every time you pull the trigger, it attempts to fire. So if you get a misfire, you can pull the trigger again, without having to chamber another round. I can't see wanting to do that a whole lot in an emergency, but it's really handy for dry-firing practice, especially in combination with a CT laser grip.

I also have DAO's from Kahr, and I love them as well as my Sigs.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

EAJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    My advice would be see if there is a place where you can fire both types of trigger. This is kind of a personal thing, so see which one YOU like......
    I agree 100%. I have DAO, DA/SA, and SA pistols, but didn't have an opportunity to test the DAK trigger before purchasing a SIG P239 SAS (Gen 1) DAK. After a number of dry fire sessions and visits to the range I decided the DAK trigger wasn't for me. Purchased it for a very good price so I spent the extra money and had it converted to DA/SA. Very pleased with the current trigger. :)

Thanks for the input! Leaning towards a DAK trigger I think.

Will probably do my best to get my hands on one to try out first.

I'm sure there will be many sleepless nights ahead trying to determine which model and such.

Thanks again all.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I love my DA/SA P220, I MUCH prefer the DA/SA to the DAK trigger, but you may not. I hear lots of complaints about two different trigger pulls on the DA/SA, but I am much more accurate with the SA than I am with the DA. I have also shot the DAO, and don't like the long trigger pull every time. I like the long pull for the fact of decision making.....it gives you a chance to make sure you want to fire the gun, but once I know I'm firing I want quick easy pulls. YMMV.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I love my DA/SA P220, I MUCH prefer the DA/SA to the DAK trigger, but you may not. I hear lots of complaints about two different trigger pulls on the DA/SA, but I am much more accurate with the SA than I am with the DA. I have also shot the DAO, and don't like the long trigger pull every time. I like the long pull for the fact of decision making.....it gives you a chance to make sure you want to fire the gun, but once I know I'm firing I want quick easy pulls. YMMV.
    That's the nice thing about the DAK. You can ride that shorter reset unlike most DAO triggers. Being predominately a Glock shooter, I like that. Although it's a bit longer and heavier than a Glock trigger, it's a somewhat familiar action to me.

I like both. To me there really is no difference when it comes to rapid firing the DAK or DA/SA, none of them hit the target
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links