LCP vs PM9

LCP vs PM9

This is a discussion on LCP vs PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone compare these two for me....I am interested in size dimensions, weight loaded dimensions, price, as well as pictures possibly with them together to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCP vs PM9

LCP vs PM9

Can someone compare these two for me....I am interested in size dimensions, weight loaded dimensions, price, as well as pictures possibly with them together to see how they compare to the eye.

Thanks!

Both the Ruger and Kahr web sites have this basic info.

If you search Google for <"ruger LCP" "kahr PM9"> then you will find some side-by-side pics of the LCP, PM9, the upcoming P380.

I've had the PM9, the KelTec P3AT 380, the NAA 380 Guardian, and a friend has the LCP. The PM9 is quite a bit larger than all three. The P3AT is tiny, but the P380 is supposed to be even smaller.

Of all of them, the PM9 is 9mm and feels fairly good when firing. Particularly with the 7rd extension magazine, for me at least it is extremely easy to control. It's about at the upper limit of size for proper concealment in a pocket, I think. At 1" thick, it stands out unless you have deeper cargo pockets and a well-made, curving holster that covers the edges well.

They each the smallest of their breed. Each fits in the pocket well. The P3AT and LCP are probably the least well made of the lot, based on the size/durability of the parts used in them. Though, basically the goal of the LCP's introduction was a higher-quality P3AT based on much the same design. (My experience with the P3AT also involves some parts breakages. I have yet to see the PM9 or NAA 380 go belly-up due to various parts failing.)

On the MouseGuns web site, here is a comparison of the basic size/specs of these and other small pistols: click.

Pricing, highest to lowest: PM9 ($600+), P380 (<$600, planned), NAA 380 ($400), LCP ($350), P3AT ($300).

For my money, the LCP and P3AT are worth considering if absolute slimness and low weight are the primary goals to the exclusion of everything else. The P380 will probably be a hit in the same class, though it's not proved itself on the market yet. I had a PM9 and liked it a lot, though my particular one had some growing pains. I'll get another at some point, since the package cannot be matched elsewhere. (Probably the same can be said of the upcoming P380. We'll see.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hmmm, so it sounds like getting the PM9 wouldn't be much different size wise then my HK P2000SK

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    Hmmm, so it sounds like getting the PM9 wouldn't be much different size wise then my HK P2000SK
    I'm extremely interested in the P2000SK ... but not for pocket carry. Have strongly considered it as a carry gun, but it simply (a) won't fit in my pockets like the PM9 can, and (b) I cannot manipulate the mag release well enough to be comfortable carrying it.

Check each web site, for Kahr, HK, Ruger, as the numbers are all right there. Size-wise, the PM9 is quite a bit smaller than the P2000SK. It's 1-1/4" shorter, among other things, and the grip/butt is significantly shorter. It's lighter, and though it's thinner it does feel just as thick as the svelte-appearing P2000SK (which is actually fairly thick). Each will ride well IWB, but IMO (of the two) only the PM9 would be pocket worthy. The PM9's are everywhere. Simply bring in your unloaded P2000SK to compare sizing, and then you'll know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Actually, the difference is quite substantial. Your HK (VERY nice pistol!) is over an inch longer, over a half inch taller and .38 inch wider. Empty weight (including empty mags) is 9.9 oz higher for the HK.

Now, back on topic for the OP, check this page for a head to head with the LCP and the PM9.
    Last edited by T Bone; March 21st, 2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Return to topic
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

The links to various comparisions are good. I will add my own info. I have both LCP and PM9. The LCP is smaller, but I can still front pocket carry the PM9. The big difference is the thickness. In reality there is a "chunk" in my pocket with either one so why not carry a 9mm chunk? (My other main carry is an XD9 so l like the idea of staying with one common caliber). Here are a few of my observations that may make a difference for you . . .
    1. The LCP is more "rounded" at various points so some will find it easier to get in and out of a pocket.
    2. The PM9 has real sights which I really like to have (mine are factory night sights).
    3. Due to their size both guns are very snappy when fired, but even in 9mm I find the PM9 easier to control with a bit less perceived recoil.
    4. I find the trigger on the PM9 to be waaaay better than on the LCP, but that is just my opinion.

Price? Got my LCP for just over $300 (before taxes and laser extra of course). PM9 was bought online so before shipping and FFL transfer it was around $650. This model has the blackend DLC slide and factory night sights which cost more than the standard model. I had a local shop that had the standard bright slide and standard sights for about $630.

Here are some comparison photos I took (sorry the camera and lighting are not so good).

Notes on the photos:
    1. I have a Pachmayr grip on the LCP and Pierce extensions on the mags. I cannot get a reasonable grip on it otherwise. I don't need those items with the PM9. So FOR ME the real world thickness is about the same. YMMV.
    2. The LCP has the CT laser so that adds some bulk to the front side.

Photo 1 - Next to each other.

Photo 2 - Stacked - LCP on Top. Note that it is difficult to really see their relative size in photos like this because you need to move your perspective from side to side and top to bottom to see where parts of each gun extend beyond the other. Without the Pierce extension, the LCP is a bit shorter in the grip area, but with the extension it is actually just a tad longer.

Photo 3 - This is the stacked view with a perspective toward the muzzle where you can see the extra length of the PM9. It's really not much. Not enough to mess up pocket carry.

Photo 4 - Rear view. This is where you can see that with Pachmayr grip the LCP is similar in thickness at the grip.

Photos 5 - 6 - 7 Bottom, top, and front views.

VIP Member
    Great pics! I have a CW9, which is a little larger, but I can pocket carry it with relative ease. I prefer the 9mm power factor vs. the slighly smaller size. OMO
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yea see im stuck, I realy want/need a pocket carry, but for $700 bucks, would rather buy a new bedroom set, so the cheaper price of the LCP is easier for me to swallow. And the fact I have 200 .380 hollow points and zero 9mm ammo

I have 200 .380 hollow points and zero 9mm ammo
    I'm sure this will get better of course, but where I am (and looking online as well) .380 is just very hard to find. I can get 9mm a lot easier and cheaper too. You will (should) burn up 200 rounds right away just breaking in (IMO) and getting comfortable with a new auto - the LCP is no exception and probably more important because you've got to make sure you are handling the gun correctly to minimize malfunctions (no limp wristing). I'm hanging on to my LCP because I know that .380 availability has got to improve at some point and I want to shoot it some more and see if I am comfortable with it as a back up to my 9mm guns.

One more thing I will add toward the issue of the cost of the PM9. Quality. I know this gets some people riled up, but when I take things apart and look closely at the small pieces and parts, the PM9 IMO is a higher quality gun. That's not to say the LCP is not good or will not hold up. I'm just saying that I am carrying to protect my life and if I can spend a reasonable amount more to increase what I percieve to be a better made gun, I will (and have). Just because something costs more doesn't guarantee that, but I've looked these two over closely and I can see the difference. That's just me. Everyone will look at this differently.

Put off getting that bedroom set and do what I did - get both

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamadog35 View Post
    One more thing I will add toward the issue of the cost of the PM9. Quality. I know this gets some people riled up, but when I take things apart and look closely at the small pieces and parts, the PM9 IMO is a higher quality gun.
    I agree 100 percent with this statment. I have owned both guns and I have diasembled both and closely inspected all the internals and I agree about the quality of these two guns. The reallity is there is a very good reason the PM9 is more expensive and the LCP is a $300 gun.....The PM9 is a great deal more gun for the money you pay and well worth the price. I am generally a fan of Rugers and I own several Ruger guns but this is the way I see it from my experience with both guns.

I have both the PM9 and the LCP and find them to both be quality firearms for what they are. The LCP isn't a PM9 and the PM9 isn't a custom Sig but they both serve their purpose equally well. For me, the biggest physical difference between the two guns isn't the size, it's the weight. The LCP is almost 1/2 the weight of the PM9 and while I've pocket carried the PM9 easily, the LCP is the go anywhere/anytime gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

From what i have heard and read in gun mags the LCP is a great mouse gun but the durability is a lil not there. Even ruger said that they didnt intend for this gun to go to the range or shoot thousands of rounds reliably. They said it will just wear itself out over time. However, the article i read fired a number of rounds without malfunction. They just dont recomend plinking and such with it. Shoot it when you have to.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I have both the PM9 and the LCP and find them to both be quality firearms for what they are. The LCP isn't a PM9 and the PM9 isn't a custom Sig but they both serve their purpose equally well. For me, the biggest physical difference between the two guns isn't the size, it's the weight. The LCP is almost 1/2 the weight of the PM9 and while I've pocket carried the PM9 easily, the LCP is the go anywhere/anytime gun.

Hoss
    Hoss, this isn't meant to be an argument at all with your points as they are appropriate. I just want to add a perspective to the weight comment. Given the size difference (and likely to some degree the materials used) a weight difference is a given. I think how much this difference is noticable depends on the person (size, weight), the clothing they wear, and how they want to carry. In my big hands it doesn't feel like one is "almost 1/2 the weight" of the other (even though technically that may be the case) and once they go into my pocket I don't notice a difference at all.
    FOR ME - I can't imagine a situation in which I could carry one and not the other. Both are significantly lighter and easier to carry than my XD9sc. For those looking, if you can, try to get a hold of both and see for yourself how much the difference might make to you.

Quote Originally Posted by yamadog35 View Post
    Hoss, this isn't meant to be an argument at all with your points as they are appropriate. I just want to add a perspective to the weight comment. Given the size difference (and likely to some degree the materials used) a weight difference is a given. I think how much this difference is noticable depends on the person (size, weight), the clothing they wear, and how they want to carry. In my big hands it doesn't feel like one is "almost 1/2 the weight" of the other (even though technically that may be the case) and once they go into my pocket I don't notice a difference at all.
    FOR ME - I can't imagine a situation in which I could carry one and not the other. Both are significantly lighter and easier to carry than my XD9sc. For those looking, if you can, try to get a hold of both and see for yourself how much the difference might make to you.
    I probably should have been a bit more clear about where and when I notice the weight difference. I'm not exactly a small guy at 6'6" and 400+ so actually carrying the weight difference is never noticeable. How loose or tight my pants fit and what type I'm wearing at the time can exaggerate the difference. If I'm wearing relatively tight jeans, it doesn't make much difference which one I have in my pocket. However, if I'm wearing loose fitting dress slacks, the extra weight of the PM9 becomes noticeable in how much it "bounces". Kind of like the difference in having 4 quarters in your pocket or 20. It also depends on the type of activity. An activity involving running, jumping, jogging, etc. would cause the extra weight to be more noticeable. While I'm not much of a shorts wearing guy (no one should have to see a 400+ guy in gym shorts), I'd imagine that this is another time the lighter LCP could be appreciated.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links