Shoot holes in my trade-in thoughts

This is a discussion on Shoot holes in my trade-in thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a 4" S&W 65 K frame. I bought it for HD but along the way decided I should carry something. I find ...

Thread: Shoot holes in my trade-in thoughts

Shoot holes in my trade-in thoughts

I currently have a 4" S&W 65 K frame. I bought it for HD but along the way decided I should carry something. I find that I don't carry it as much as I'd like to because it's on the large side of comfort and printing. I'm thinking of selling it for a 2" 640 J frame. I'd like to simply just add another but financially it's not the best idea for me. What's makes sense?
    Last edited by jtmoose; March 21st, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

2. Remove Ads

A S&W 640, 340, 442 is a fine choice, though you should be comfortable with shooting a snubbie revolver prior to purchase. They handle and shoot differently. About the smallest revolver I get any decent accuracy out of is a Ruger SP-101 in the slightly longer bbl. If you can fire any of these at a range, first, then you'll know. Check the Ruger, if you haven't. The lighter (particularly scandium-based) snubbies have stout kick, but the SP-101 tames that due to its weight and balance.

You can find them used, occasionally for quite a bit off new/store pricing. Before the run-up in prices since ~September or so, you could find used SP-101's for under $400 and occasionally a 442 or 340 for under $300. It's a bit more now.

Nicely, any decent holster maker covers all of them, so finding a good pocket, IWB or OWB holster should be simple.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'd get or shoot a 640 then decide if I did not want/need the 65.

Don't sell the 65...you will regret it..look for a good gun belt and holster to conceal it more effectivelt until you can afford the j frame you want.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    While I agree in theory that the smaller gun will be easier to conceal and carry, your 4" S & W, unfortunately, will probably only yeild $100 to $150 on a trade. Larger wheel guns are just not that popular any more. If you are comfortable with that, then by all means go ahead and do it.

I agree with ccw9mm concerning the Ruger SP-101. It's a great gun and a good carry.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I suggest to keep your revolver and save your pennies for another pistol. You will miss it when it's gone.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Two guns are best

Trading a used gun to a dealer for another gun is a bad financial move. As others have said, the dealer will give you about half or 2/3 of the retail value of your gun. The best way to sell a used gun is to find an individual who wants it and sell it directly to him for the retail price.

Personally I'd keep the model 65 because it is a good gun and useful for home defense and range. Then I'd look for a used revolver in the J frame size for carry, and have two revolvers. This may require some budgeting on your part, but is the best long range decision.

If you're going to belt carry I'd get a steel J frame (not aluminum frame) because they handle recoil better yet have small dimensions for concealment. Something like my model 60 below would suffice:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I agree with the others. Keep the 65 for your house gun and save up for a j frame or SP 101.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

1943 - 2009
    Have we shot enough holes in your thoughts yet, moose?

Yes, by all means, keep your Model 65. There are good deals to be had on J frames and the Rugers. You just have to search for them.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Buy a J frame if you want but DON'T part with your K frame revolver. Been there, done that and came to regret it.

I think I'll keep the 65. It makes sense to have that for my wife to work on her fundamentals also. You guys are right, 2 is 1, 1 is none. I think I'll save up for a used 640 to ADD rather than replace.

Pogo2,
    What kind of grips are those?

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I recently got rid of a 649, j frame "bodyguard" model in .357, because it's too hard for me to control it. Even with large Pachmayr grips on it, it was too small for my hand. I've decided that .357 is ok for bigger guns (it's just fine in my 19 and my 627) but that itty bitty gun is just too much.

I got a 4" model 64, about the same as your 65, except it's a .38, and I don't think there's any significant difference in concealed carry options between that and the 649.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by jtmoose View Post
    Pogo2,
    What kind of grips are those?
    Those are Altamont grips from:

Handgungrips.com

They cost $42 and are the silver and black boot grips for J frames. They only come down as far as frame bottom so your little finger has to curl under. But they are good for concealment. Here is another pair I have on a J frame model 36, in walnut:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Keep the M65. I have one and I do carry it from time to time. With a good belt and holster, plus the right clothing it can be concealed just as easy as a full size 1911 IMHO.

The last time I carried my M65 was at a very crowded playground that I took my son to. Lots of people around and I was playing actively with my son...nobody was the wiser.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links