too big?

This is a discussion on too big? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield 1911 loaded with a 5inch barrel. I just got my concealed permit. Is this too big of a gun to carry?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: too big?

too big?

I have a Springfield 1911 loaded with a 5inch barrel. I just got my concealed permit.
    Is this too big of a gun to carry?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    No. Many of us carry them everyday. You WILL need a good holster (I suggest IWB), and a quality GUN belt. Other than that, there may be a wardrobe tweak or two (dressing around the gun), but a 5 inch 1911 is a very common daily carry gun.

ETA: First post? (just noticed that). Welcome to the board!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to DC. It's a matter of opinion. There are a lot of members here who carry full-size 1911's, as well as other full-size guns. If you can shoot it, and conceal it (wardrobe adjustments/additions as needed), my advice is to carry it.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I know that there are those who carry a full size 1911. However, I also know those who have tried it, and decided it is just too heavy.
    That was my own conclusion. In fact if that was the only gun I could carry concealed, I would carry very seldom.

I do sometimes carry a steel 1911 Compact Kimber, and a LW SA Compact 1911. The Kimber is also too heavy, and the SA just slips in under the limit.

I much prefer my Kahr P9, M 642, G 26, or for a run to the store a KT P3AT.

Give it a try, and you may like it, but there is no way to tell except a trial.

Regards,
    Jerry

Only YOU can decide on the perfect CCW for you, but the holster WILL make the difference.
    Some on this forum have found that 'enlightenment' after going through a few 'cheapie' holsters and then getting a quality holster made for exact firearm.

Stay armed...use a quality boned holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Absolutely not...a good gun belt and holster probably IWB and you can do it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Too many variables for anyone to answer that question for you. Is the gun capable of being carried concealed? Yes. Is it the proper choice for you? Only you can answer that. Sorry for being absolutely no help at all!

BTW welcome to the forum.

It's a great pistol to carry CC.. I have a SA 1911 A1. I use an MTAC, and a re-enforced gun belt. It's just as comfortable as my Glock 27 sub-compact. On the 1911 I do have to carry at a different "Clock position" on the body, but no biggie. Give it a chance, and you may very well like it..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Personal choice

I am a big guy, and I carried a full size 1911 a few times and concluded that it was too big for comfort. The gun weighs about 43 ounces loaded with a 5 inch barrel and a long grip. It is tough to conceal unless you wear just the right clothing.

Maybe you will like it, however. You could give it a try and find out, then get a smaller gun if you think it is too big. My favorite 1911 for carry is a Colt Defender, which has an aluminum frame, shorter grip, 3 inch barrel and weighs maybe 28 ounces loaded. That is pretty easy to conceal.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I am a big guy, and I carried a full size 1911 a few times and concluded that it was too big for comfort. The gun weighs about 43 ounces loaded with a 5 inch barrel and a long grip. It is tough to conceal unless you wear just the right clothing.

Maybe you will like it, however. You could give it a try and find out, then get a smaller gun if you think it is too big. My favorite 1911 for carry is a Colt Defender, which has an aluminum frame, shorter grip, 3 inch barrel and weighs maybe 28 ounces loaded. That is pretty easy to conceal.
    +1.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Hi welcome to the forum as to your question as others have said a fullsize 1911 is a comon carry gun,in fact it was mine for many years. I used a milt sparks IWB holster and a good gun belt made the gun a lot easier to carry.

The 1911 is good gun its very thin gun which lends itself well to concealed carry. I stopped carrying my 1911 due to lower back problems. If you feel like the 1911 is just to heavy I'd say look into the lightweight versions of fullsize,compact and subcompact ones. I know Kimber make a few of these models also smith & wesson and others. Hope I've helped you out.

BAC
    I'm a small guy and have no problems concealing a gov't sized 1911. I do so with minimal influence on the wardrobe, in fact; certain t-shirts and one of my button-ups are no-go, as well as some of my older pants, but the majority of my clothes are fine and dandy. Get a good IWB holster, a good gun belt, and find that "sweet spot" for your holster and you'll be good to go.

This is not to say that I can't find firearms that conceal better (my graduation present to myself is going to be a CCO-style 1911), just that it is certainly possible to conceal full-sized guns effectively. To be honest, I think 1911s are some of the easier guns to conceal.

Welcome to the forum.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

For you it is, for me it is not so you should send it to me as soon as possible.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I'd have to say that if you have to ask it probably is too big... try it out and see if you can... my personal limit is my Glock 19 or 23c... however, I usually carry my Glock 26... great size, weight and reliability.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Too big for me. The only way to know for sure is to try it for awhile.

If it were me, I'd probably unload the gun and then double check to make sure it was unloaded and then put it under my belt at 3, 4, or 5 O'clock position and wear it around the house for awhile . Cheap and harmless and "might" give you some info..... YMMV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links