whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380 - Page 2

whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380

This is a discussion on whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The J frames are the best revolver bug on the market bar none and a far better gun in general than anything made by Kel ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The J frames are the best revolver bug on the market bar none and a far better gun in general than anything made by Kel Tec. Comparing a revo and a semi are compairing apples to oranges in many ways but as far as quality, the Smith is in a totally different class than KT. It this case you truely get what you pay for.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Your Keltec P3AT will work fine as a BUG. I would use your cash and get a Crimson Trace laser for it and a pocket holster that will fit a P3AT with the laser mounted on it.

There is nothing wrong with getting a J frame S&W .38 special, but depending on pocket size, it can be a little bulky to conceal IMO.
    I already own 2 pocket holsters for my kel tec and they do there job, but I'm still not satisfied with it and want to know your opinions on this mater
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Sounds like you have already made up your mind if your not happy with it. I dont see the wheel gun making a good pocket caryy though. Unless you have huge pockets.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

AFAIC that would be dependent on how small and lightweight you need. The J frame .38 special have served people well as a BUG or primary for decades. It is a great gun and a decent caliber. I often carry a SP-101 .357 mag as a BUG.

If your requirements necessitate something even smaller and lighter weight than that, and for some people, their needs do, then go with the keltec or a Ruger LCP.

You will, in all practicality be stepping down a notch in caliber, but with today's current hi-performance .380 SD ammo, I feel it is at least adequate. I have a Ruger LCP and it is for use as a BUG or used if I carry 3 guns.

I'm not comfortable with a .380 as a primary unless I absolutely need a mouse gun for extreme discretion. Otherwise I would go with a snubby as a minimum primary.

One other consideration is if you have to shoot through your pocket with your BUG! A semi-auto has a high probability of only giving you one shot before the constraints of the pocket causes a stoppage. Usually a "stove pipe" or even material caught in the slide. With a revolver, while there is a possibility of material getting bound up in the cylinder or snagged in the hammer, you are more likely to be able to get more than one shot before such a stoppage happens, if it happens at all. You have a good chance of shooting all 5 rounds. Revolvers have better mechanics if you have to shoot through your pocket.

Bottom line... A J-Frame .38 is good for a BUG or a Primary where as a .380 is good as a BUG and not great at all for a Primary weapon or shooting through your pocket.

JMHO YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Oh what an easy question, do you prefer something sexy like this:

or some ugly bottom feeder?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    I'd always take a .38, .38 +P or .357 over a .380 and I prefer a J frame myself. A revolver is less likely to malfunction too. That's just my thinking.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

What Thumper said ^
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Get the J frame. I like the 442 and 642.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Just my opinion but if weight is not an issue, J-Frame. If it is, and it is in my case, I carry a LCP with Hornady CD. Quiet comfortable in a Don Hume 001.

I just picked up a P3AT yesterday after carrying a Glock 19 everyday for the past few months. I absolutely love my P3AT!!! it's so light and thin, I really don't notice it in my back pocket at all. I have never carried a snubbie, (I do want one) but I think the slim auto is best for maximum concealment and comfort.

-Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by AWLCO View Post
    I just picked up a P3AT yesterday after carrying a Glock 19 everyday for the past few months. I absolutely love my P3AT!!! it's so light and thin, I really don't notice it in my back pocket at all.
    Bryan
    Just wondering if you are going to carry your Glock 19 anymore now that you have the P3AT? I have been thinking about getting a Glock 19 because of the extra rounds (15). I do like my two carry weapons (see signature) but wanted your opnion on the Glock 19 as an everyday carry.
    Thanks...
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Love my 19, it's just hard for me to conceal in warmer weather until my K&D holster comes in. The 19 is my primary carry. the P3AT is for those times when I would otherwise leave the 19 at home or in the truck. I do feel a little more secure with 16 rounds of 9mm +p JHP, but 7 of .380 is (hopefully) more than anyone would ever need.

I have been contemplating dumping the 19 for a 17 for house/range, and a 26 for primary carry.

Sorry for the thread-jack,
    -Bryan

I vote for the Kel Tec as it's slim and easy to use as a BUG.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

j frame or kel-tec p3at 380

I've got both (plus just bought a Ruger LCP).
    The P3AT is (for me) the only gun I can carry in a pants pocket and much better than no gun.
    My 442 S&W has a Barami hip grip, is Mag-na-ported and requires an untucked shirt.
    The best compromise is to have both.
    Attached Images

I think if you are going to ankle carry your BUG, then the J Frame 642 would be my choice. To slip the J Frame into a pants pocket is a bit bulky, although it's very lightweight. I carry G26 as primary and 642 on ankle. JMHO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links