whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380

This is a discussion on whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK folks, I still have some tax refund money left over burning a hole in my pocket ( I've been on a fire arm shopping ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380

whats a better BUG? j frame or kel-tec p3at 380

OK folks, I still have some tax refund money left over burning a hole in my pocket ( I've been on a fire arm shopping spree lately, just bought a mossberg 590 shot gun, a sig 229 and a used mini 14!)what I need is your opinion on this: I have a kel-tec p 3at in .380 that I rarely if ever use and on top of that don't like to shot( the trigger pull is to long and I cant seem to hit the mark at the range with any accuracy)I've been thinking of getting a j frame revolver instead, but I've never shot one yet, so my question is - is the j frame a good pocket pistol / BUG or should I save my cash and keep my kel tec?
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

2. Remove Ads

The J frame s the quintessential pocket gun. If you get the hammerless it will fire from a pocket...something you cant say for your auto. Plus the .38 +p is a fine defensive load. You got it and can afford it get a j frame. I like the 642, it is a very nice gun and really loved on here.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Everybody needs at least one snubby!

I switched my BUG from a P3AT to a customized 9mm j-frame. I like the .380 well enough and it is reliable but I like revolvers because they're pretty fool proof and much less prone to breakage or malfunction than autos. Plus my duty gun is a 9mm and I like the ammo compatibility and the act that it is much more powerful than the .380. I still have the P3AT and carry it on occasion when nothing else will fit.

My advice to you is to keep the Kel-tec and get yourself a j-frame to go with it. Whether you go for the Centennial (hammerless) style or the Chief's Special (external hammer) style is up to you. Like jwhite said, the 642/442 doesn't have an external hammer to snag but it is DAO, the 637 gives you the choice of SA or DA but does have an exposed hammer. I've owned both, currently I have 4 snubbies and they all have hammers but 3 of them are bobbed.

Your Keltec P3AT will work fine as a BUG. I would use your cash and get a Crimson Trace laser for it and a pocket holster that will fit a P3AT with the laser mounted on it.

There is nothing wrong with getting a J frame S&W .38 special, but depending on pocket size, it can be a little bulky to conceal IMO.
    God bless our troops!

IMHO J-Frames are too bulky for pocket carry. Only thing I do is huge work pants, or cargo shorts. Otherwise it just plain doesn't fit good enough. Too hard to get out of the pockets.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

J Frame will always go bang. P3AT/LCP not so much.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan4x4 View Post
    OK folks, I still have some tax refund money left over burning a hole in my pocket ( I've been on a fire arm shopping spree lately, just bought a mossberg 590 shot gun, a sig 229 and a used mini 14!)what I need is your opinion on this: I have a kel-tec p 3at in .380 that I rarely if ever use and on top of that don't like to shot( the trigger pull is to long and I cant seem to hit the mark at the range with any accuracy)I've been thinking of getting a j frame revolver instead, but I've never shot one yet, so my question is - is the j frame a good pocket pistol / BUG or should I save my cash and keep my kel tec?
    I replaced my Kahr Micro and Keltec .32acp with a J-frame (Smith 640), and pocket carry it every where legal as a BUG along with the Sig220...well made revolvers have less factors that affect reliability than semi autos and though the Kaltec I had was reliable for the 200 rounds I fired, the Kahr (which I originally got for a BUG) was not (VERY Limp wrist sensitive, and FTE and FTF were common for every 50 rounds fired, the manual claimed it had a "break in period" but I call BS... no well made gun should be made to "break in" when it comes to reliability and I have not seen that with SIGs), so trading both of them for a J-frame was very easy and I ave no regrets.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I have both. I use the Desantis pocket holster for both.

My S & W 442 is a little more heavy to carry in my pocket. But it is a more powerfull round with the +P than the .380.
    I also have Crimson Trace laser grips on both the Kel Tec and my 442 Smith & Wesson..
    Nick
    Glock 19 /CT Laser
    Glock 26 /CT Laser
    Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser

Better "BUG" debatable. More concealable: P3AT.

Our opinions don't matter. If you don't like the P3AT and don't shoot it and can't hit nothin if you do, then give it up. I like my keltec.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

You aren't fooling me for a second ! A should I or should I not get another gun post ,is 99% of the time followed within the hour, by a trip to a Gun Shop.

Enjoy your new J-Frame.

stick with the J frame for back up...
    -more reliable
    -more accurate
    -readily available
    -ammo readily available
    -more powerful

enjoy your new j frame
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ----------------------------------
    "Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without."

My KelTec P-3AT is of the 1st generation make, and it has never failed to perform.
    It is NOT a fun gun at the range, but then when I take it to the range, I just make sure it still fires and then give it a good cleaning.
    My Kimber is my EDC and a fun gun to shoot.

The .380 is SO EASY to conceal...that's where it earns its keep.
    I would keep the KT and use the $$ saved to stock up on ammo. OMO

Stay armed...be economical in today's economy...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HavOkSIS View Post
    stick with the J frame for back up...
    -more reliable
    -more accurate
    -readily available
    -ammo readily available
    -more powerful

enjoy your new j frame
    +1
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

"The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." - Stonewall Jackson

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I carry a J-Frame everyday, so I can honestly say my opinion is that everybody should have one.

But you mentioned you don't like the trigger on the keltec. Keep in mind the hammerless j-frame's have about a 65# trigger that has about a 3' pull to it (ok slight exaggeration). I got used to it but, I want to make sure you are aware that the trigger on the j's are not short or light.

VIP Member
    J frame is my favorite BUG. I have no personal experience with Kel-Tec.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links