S&W Model 638 or 642?

This is a discussion on S&W Model 638 or 642? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a 637 as a primary. What I like about the little pistol is it is has enough power with my Gold dots to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: S&W Model 638 or 642?

I carry a 637 as a primary. What I like about the little pistol is it is has enough power with my Gold dots to make a bad guy think only once. Second, it is concealable. Third, I just like the fact that it is few things to go wrong in a fight, like jamming.

Heres a interesting story...tonight as I shopped with my wife nature called. Well, I slipped off the fobus paddle (yes fobus..) and stuffed it and the pistol in my jeans pocket and did my business. I would have had to make some other arrangements if I had the 1911.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

Lightbulb

I like the "Humpback" Bodyguard
    "You have enemies ? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" Winston Churchill

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use" Galileo Galilei

This is my current dilema...and I like both. But I'm not sure that the 638 would get shot much in SA mode. So why have an extra place for crude to build up? I will just have to get a larger frame 4" revolver when I feel like doing some SA shooting at the range.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Another great post by Stephen A. Camp.Thank you,sir,for all of your informative articles.

I looked at both and went with the 638, although I would feel totally satisfied with a 642.

I like the snag free design combined with the ability to shoot accurately out to 25 meters in SA should the need arise as it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. I also like the ability to function check it. I also like that I can place my thumb on the hammer when holstering/sticking in deep concealment ensuring that no accidental discharge occurs (not that that's likely with that 12 lb self-cocking pull, but I like being able to do this anyway).

There is the disadvantage of lint from the pocket, but frankly, I put it only in pockets free of lint (pull pocket inside out to clean it good) or other detritus, and I have had zero problems with this issue, and in my opinion unless you carry tacks or paper-clips in your pocket, this is a non-issue.

I even like its quirky good looks ;)

Stephen, perfect timing of your post as I am currently debating this subject. I was leaning toward the 642 and after reading the great post provided by all, I am now sold on the 642. Thanks guys!

Thumbs up S&w 640

Mr. Camp; Nice write up,I enjoyed reading it,and you did very well with the pictures.I have a model 640 (38 Spl.).It is most like the 642 in your post,difference being all stainless steel.I prefer it over the lightwieghts because of the more rapid recovery time and resulting accuracy of multiple shots.

Excellent information. I bought a 642CT after reviewing different snubs. and love it.
    The cylinder/high primer check mentioned can easily be preformed by inserting a small, folded post-it note sized piece of paper in the bottom of the frame then closing the cylinder. This will hold down the cylinder catch (?) allowing one to freely spin the cylinder to check for high primers, etc. Then simply pull the paper out of the weapon.
    I am just nervous about pulling on the trigger to check.

So far the 642 has been a great CCG for me. I carry mostly in pocket when I can't wear a semi auto on my hip due to dress. +p is pretty uncomfortable to shoot (for me) even though it is obviously not a range gun. But you need to practice with whatever you carry and comfort may be an issue. So I stay away from +p. I have a few IWB and OWB holsters for this weapon if you want to try some out.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

I carry a 642 and love it.

If you prefer a wheelgun for cc, imo this is as good as it gets... The Crimson Trace Lasergrips really turn the quality snubby into a tack driver at self defense range..

JP

There is a version of the 642 that one may shoot +p ammo in but not in the 638. It is the 642-1 or 642-ILS. This may not be a consideration for most because a good standard .38 hollow point will probably suffice. Police have used this kind of ammo with just ball ammo rounds since before I was born in 1932. I have seen felons with five holes in their bodies and still able to fire a weapon. Hollow points used to be banned and were called dum-dum bullets.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ack!!! Zombie thread... brought back from the grave... (OP February 17th, 2006)

Anyway I love my 638.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

The Smith and Wesson site shows the 638 as a .38 +P and the 642 as just .38. So which one is it??

SKU: 163810
    Model: 642
    Caliber: .38
    Capacity: 5 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 1 7/8"
    Front Sight: Integral Front
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Grip: Rubber Grips
    Frame: Small - Centennial Style
    Finish: Matte
    Overall Length: 6 3/8"
    Material: Alloy/Stainless Steel
    Weight Empty: 15 oz.

SKU: 163070
    Model: 638
    Caliber: .38+P
    Capacity: 5 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 1 7/8"
    Front Sight: Integral Front
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Grip: Rubber Grips
    Frame: Small - Bodyguard Style
    Finish: Matte
    Overall Length: 6 3/8"
    Material: Alloy
    Weight Empty: 15 oz.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15703
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have to wonder if that is a misprint. I always thought the 642 was rated to take +Ps.

If in fact it cannot I would have to say the 638 hands down.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links