Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews? - Page 2

Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews?

This is a discussion on Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; P.S... I also heard don't take the pistols apart, because you might as well trash it then. So, this piece is purely defensive, shoot it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    P.S... I also heard don't take the pistols apart, because you might as well trash it then. So, this piece is purely defensive, shoot it a time or two and leave it as a car or house piece. I am considering one to keep in the car at all tiimes.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I currently Own a hipoint .380 It was my first Pistol. I got it the day i turned 21 because "i could". I didnt have the cash to drop on a nice gun so i saw an ad in the paper for a ranch store here in oregon called "The Big R" they were selling their entire stock for 69.99 each. That was news enough for me.
    They had like 3 left when i got there and there were 5 people in line for them. But the last 2 in line didn't want to wait the 1-2hr time frame in order to get one. (one sales person had to do everything so it would have taken a while) So i ended up getting one. It has never had a FTfire or a FTfeed.. I had shot every round i put through it and is very simple to use. For a first time handgunner its a nice saftey training piece and it shot exactly where i put the sights. So if you're looking for something that will be dependable and cost effective at the same time, for like a boat, RV, or camping gear.... this is your gun.
    I would go with the 9mm though because as stated before ammo is cheaper! (this i didn't know at the time of purchase)
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Man, where are you guys seeing these things for under $150? The best I've seen besides the .380 was the 9mm High Point for $159.95.

I published a review of the Hi Point 9mm carbine, which worked perfectly out of the box with reasonable accuracy regardless of the type of ammo used (all of it ball). Its only problem was that you have to be careful to slap the mags to seat the rounds properly.

I then had the opportunity to run the Hi Point through Chris Fry's Progressive FORCE Concepts carbine class, a class dominated by AR15s. That 9mm carbine worked and worked and worked -- the barrel must have stayed hot for a couple of hours. I think I burned through 400 to 500 rounds in three hours total.

While the gun does have some very rough edges and is not terribly ergonomic, it's cheap, it's reasonably accurate, and it functions. That's why these ugly, cheap guns get such good reviews -- they throw lead downrange at a reasonable price.

Administrator

Obvious Quality Control Issues

Obviously...they do have quality control issues.
    Here is how I reached that conclusion.

One only needs to read all of the above posts to make that determination.

You read the post by Phil Elmore & you read the post by CLASS3NH & they Are quite conflicting posts yet, both men know their firearms very well.

So the the only logical conclusion is that the issue is with the guns themselves. Some are good and some are bad.

Will you be able to tell a good one from a bad one on the dealer shelf?
    THAT would be a good question to ask yourself BEFORE you buy one.

Some of the preceding posts are very positive & some of the posts are very negative.

Our forum members have no reason to lie about their individual experiences with Hi~Point Firearms and so that SCREAMS "Quality Control Issues" to me.

Can anybody fault my logic? Chime in.

The ones that work just keep right on working & tossing lead downrange
    & yet some other gun shops throw them out on sale for "dirt money" & some shops refuse to carry them due to the high rate of failure, return, & repair.

Sounds to me like an EXACT early Taurus situation.
    The ones that worked...worked very well & others suffered critical unexpected breakage & catastrophic failure to function.

So it IS a firearm purchase....that very much depends on The Luck Of The Draw.

You buy a good one OR you buy a total dog for your same money.

And...also like the early Taurus they have good customer service & a good repair policy so that when you DO get a lemon they'll keep fixing it for free for you. Gee...that's WONDERFUL.
    Really nice of them. No matter how many times your gun breaks...just ship it to us...and we'll repair it & if it breaks again..."No Sweat" send it back & we'll fix it again.

So that's great if you want actually want to chance having to deal with that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are NOT wealthy then you have LESS AVAILABLE MONEY to chance on wasting or throwing away your dollars on a possible bad gun that sucks.

A GOOD reason to save up LONGER and buy a better one.

Euc,
    I've seen them at a local gun store for 99 for a 9mm. 125 for a 45.
    Check on the net, you can find them.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

QKShooter,
    I think you're 100% right. But I do know they stand behind the pistol for as long as you own it. If there's a quality control problem, they fix it.

The problem with my friend's pistol was the mags. They are cheap. I suspect if you can get a good one, you'll be happy.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

I have never owned a Hi-Point pistol personally and doubt if I ever will, but I have a nephew who does and I've shot his gun at the gun range a few times. It's looks and feels almost like a "toy" gun or one of those plastic paint ball guns to me. That being said, I saw it go through at least 100 rds of ammo without a hitch and when I shot a mag or two with it, it hit POA at 35 feet.

I asked him why he got it since I know he's owned nicer, more expensive guns. He said he paid about $150 new for it. Being mostly "plastic", he could leaving it in his truck for six months and didn't worry if it got knocked around and scratched up a bit. He also said it always worked when he pulled the trigger.

FWIW, he lives in New Orleans and is in the National Guard. He was activated during Katrina and his truck was in the 9th ward when it flooded. It was under 10 feet of water for about 10 days and the truck was a total loss. After about another 10 days, he managed to save a few things after he located his truck; the HP was one of them. It was in his glove compartment and while under water, wasn't in overly bad condition. He took it apart, dried, cleaned and oiled it and now says it shoots as well as it did before.

I guess the closest thing that comes to mind is the old Timex commercial. They may not be the fanciest or most expensive watch, but they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. I suppose it does the most that can be expected from any gun; it works.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Administrator
    Well, & seriously I'm glad that some are working and that they (The Hi~Point People) seem willing to repair the ones that won't work.
    That's a good thing.

Sorry to hear that the magazines are not the greatest quality since they will always be the primary cause of failure in most semi~automatic firearms.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I AM going to buy one, and soon. Next time my brother is in town I'm thinking of zipping up the old seabag and taking him to one of the nearby ranges. He's easygoing and will just say sure, good deal. When we get there I'll pull out my pristine S&W 29, and hand HIM a Hi-Point in whatever variation I find to be the absolute ugliest.

The look on his face will be priceless.

Hey, it's what brothers do.

You know, if they would make the carbine in 45acp and be able to accept 1911 mags, I am betting they would sell all they could make.

I would buy one.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Man, where are you guys seeing these things for under $150? The best I've seen besides the .380 was the 9mm High Point for $159.95.
    We sell 'em all day long for $120ish new.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Our forum members have no reason to lie about their individual experiences with Hi~Point Firearms and so that SCREAMS "Quality Control Issues" to me.
    To this day, we've yet to have one come back from an unhappy customer. The QC/failure rate is better than Kimber by a long shot, at least in our shop.

Administrator

I Sure DO find This Interesting.

"To this day, we've yet to have one come back from an unhappy customer. The QC/failure rate is better than Kimber by a long shot, at least in our shop."

As Compared to:

"We don't sell them , because they seem to return at a higher ocurance.......and then get/ or got sent out for repair."

OK...Who can explain that? I'm Stumped.

OK...Who can explain that? I'm Stumped.
    Hard to say - I know that individual dealers *do* have different experiences with different brands. Heck, maybe it's the fact we're nearing 5k elevation. ;0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links