Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews?

This is a discussion on Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rfurtkamp We sell 'em all day long for $120ish new. Well at those prices I see the appeal a little more....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    We sell 'em all day long for $120ish new.
    Well at those prices I see the appeal a little more.

2. Remove Ads

I've fired two, a .380 and a 9mm. On both, the sequence was: Bang! (clear jam), Bang! (clear jam)!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White

A gun rag will pimp anything for enough cash

Well said.....

"My name is Rosebudd, wit two D's fo a dubba dose o' dis pimpin'..."
    ~American Pimp
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore
    I published a review of the Hi Point 9mm carbine, which worked perfectly out of the box with reasonable accuracy regardless of the type of ammo used (all of it ball). Its only problem was that you have to be careful to slap the mags to seat the rounds properly.

I then had the opportunity to run the Hi Point through Chris Fry's Progressive FORCE Concepts carbine class, a class dominated by AR15s. That 9mm carbine worked and worked and worked -- the barrel must have stayed hot for a couple of hours. I think I burned through 400 to 500 rounds in three hours total.

While the gun does have some very rough edges and is not terribly ergonomic, it's cheap, it's reasonably accurate, and it functions. That's why these ugly, cheap guns get such good reviews -- they throw lead downrange at a reasonable price.

Phil. ...and ....QK
    You're BOTH entirly correct with what you've said. The guns throw a lot of lead down range for sure. They do work, and quite well for the most part. I'm not a gun snob by no means, and I've owned and sold a lot of these more affordable guns as well (Sterlings, Bryco, Jennings, Etc)
    What I've heard from these Customers is:
    "I want a cheap gun, that I can afford, don't want to spend a lot of money on it, especially if I don't carry it all the time"
    To me, (as in the past) as a FFL, I've attempted to sell them something that won't come back to bite me later, thus the higher quality gun.
    I have learned a very important fact though.. When selling or trading these guns, most shops won't take em in, or they want em for nothing, (due to high return/repair rate )thus, the "bad rep" they have.
    Most are thrown together with what is called "pot metal" parts..lower grades of steel, castings, and aluminum etc.
    Some work very well, others don't, so the bad rep again. People bring the Hi Points in, looking for a holster for the gun, and other than a Uncle Mike's, I've never seen a Bianchi, Galco, Safariland holster type made for it yet.
    Either way, you can get a "lemon" in almost anything (as I've posted the Thread concerning a S&W 500 Mag)
    So the battle continues, good or bad, and I guess it's a crapshoot no matter what.
    Personally, I want EVERY ADVANTAGE at my disposal and a weapon that works every time
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Well I purchased 2 high points today. Sorry no pictures, but im sure that most of you dont care (theyre nothing special to look at). The dealer told me that if I bought the 9mm compact ($140) I could have the .380 compact for $105 before tax. So I couldnt resist..

They conceal well, but they weigh alot - which doesnt matter, because I only bought them to do a range report. If I dont like them after I put acouple hundred rounds thru them, I will probably upgrade to a kahr. Im scared to find out what the trade in / resale value on these are

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    Well I purchased 2 high points today. Sorry no pictures, but im sure that most of you dont care (theyre nothing special to look at). The dealer told me that if I bought the 9mm compact ($140) I could have the .380 compact for $105 before tax. So I couldnt resist..

They conceal well, but they weigh alot - which doesnt matter, because I only bought them to do a range report. If I dont like them after I put acouple hundred rounds thru them, I will probably upgrade to a kahr. Im scared to find out what the trade in / resale value on these are

Hope they work for ya i watched a guy friday pay 319 for one ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Hope they work for ya i watched a guy friday pay 319 for one ouch
    Good Lord... I've gotten Colts and CZs and Smiths for that kind of money...

yep this guy was a know it all so i jsut stood back and laughed

Kimber and Highpoint get good reviews because they advertise.

Is there and inverse correlation between the amount of advertising and the crappiness of a gun?
    The Marshmallowist

Quote Originally Posted by soflasmg
    Kimber and Highpoint get good reviews because they advertise.

Is there and inverse correlation between the amount of advertising and the crappiness of a gun?
    Could be

Lead Moderator
    A gun that goes bang is better than a baseball bat or other such defensive arm. Some folks cannot afford a higher priced gun right off.

The dealer told me that high point are soo inexpensive because they only have about 5 employees.... Everything is done with machines, the frame is mold injected

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    The dealer told me that high point are soo inexpensive because they only have about 5 employees.... Everything is done with machines, the frame is mold injected
    Well it might be. I've been to the factory, it's a small building. When I walked into the factory proper, I didn't see that many folks. I think there are more than 5 but the point is well taken. The company is very small.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

I don't think the Factory will get much bigger i don't see them coming on like glock did nor xd.. It is nice that it is cheep and works till ya take it apart to clean it but dang how about some styling refinements to make it look less the butt end of many jokes

My HighPoint .45 works just fine after several thousand rounds. Additionally, it's fairly accurate. I have hit a milk jug repeatedly at 50+ yards with it. I don't use it for my CCW gun, but as a beater for SHTF it's reliable enough. I used mine to experiment with digital painting so now it's got a digital paint job.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links