Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews?

This is a discussion on Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a gun show and I couldnt believe how cheap the vendors were selling Hi-Point pistols... I automaticaly thought "something must be wrong ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews?

Hi-Point Firearms / Why do they get such good reviews?

I went to a gun show and I couldnt believe how cheap the vendors were selling Hi-Point pistols... I automaticaly thought "something must be wrong with these, gotta be a flaw somewhere besides the weight"

I looked them up when I got home, and they seem to be getting good reviews..

I wouldnt trust such a cheap firearm for self defense, but Im still wondering why these guns are getting good reviews?

Have any of you guyz ever shot one of these???

2. Remove Ads

Ohh no not this again ... Lets try to remain friendly so i don't have to ban anyone this time...

That said my opinion

I don't know why they get such good reviews they look like crap feel like cheep crap and i sure wouldn't trust one my self .. Maybe I'm a gun snob so be it.

I've heard some good reviews too but only out of gun rags and the few rabid fanatics that show up now and then that swear there as good as xd's or glock

A gun rag will pimp anything for enough cash

Assistant Administrator
    This is an eternal and ongoing debate!! Sometimes very hot too

The price and IMO ''fugliness'' do tend to make for ridicule, almost by default. However, while these guns get trashed as ''junkers'' they do seem to have earned a place.

The company it seems is very hot on good customer service if problems and let's face it - this gun and its ilk do in fact fill a niche - that of the very badly off guy who still wants and maybe badly needs a carry piece. This could be one he can afford.

It is IMO a big cut above the Lorcin/Jennings breed - and as such is much more a ''real gun'' even if simple and basic. I have shot one once - did not like it a whole lot but hey - it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

I think we just have to careful how we judge the piece - not letting stigma stand entirely in the way - just because!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ohh and forgot yes i have shot one and yes it did fire every time till my buddy decided to field strip and clean it went bang everytime before cleaning now wont run for a mag ..

The who experience i would rather forget

Here's my take on the whole thing:

#1. Most of the people with a strong anti High Point opinion have never shot or handled them and many have only handled them.

#2. They do serve a niche in the market.

#3. I don't think any of their guns represent any sort of real value personally.

I've handled one, I've seen several fired, and I personally am of the opinion it's like some engineer sat down and said "Okay, how many shortcuts in design and materials and quality can we take and still make a gun that will go bang?"

The cheapest I've ever seen a High Point pistol is $80 for their .380. The problem with that is, imho, .380 is expensive ammunition. If you can only spend $80 on a gun, I doubt you can afford the ammunition.

Their other pistols I've seen from $175 to $240.

For $225 I have purchased a Colt Agent and also for $225 a CZ 75B. Why would anyone in their right mind dish out $240 for a High Point when deals like this are around? Heck, I'd rather have a Bersa Thunder for $199 brand new in the box.

Their best product is probably their carbine, which actually is pretty neat at its price point and I can actually fathom why someone would want one. However, for the same money, I can get all sorts of value packed milsurp rifles and carbines.

What are they good for? Another option for people who honestly can't do any better for whatever reason. And I can understand that to many people, a new, commercially made firearm with a warranty is preferable to a used gun or a milsurp they know nothing about. Finally, I can comprehend not having months to leisurely hunt for inexpensive value packed handguns.

But me personally, unless they were much cheaper, I have no reason to get one, and if someone I cared about really needed a serious gun, I'd get them one.

Administrator

Just my own personal opinion that the ones I've looked at "first hand" and "in hand" (fairly recently) did not look/feel all that impressive to me.

I can only speak for myself but, were I shopping for a firearm I would save my own dollars up for a little while longer & buy something else in an upward direction.

Again...just my opinion & I'm sure some people will disagree & that is OK with me.

I sure would rather have one than a brick any day though.

Also remember that they have absolutely NO resale value or collector value so basically once you buy one it's yours forever unless you want to give it away.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I shot a Jennings 9mm that had a worst single action trigger I have ever felt. I honestly thought the gun was broken, but it wasn't.

The friend who owned it would load the 12 round mag down to 9 because it would work better -- although it would rarely get through a mag without stopping. When I told him I had several 9mm semis that had NEVER had a stoppage, I don't think he believed me.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

I know where they are at $169 for the hi-point 9 mm, but still... I can get a very nice used Star BM 9mm for $139. A true hammer strike piece...

I've owned them in the past. They're solid, ugly monsters...but they work.

It's the only new handgun under $150 that I'd expect to function.

For some folks who don't want to deal with the used lemons of others, it's a point worth mentioning again.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not ditching my Sigs for them.

However, they function and hit what they're aimed at. I do not want to be downrange of one.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    We have a small gunshop down here that sells almost nothing but Hi-Points. Never shot one,never even touched one,so can't offer my opinion as to weather they are a good buy. What i will offer is this..... they're FUGLY. I can't bring myself to touch one. I'm afraid that something might jump off on me. Kooties maybe.Don't know but just can't do it. Resale value ?? Your approached by a buddy and he sez that he needs money for his little daughters operation. He sez that he has a Hi-Point for sale. Do you stay,and listen further, or do you take off runnin' ?? Good or bad ? Are they worth the $29.95 or whatever they cost ?? Maybe. But not to me. ------

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I've owned them in the past. They're solid, ugly monsters...but they work.

It's the only new handgun under $150 that I'd expect to function.

For some folks who don't want to deal with the used lemons of others, it's a point worth mentioning again.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not ditching my Sigs for them.

However, they function and hit what they're aimed at. I do not want to be downrange of one.
    RFurt hit the nail on the head......"they're about 150.00
    The main reason also is for that kind of money......they work pretty good, and fit the niche for the people who can't affor or don't want to spend the money for a more expensive firearm..

They're "cost effective" for a reason........cheaper metal components, and not a lot of machining work done to them.......thus....the low price...........
    We don't sell them ,because they seem to return at a higher ocurance.......and then get/ or got sent out for repair.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I don't own a one , nor have I fired one. A good friend of mine has a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm and just loves it, and he bought his used . He keeps in in his farm truck for varmint duty. his best shot was a coyote at a hair over 100yds. A few years back , A couple of stupid teens used a Hi-point carbine in an attempt to rob one of our local teachers. Long story short is he disarmed the thug with the gun and buttstroked him into unconsciencenous, and then knee-capped his buddy when he tried to back him up. I have also heard that their customer service is very good, Maybe Remington should take some lessons from them.J.m.h.o

I've shot one. The handguns aren't that bad, for the price. They serve a niche, for people who can't afford much more. The customer service is great, the lady had to send her pistol back for repair, FTF,FTEs. It came a back in a few days and has not failed since.

I almost bought the carbine as a trunk weapon. The reason I didn't has nothing to do with the company, but that I wanted a rifle round. So I purchased an SKS. I still might purchase a .45 or two to keep in the cars as a last reseort weapon.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Talking hi point

the wife and i own three. a 9mm, a .45,and a carbine. yes they're ugly and heavy. the upsides are,
    1. they work with any ammo we've put in them.
    2.they're so inexpensive that if one of our friends, or us drop it, abuse it, use it for a hammer, etc, it's no big deal.
    3. the carbine makes a great truck, trunk, house varmint gun at a cheap price.
    4. they are accurate, especially that little carbine.
    5. if somebody breaks in the house and sees a high point maybe they'll think we're broke and leave without stealing anything, or leave some $$$ out of sympathy.
    seriously though, i like them. another thing about them, i've used them to show some people how a gun works and yes they've been dropped. i'd much rather the person drop a high point instead of a springer or s&w.

I will say this...if you need something for the house or you are indeed on a tight budget. I would say buy one. I tell ya, I shot a friend of mines and it fired consistently while hight dollar weapons failed. I don't know they just work. I will say that they are ugly. But, hey its a tool.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links