KelTec PF-9

KelTec PF-9

This is a discussion on KelTec PF-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, looking to get a small concealable auto for my little sister. I have been looking at the KelTec PF-9 since it is a less ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KelTec PF-9

KelTec PF-9

Ok, looking to get a small concealable auto for my little sister.
    I have been looking at the KelTec PF-9 since it is a less expensive, small frame 9mm.

My question is, what do you know about this brand?
    Is it garbage?
    Will is last (not for shooting all the time, just as a "in case" gun)?
    Is the recoil bad?

My sister can handle a gun, shoots pretty good too, so I'm really just looking to know if it is going to be an ok gun to keep in her purse.

Senior Moderator
    Kel-tec are good little guns, and they have great customer service. The only bad thing I can say about Kel_Tec is that you might need to use the customer servise.

The PF-9 recoil is a little snappy but not bad, you might want to look a a P-11 also.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

My wife has a P32 which is smaller and lighter and easy to handle for her. The 9mm is a bit snappy in recoil, but if your sister can handle a gun and she likes practicing at the range she should be fine with it. Personally, I don't like the Kel-tecs but I know many people who have the PF9 and absolutely love them. My carry weapons have always been a Bersa 380 or a S&W 442 .38 special. My personal opinion of the Kel-Tecs is that if you do alot of shooting it may not hold up over a period of time. Kel-Tec fans would probably disagree but I am not so sure of their longevity with heavy use.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Shoot a little, carry a lot type of gun. Pretty snappy, but nothing unbearable. I say it is a win, win. If you get it for her and she doesn't like it, then you inherit a great gun.

I'm hoping to get a PF-9 this week. People say it's not a fun gun to shoot, but it's light and small without totally abandoning accuracy and power.
    Last edited by Runcible; March 23rd, 2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: misspell

PF-9 is my EDC. I have had to send it back for repairs but when I got it back it was a brand new gun. Has been 100% reliable since I got it back. I know several people who have had zero issues with theirs... Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

Thumbs up My 2 cents...

Kel Tec makes a good firearm. Like some have added, there were problems when a new model came out...but they were quickly solved by KT's swift service department. Having said that...the PF-9 has been out long enough to have the bugs shaken out...as does the P32 and P11.

How do I know...!?

I own both a new PF-9 and a used ( 1st gen ) P32...and both are extremely reliable. The recoil of both can be a little "snappy", but that is because they are lightweight polymer guns made for conceal carry / backup...and not full sized heavy metal target guns...with adjustable sights. If you want a target piece, buy one. If you want a reliable belly gun for self defense...buy a Kel Tec !!

I trust my life to both of mine...

Pictured with intergal carry clips and LaserLyte sighting system
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Here is Kel Tec in a nut shell....Innovative, well engineered and thought out designs that leave a lot to be desired in fit and finish, and often functioning. Their sevice tech dept. will tell you straight up that at the low price point KT products sell for they cannot and do not spend a lot of time hand fiting and polishing the internal components. You can do the famous KT "fluff and buff" yourself to smooth out the rough edges or send it back to the factory and let them do it. But far too many examples have to go back for service but as others have stated their CS is very good, and they should be because they get too much practice at servicing their guns. If you go to the Kel Tec forum (KTOG) you will get the real story on KT products. I have owned several KT products over the years and I speak from first hand experience both owning and selling their products when I ran my own firearms business for many years. I spent so much time on the horn with the mothership working out techncial service issues for my customers and I got to know them personally.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I carry one everyday. I trust my life to it....but probably wouldn't/won't when the round count that i run through it gets up into the thousands.

I imagine your sister will never see the 300 round mark.

My 4ft. 80 something lbs wife carries a Kel Tec P3AT and shoots both it and my PF-9 well with no complaints of recoil. They are snappy but nothing real wild.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

I wish I started a log of my range time when I first started shooting. I think I have around 400 rounds thru my Kel-Tec PF-9. It has gone BANG every time I pressed the trigger. Factory ammo or reloads. The problems are fit and finish. The Ruger LCP .380 looks So much nicer. I sanded and polished my PF-9 and put a Houge grip on it. I have an older model and I do certain things when shooting so I donít wear it out. I donít fire the last shot in the mag so the slide doesnít lock open, and I donít slam the mag in, I press button and ease it in. But I just read about the Hammer Block Issue and wrote Kel-tec and they said send it on in. I am planning to do just that. I do not believe Kel-Tec does the Fluff and Buff as part of their service. The gun IS NOT fun to shoot. But the bullets go where I want them to, no matter how fast I press the trigger. I read because of the short barrel you should use +P ammo so the bullet will be able to achieve proper speed for best expansion with HP. The +Pís are snappy to say the least. I love my PF-9.. I trust my PF-9.. Here is a link to help with the recoil. And you can go to KTOG.com for more info. (Kel-Tec Owners Group) KTADDONS.COM

P32 and other Kel-Tecs compared to LCP

I purchased a first run Kel-Tec P32 with blue frame and chrome barrel. Even though I had to send it back to factory and then had to modify the magazines myself for reliable feed with anything other than silver tips.

That said, I have nothing but praise for the customer service and support from Kel-Tec staff.

Unfortunately, my Kel-Tec was stolen in home burglary and when I called to order a replacement they were out of stock for custom work and had no time frame for replacement.

I now have a .380 RugerLCP equipped with Crimson Trace laser site. In my opinion it is very close to Kel-Tec design but built to higher quality standards.

Would suggest the RugerLCP for your sister.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

I have a newer PF9 and have put several different types of ammo through it without any failures. Brutal to shoot but great to carry everyday.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Love my PF-9 and carry it almost daily as the primary or back up. It is one of the first made and has never failed me. Probably has somewhere around 200 rounds thru it.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by teul2 View Post
    Ok, looking to get a small concealable auto for my little sister.
    I have been looking at the KelTec PF-9 since it is a less expensive, small frame 9mm.

My question is, what do you know about this brand?
    Is it garbage?
    Will is last (not for shooting all the time, just as a "in case" gun)?
    Is the recoil bad?

My sister can handle a gun, shoots pretty good too, so I'm really just looking to know if it is going to be an ok gun to keep in her purse.
    I would recomend a good revolver of some kind. No jams or other problems assosiated with semi-autos. Either a .38spl or one of the new 327 mags. 20% less recoil than a .38spl and as much or more stopping power than a 9mm! Taurus makes them in the $300 + range and Ruger is making them also but will be a tad higher in price.
    God & Guns!

VIP Member
    As others have said, Kel-Tec can be hit or miss. I had a PF-9 that was exactly as advertised - a tiny, slim, deep concealment gun that packed 9mm punch. The trigger was long and heavy, the recoil unpleasant, and the sights/accuracy just barely acceptable. However, mine always went bang through 500+ rounds, and did exactly what it was supposed to do. I'd still have it if my then wife would put more than 2 rounds through it at any given range session.....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links