Has your handgun ever "jammed"? (Or, why I often carry a back up!)

This is a discussion on Has your handgun ever "jammed"? (Or, why I often carry a back up!) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Note to start here, "jam" ≠ "malfunction". A malfunction is any failure to function properly (failure to feed, fire, extract, eject etc.) and can include ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has your handgun ever "jammed"? (Or, why I often carry a back up!)

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar

Note to start here, "jam" ≠ "malfunction".

A malfunction is any failure to function properly (failure to feed, fire, extract, eject etc.) and can include a jam, but a malfunction is not necessarily a jam.

A jam would be when the mechanism of the handgun becomes seized in some manner, where normal free movement is not possible, without at least some substantial force used to free the mechanism.

My Glock 19 has had a total of three malfunctions in several thousand rounds (as opposed to my 17 and 26, which have been flawless in thousands of rounds).

Of the three, only one was a true "jam" (the other two being user error, where the magazine was not properly seated).

I had passed the pistol to a friend at the range, and was letting him fire a magazine of my ammo. At about the 8th round, he set it down on the tray. (I was on the lane next to his, firing one of his pistols). I found it odd that the magazine wasn't locked back. When I tried to retract the slide, I found it would move only a little. I held the pistol pointing down range (in case of a hang fire, as I could not clear and inspect the pistol), and asked him what happened. He stated he'd fired what was left in the magazine (I knew it had been full, and knew he hadn't fired 15 rounds). He assumed I'd only given him a half full magazine.

When the proper time had passed to ensure there was no hang fire, I removed the magazine and confirmed there were still rounds left. Again I tried to retract the slide, it was locked up tight. My super reliable Glock 19 (one of the finest fighting pistols ever designed, I will stand by that statement) had been turned into no better than a paper weight (or a steel object with which to strike one's attacker if in a fight).

With a lot of pushing, pulling (and cursing!) I was able to budge the slide enough (just barely) to depress the take down lever and remove the slide assembly from the frame.

Leaving the pistol in my friends care, I went out front and spoke to the store's gun smith. He advised me to bring the top end out to him, keeping the muzzle pointed down. He went to work with his tools, and a "short" 15 minutes later, he was finally able to extricate the barrel from the slide. He then set about removing the expanded case from the chamber.

What he found is what is known as a "squib" load (a round mistakenly loaded with a primer, but insufficient or no powder). The primer had detonated, but the projectile remained seated. The case had expanded, thus seizing to the chamber. (This was new, factory manuf. ammunition purchased that day at the range).

THAT is what a jam is folks, when something "freezes", "seizes" or well... "jams".

Though the Glock series of pistols is one of the most functionally reliable in the world, nothing is perfect. Anything mechanical can malfunction. If the malfunction is of the "jam" nature, it is a high probability that your firearm is out of the fight. I've always felt it was a good idea to carry more than one firearm. I don't always. But I do think it's always a good idea.

So, what about you? Have you ever had a true "jam", or a breakage or other circumstance that would have put your defensive handgun out of the fight?
    Last edited by T Bone; March 23rd, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Never jammed to the point of unusability, but my Ruger P345 had an unfortunate propensity for double-feeds before I sent it in for a new extractor. That's a lot more trouble to deal with than a simple tap-rack-bang malfunction.
    What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say? Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    It's never happened to me...yet.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Not in my Glock. Hey can anyone tell me how to start a new thread?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Not in my Glock. Hey can anyone tell me how to start a new thread?
    "New Thread" button. Upper left on the index of the the Forum you want to post in.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    "New Thread" button. Upper left on the index of the the Forum you want to post in.

Thanks Buddy!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 24th, 2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Fixed quote.

only in AR's..... never in a handgun
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

only with substandard ammunition (reloads). Never with regular factory ammunition (for both my Glock 27 and Sig 229).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Three times and then, only when using mags loaded w/UPLULAs.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

kpw
    I've had a lot of handguns malfunction. I have to say that most was ammo related. A couple of squib loads over the years. I've had a couple revolvers seize up when a bullet jumped the crimp. That's always fun. That's about it as far as being totally inoperable.
    Btw, don't blame your pistol for ammo related failures. Ain't the gun's fault.

Yes...

Stove Pipe for my Taurus PT92. 2 trips to the range in a row. I was told the magazine springs had fatigued, so I purchased new springs. 3rd trip to the range, still didn't fix the problem.

Ordered 2 new MecGar magazines and it hasn't happened since. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Note to start here, "jam" ≠ "malfunction".

A malfunction is any failure to function properly (failure to feed, fire, extract, eject etc.) and can include a jam, but a malfunction is not necessarily a jam.
    My Ruger P95 - None of the above.
    My XD 40 - None of the above
    My XD 45 - None of the above
    My Hi-Point C-9 - All of the above

I have had at least one malfunction that caused the weapon to jam on a range. A FTE caused a FTF - the round nose dived and the slide ran over it and it would not budge. It took a swift whack with a rubber mallet to free it up...which was a bit scary with a live round inside.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Had a shell jam in a Beretta 92G SD...years ago...only happened once, but it took a smith to remove it...never happened again after that...bad shell?
    After that, I used the gun to take a 20-hour course without a problem...then traded up...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My Glock 35 had a problem with FTEs/double feeds when using WWB value pack rounds with the KKM 9mm conversion barrel. everything else worked just fine. It was just that brand.

I've never had a problem with any other firearm that I own.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links