Smith and Wesson M&P .40, how many sizes?

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson M&P .40, how many sizes? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a quick question about that gun. To my understanding, there is a compact and a full size gun in caliber. I am trying ...

Thread: Smith and Wesson M&P .40, how many sizes?

I have a quick question about that gun. To my understanding, there is a compact and a full size gun in caliber. I am trying to get a holster made for my brother in law who just got his CC permit in Indiana. Well, I couldn't remember if he had the compact or full size so had my sister try and find out. She texted me it is the compact. She also stated that there is a subcompact and a full size, his is the middle one and has a 4 inch barrell. After doing research on S&W's website, it looks to me there is just a full size and a compact. I have shot the gun and I do know for sure it is not the gun that is stated on the website as a compact. It has full length grips and has a 15 rnd capacity. Am I missing something or is it just the full size version and he is mistaking?
    I know what you're thinking, "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? - Dirty Harry

Quote Originally Posted by C Zeller View Post
    I have a quick question about that gun. To my understanding, there is a compact and a full size gun in caliber. I am trying to get a holster made for my brother in law who just got his CC permit in Indiana. Well, I couldn't remember if he had the compact or full size so had my sister try and find out. She texted me it is the compact. She also stated that there is a subcompact and a full size, his is the middle one and has a 4 inch barrell. After doing research on S&W's website, it looks to me there is just a full size and a compact. I have shot the gun and I do know for sure it is not the gun that is stated on the website as a compact. It has full length grips and has a 15 rnd capacity. Am I missing something or is it just the full size version and he is mistaking?
    If it is a .40 S&W M&P with a 4 inch barrel then it's a full size .40 and the FS does hold 15 rounds.

The .40 S&W M&Ps only comes in 2 sizes Full size and Compact.
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

GMS
    All compacts have a little 'c' stamped on the slide after the Model (i.e. M&P9c, M&P40c).

The standard size does not have the little 'c'.

There is technically a larger size with a 5 inch barrel, but it is only available in 9mm. The slide marks for these guns are M&P9L and M&P9pro.

Also watch out for the thumb safety. Some of the models are available with or without a thumb safety. I have seen a few holsters that have body side guards which can disengage the safety if not properly designed.

Both sizes will work in the same holster as long as it has an open bottom to allow for the difference in slide length.
    In fact,the Full size and compact in 9mm.,.357Sig and .40S&W will all fit the same holster.
    The .45 models need a different holster because they are a bit fatter.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by john5 View Post
    The .40 S&W M&Ps only comes in 2 sizes Full size and Compact.
    That is what I was hoping for! Thanks for everybody's posts! I think I will be able to figure it out now.
    I know what you're thinking, "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? - Dirty Harry

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Sponsored Links