Taurus PT111

This is a discussion on Taurus PT111 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I picked one up last night from a local guy. He bought it new a few weeks ago and didn't think it was accurate ...

Thread: Taurus PT111

Taurus PT111

So I picked one up last night from a local guy. He bought it new a few weeks ago and didn't think it was accurate enough for him. He hadn't cleaned and it still had factory lubricant in it with powder residue on it. I took it home and began breaking it down and the very first thing I noticed was I couldn't get the slide off?!?!?! I messed with it for a while...RTM a few times and finally it just slid off?!?!? So I am thinking to myself that was annoying, but its off, so let me clean it.

It was very dirty and after I cleaned it up I was happy with how everything looked, I lubed it all up, and began the reassembly. It took some messing and reading the manual again but I finally figured it out and test fired it a few times and it was officially functioning again.

I then decided to try to take it apart again to see if the problem I had getting apart was because of how dirty it was. I couldn't get it apart AGAIN! Now I am getting frustrated thinking I am going to have to send this thing back to the factory and the good deal I got may not be so good. I mess with it for a while more and finally the slide pops off...but this time I noticed it only comes off if I apply some force (mild) I repeat the step several times and sure enough..it comes off every time now..just requires a little force and it slides right off.

I spent a lot of time last night being concerned that there was a mechanical problem with the gun because of how much trouble I was having. Now I am just thinking this is how it is designed and I am surprised at how difficult they made it. I have owned a lot of different guns and this is one of the hardest to figure out.

So...is this normal or should I still be concerned? It is the Millenium not the pro. It looks and feels awesome and it is exactly what I was looking for from a carry gun but I want to feel confident in its function.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    No my PT-111 is difficult too. I think it is a design feature.

My as been flawless so far, I've been carrying it for about 6 months and have about 600 rds through it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I don't guess that I have had any problems with mine, at least none that I remember. It is a 3rd gen PT111 Pro. Nor do I have problems with my 24/7 Pro that breaks down the same way.

If you have concerns about the funtion of the gun after putting it back together, you can try out a method mentioned by another member on here a while back. After you get the gun back together, rack the slide without the magazine in it, (no rounds in the gun, no magazine in the gun) setting the trigger, then hold the gun up, put a pencil with a rubber eraser down the barrel and pull the trigger. If the pencil pops up out of the barrel then the firing pin is striking like it is supposed to.

Maybe some range time and a few more breakdowns of the pistol will start to make it easier. Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I had problems with my PT-145, 24/7-C 9mm and my 24/7 OSS. The problem was light hits from the firing pin. The first hit was light and failed to fire. Subsequent hit from the "Second chance trigger" kept digging a deeper hole in the primer finally leaving me to believe the primer was dead. However using a different gun fired the cartridge. I found each hit dented the primer a little more, but never hit it hard enough to set it off. I had an idea as to the cause. I took spray degreaser, placed the nozzle against the firing pin and gave it a shot flushing out the firing pin channel from both ends. Then I blew it out good. Next I flushed silicone spray into the firing pin channel and blew this out to get the silicone into and around the striker and to dry the carrier liquid. Haven't had a misfire since. It's amazing how much better things work when they are free of unnecessary residue.

It is a bit tricky to get it to come apart, and then go together again. I have to RTFM every time I clean my PT111. But, it has the thumb safety that my wife likes, so I keep it.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

I have never had problems getting the slide off, just getting it back on and then getting the slide assembly pin inserted.

I figured out how to do it easily after I bought a Kel Tec P-11, which is very similar. The trick is to push down on the barrel through the action opening while pulling the slide back with your other hand.

You can probably find a good demo of complete takedown of the gun on Youtube.

I personally like the regular Millennium line better than the "Pro" line. If you call Kel Tec, they may even ship you (free of charge) a P-11 12 round mag follower if your magazine(s) are 10 round mags. The magazines are not the same. They are the exact same size, but the notch that catches the mag release is slightly different.

You can also use the Kel Tec belt clip for the Taurus Millennium.

The slide on mine sometimes comes off really easy and sometimes it doesn't. I have never forced it though. I find working the trigger around a bit, moving the barrel around or gently lifting up on the slide while pulling forward usually frees it right up.

More stuff

Also, this peice of plastic on the back of the slide keeps coming off when I take it apart. I still haven't shot it, so I am going to guess because it comes off so easy taking the gun apart, it is going to fall off when I put a few rounds down the barrel.

This happen to anyone elses?

Thanks for the tips too.
    Attached Images

Mine doesn't have that. It looks as though it is just some sort of dust cover.

This is the only pic I found that I had of the back. I took this for a comparison pic for someone on another board next to a Bersa Thunder CC in .380.

Mine breaks down fine, if you're holding it just right. Seems to be a little quirky, but it works.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Links