Glock Sights

Glock Sights

This is a discussion on Glock Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to ask a few Glock owners if they have changed out their factory sights and what is the benefit?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Sights

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Glock Sights

Just wanted to ask a few Glock owners if they have changed out their factory sights and what is the benefit?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Just wanted to ask a few Glock owners if they have changed out their factory sights and what is the benefit?
    Yes. All of my Glocks have either Heinie slant pro or ledge sights. I like their sight picture better. All of the Heinie sights are made of steel and are far more durable than the plastic sights OEM sights. The new ledge sight has a profile that allows it to be easily used for one hand remediations.

Heinie Specialty Products
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

While a lot of Glock owners do change out the polymer OEM sights, I purchased mine with factory night sights which are steel and I am quite satisfied with those. They have been durable and they do provide a crisp sight picture.

Night sights are a good idea for a fighting handgun even in the daytime, you may wind up in a darkened underground parking lot and be forced to draw your pistol.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    The night sights are kinda pricey. What about the steel 3-dot sights? Are they much better than factory?

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    The night sights are kinda pricey. What about the steel 3-dot sights? Are they much better than factory?
    Can I suggest that you try some other guns with different sights before swapping them out - if possible? I like Heinie Straight Eight's personally, but they're not for everyone.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

The factory polymer sights are ok, but if you don't like the bucket and ball setup, then yes, the three dot sights are better IMO.
    God bless our troops!

Im not a fan of the 3 dot configuration. I like the plain black. You may want to check with 10-8 Performance. They have a version of the ledge that has a plain black rear with a brass bead embedded in the front blade. This gives you a contrasting point on the front sight without the cost of the night sights. FWIW, I think that the night sight has limited application. If it's dark enough that you have trouble finding the sights, it's dark enough that you need a white light for positive target ID. As my night sights wink out, they will be replaced with the black rear sights/brass bead fronts. Here is the 10-8 link

10-8 Performance: Glock
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

The Night sights are only about 60-80 bucks a set. Spend the money...other wise the plastic sights are not real durable.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If your Glock is for Self Defense, get yourself a set of XS Big Dots. I promise you won't regret it and your acquisition time on getting on target will be greatly reduced. JMHO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Try Nitesiters Night Sights for Handguns !!!Better than Tritium!!! as a cheap alternative to tritium night sights. I believe in giving yourself every edge you can in a gunfight. We all have walked through a darkened house at night and we could still see where we were going. You will not see black gun sights unless you have a hand held light of some sort. I am not always with a flashlight, but I am always with a handgun that has night sights.
    God bless our troops!

I have used my G19 extensively in low light conditions. It has black sights. When acquiring and positively identifying my target with white light, I was able to see my sights just fine.

Senior Moderator
    I seem to be pretty tolerant of sights. I find the stock Glock sights with that big white dot on the front as, if not more, effective than the XS Big Dot, which I recently removed from my Glock.

After experimenting with sights for a while under various light conditions and considering both up close speed and longer range accuracy, I found the XS to be fast at short range and noticeably slower at longer ranges.

As for night sights, I have seen night sights glowing while light levels are still high enough to see the details of a person's face. Several realistic, likely to be encountered lighting conditions favor a night sight. One is when the threat is wearing dark clothing in reduced lighting. I commonly find conditions where I can quickly and readily identify a threat but can't see my black sight on a dark threat, even though I can recognize the threat.

Gunsite routinely demonstrates the wider than expected applications for night sights by starting their night shoots before the sun goes down. As the sun sets, you can still identify the threat fine, but without night sights hits spread on the target, plus you can't aquire the sights as quickly.

Another instance is in low, but by no means dark, light level when a threat is back lit. The black sights on the dark silhouetted threat makes it very difficult to see the front sight. Night sights stand out nicely in that situation.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    I have used my G19 extensively in low light conditions. It has black sights. When acquiring and positively identifying my target with white light, I was able to see my sights just fine.
    I do agree with you that positively identifying your target with a white light is priority one, and we both have one of the best fighting handguns going, the Glock 19. Your eyesight is probably better than mine, so black sights are better for you, while I on the other hand need all the help I can get these days. I was not trying to start a fight, only stating what works for me and offering an alternative suggestion to the OP. Hopefully there are no hard feelings between us as I feel we both have a lot to offer others on this forum.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    I do agree with you that positively identifying your target with a white light is priority one, and we both have one of the best fighting handguns going, the Glock 19. Your eyesight is probably better than mine, so black sights are better for you, while I on the other hand need all the help I can get these days. I was not trying to start a fight, only stating what works for me and offering an alternative suggestion to the OP. Hopefully there is no hard feelings between us as I feel we both have a lot to offer others on this forum.
    No fight here! I enjoy your posts and have found them to be very useful! Sorry if I sounded a bit strident.

I'm fortunate to still have good eyes. I was just trying to make the point that sight acquisition must be accompanied by threat/target identification. Sometimes, methods used for the later can help with the former.

Agreed and glad to read that. FWIW, I do have poor night vision, so I should be carrying a small light at all times.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links