What Do You Think?

What Do You Think?

This is a discussion on What Do You Think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you think of the walther brand guns?...

What Do You Think?

What do you think of the walther brand guns?
    Nothing remains the same!

Generally well built guns. The new ones are now being made by Smith and Wesson. The PPS has seemed to really draw in some followers, because of its size and SD calibers. The PPK/S is a classic of course due to James Bond. There are also many on here who carry the P99, as their EDC.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Was not very impressed with ones I saw in a recent shooting class. LOTS of jams.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shingman2345 View Post
    What do you think of the walther brand guns?
    Depends, the P-22 is great, others seem small for me.

VIP Member
    German ones--great. My Interarms PPK/S .380 has never given me any trouble, although others had some problems with the Interarms makes. It does seem to me that I am hearing about a lot of problems with the Smith & Wesson ones, although that is anecdotal, not statistical.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

The new Walthers are not what they used to be. I had a PPK a few years ago and after several returns to the company, they finally agreed to melt down the original gun and send me a new gun with the same serial #...I had a letter showing that fact. My dealer sold that as a new gun...I got something else. No more PPK's for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Thumbs down No more Walthers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The new Walthers are not what they used to be. I had a PPK a few years ago and after several returns to the company, they finally agreed to melt down the original gun and send me a new gun with the same serial #...I had a letter showing that fact. My dealer sold that as a new gun...I got something else. No more PPK's for me.
    +1.

I used to defend the S&W made Walthers, but not after this last recall. Between my wife and I we have owned 2 PPK/s, 1 PPK, 2 P22, and 1 PPS.

The PPK has been utterly reliable until the recall notice came out. Both PPK/s were garbage. One P22 slide fails to lock back on the last round now. The PPS never had any issues, but I could not get comfortable with it as a CCW. Several went back for repairs.

We have sold/are in the process of selling all but one P22.

I will not buy another S&W made Walther, or a Walther product. Money is better spent on more reliable and trouble free firearms, in my experience.

At least currently, only the PPK and PPK/S-1 are made by S&W. All other models are made in Germany and distributed by S&W. My PPS had one brief string of failure to return to battery (three times) but hasn't had a hiccup since. I think it was user error (probably limp-wristing).

Thankyou!

Thankyou very much for the info!
    Nothing remains the same!

Like any brand, some are great, some are horrible, I personally don't own any, but my boss just bought a new one (not sure what model)...seemed like a good gun, but then I never shot it so take that for what its worth.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

P22

I have some experience with the P22 as a range rental. At high round counts we experience failures. Broken sears, broken hammer springs, broken "compensators" on the 5" guns, and two complete slide failures.

In every case, the guns had more rounds than most shooters are likely to fire in a lifetime (especially with the cost of ammo lately) and Smith and Wesson covered them fully under warranty.

I have two, my wife just bought a pink one, and they will all have suppressors soon. I'm making her a matching pink can.

Links