Frustrating Range Report

Frustrating Range Report

This is a discussion on Frustrating Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took out my new Kahr PM9 tonight. Before I begin, I know there is a 200 round break in, which I'm currently working ...

Frustrating Range Report

So I took out my new Kahr PM9 tonight. Before I begin, I know there is a 200 round break in, which I'm currently working on.

Alright, loaded up the 3 magazines.......fired off about 3 rounds.......then a FTE (failure to eject, hope I'm using the right lingo). Drop the mag, empty, put the mag back, recock the slide......fire once......FTE. I tried locking the slide back with an empty magazine, I tried racking it manually. I basically shot my new pistol single shot for 40 rounds.

Out of sheer frustration, I went to the car and emptied one of my mags on my Ruger P89 with basic Winchester White Box JHP, hoping it was the CCI Brass' fault. I come back, load it up. It empties the mag without a hitch. I reload the CCI, and fire off about 40 rounds without a hiccup as well. I left feeling much better but I was quite frustrated to say the least for awhile. I came home tonight and gave the gun a good lubrication (which in hindsight, I didn't do before I went out earlier), and plan to shoot up 50 rounds at lunch tomorrow. Maybe the latter good fortune will continue. I ordered 300 rounds of Winchester White Box that I'm definitely looking forward to its arrival.

As some of you mentioned earlier, this puppy definitely isn't a range gun in the normal sense of the word. I've got a couple of nice blisters for evidence. The trigger will definitely take some getting used to, and the blister had me flinching at the end. Looks like lots of practice ahead for me. Fun shooting (when it finally did!), but I believe I may be adding the Agrip that I've seen some folks on here with. Your comments or experience is welcomed.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Administrator
    A good cleaning, lube and a quick study of the owners manual... you'll be fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I picked up a second pm9 yesterday. 100 rounds through it without a hiccup. My very first PM9 was a pile of junk. I replaced it with another that has been flawless. 2/3 of my PM9's have not had a single problem.

Nothing but WWB through all three PM9's.

As for the blisters, my pm9 doesn't bite me at all. My G27 always leaves nice blisters.

Good luck with your PM, hope it works out for you.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Thanks guys. Yes, I read my Owner's Manual much more thoroughly (I'm a skimmer), and noticed the lubrication portion. Needless to say, I learned my lesson.

I plain on just feeding it WWB from now one. Due to the ammo crisis, all I had left was 100 rounds of CCI Brass I got for Christmas. I should have shot those through my P89 instead of my WWB I had. That P89 will eat anything.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    So I took out my new Kahr PM9 tonight. Before I begin, I know there is a 200 round break in, which I'm currently working on.

Alright, loaded up the 3 magazines.......fired off about 3 rounds.......then a FTE (failure to eject, hope I'm using the right lingo). Drop the mag, empty, put the mag back, recock the slide......fire once......FTE. I tried locking the slide back with an empty magazine, I tried racking it manually. I basically shot my new pistol single shot for 40 rounds.

Out of sheer frustration, I went to the car and emptied one of my mags on my Ruger P89 with basic Winchester White Box JHP, hoping it was the CCI Brass' fault. I come back, load it up. It empties the mag without a hitch. I reload the CCI, and fire off about 40 rounds without a hiccup as well. I left feeling much better but I was quite frustrated to say the least for awhile. I came home tonight and gave the gun a good lubrication (which in hindsight, I didn't do before I went out earlier), and plan to shoot up 50 rounds at lunch tomorrow. Maybe the latter good fortune will continue. I ordered 300 rounds of Winchester White Box that I'm definitely looking forward to its arrival.

As some of you mentioned earlier, this puppy definitely isn't a range gun in the normal sense of the word. I've got a couple of nice blisters for evidence. The trigger will definitely take some getting used to, and the blister had me flinching at the end. Looks like lots of practice ahead for me. Fun shooting (when it finally did!), but I believe I may be adding the Agrip that I've seen some folks on here with. Your comments or experience is welcomed.
    I don't know why they don't tell you, but most pistols come dry as a bone from the factory and need gun oil. Some need light white grease in a couple points for good best performance.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I don't know why they don't tell you, but most pistols come dry as a bone from the factory and need gun oil. Some need light white grease in a couple points for good best performance.
    All three PM9's I've purchased have been VERY well lubed from the factory.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

A couple years back, I had a Kahr PM9 for several months. Took far more than the "recommended" 200rds break-in minimum. Mine went over 700 and then required a trip back to Kahr, before things went smoothly, after which time it seemed fine.

Range Reports from my original PM9: click.

That experience temporarily harmed my hopes for the gun as a decent backup and occasional primary. It's still the single best package on the market, IMO. Many, many people report perfect operation with it, so I'm sure that mine was simply one that required a bit of tweaking and 'smithing. I'll get back into the PM9 at some point, because there simply isn't anything else offering that degree of balance, comfort and firepower in that size.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hate you had issues with your PM. Hopefully, it will work out the kinks in the near future. My wife has one and overall it's been great thus far.
    Last edited by Gamer; March 28th, 2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Content

Shot 50 more rounds today...............and everything went off smooth like it was supposed to.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Shot 50 more rounds today...............and everything went off smooth like it was supposed to.
    Good. Hope you never have a frustrating day at the range again. Things like that should never happen.

Good to hear you on are on the right path.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Good to hear, stay with it they are the best small CCW semi on the market IMO.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Links