to trade or not to trade.

This is a discussion on to trade or not to trade. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iím thinking about trading in my ss Beretta 96 towards a new gun. I'm trying to convince myself to do it. This was my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to trade or not to trade.

to trade or not to trade.

Iím thinking about trading in my ss Beretta 96 towards a new gun. I'm trying to convince myself to do it. This was my first hand gun and at the time I really wanted it. Now it just sits on the night standÖ next to the glock (my carry gun) and if I was to grab a gun it would be the glock because I donít shoot the beretta much and I am really good with the glock. I donít find the beretta very accurate either. Though it might be a practice thing. There is a gun show this week end and I might bring it along incase I find something I want. I was thinking about getting a 1911 or a glock 21. do you guys think the beretta is worth hanging on to or should I trade it?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If you are a nostalgic person, keep it since it was your first gun. If you are more a practical person and you don't see yourself putting more practice time with it, trade it off for something new to you.

I know that's not helpful, but it is one way to think it through.

If you are looking for opinions, I have a hard time parting with any good gun. I have only traded one away and that was because the gun was horrible (imported, pieced together CETME).
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    If you don't use it, even as a home defense weapon, I'd say go ahead and get rid of it and get something you will use. I would go with an outright sale of it over a trade. Gun dealers are not going to give you anywhere near what it is worth, especially at a gun show. My suggestion would be clean it up, put it in it's original box and put a price on it that you want. I'm sure you'll get some offers at the gun show.

I would think long and hard about giving up the firepower of the high cap gun right now. The Ban is sure to come and the gun will be worth a lot more then. If you still want to trade it, that would be the time.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

I do know that selling the gun will be the better way to go. But what Im trying to decide is this one worth keeping in the collection?
    How much should I get for it if I sell it? I do still have the box the gun is in perfect working condition. It does have a few blued parts because when they broke beretta said the stainless parts are brittle and sent me the blued ones for free. So the slide catch and extractor are blued. I have 4 clips and 2 holsters.

Go to gunbroker.com Look at a bunch of the same gun and take and ave price. Thats what I do most of the time and it works out ok. If you sell it to a friend you will come out better I would think. You both end up getting a better deal. Gun shows and pawn shops will nail you to the wall. Good luck.

I was looking at gunbroker and there are none with a buy now price and the three that are on there are new in box. The starting bids are a little over $600 so maybe I will try getting $500 for used with the extra and the ammo I have left.
    What are peoples opinion of the beretta 96/92? Out dated? Does anyone carry one anymore?

96/92's are great guns! As for the AMMO I would just hang on to it or use it to fall back in love with your Beretta.

I keep a taurus 92 with 3 mags (copy of your Beretta) in the trunk of the car 24/7. Nice to have it handy if I ever need it. Shoots like a champ and I don't realy like taurus guns. Picked it up 15 years ago for $200.00 used. Just nice to have around.

traded or sell it and get a G21SF I love my G21SF

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    I keep a taurus 92 with 3 mags (copy of your Beretta) in the trunk of the car 24/7. Nice to have it handy if I ever need it. Shoots like a champ and I don't realy like taurus guns. Picked it up 15 years ago for $200.00 used. Just nice to have around.
    No disrespect 2gunken, but that Taurus (good semi IMO) won't do you much good in the trunk if you need it. In most cases you'll need it quickly and attached to your body is the fastest/safest way of carrying it.

Mr. White, Since you already have the Glock and are happy with it I'd sell the Beretta and buy me a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Everything you need in a .45 and a great weapon. Mine is my primary CCW with a few mods. They are also very addicting. It can easily be carried year round with the right IWB holster, belt and shirt. It's also the most reliable pistol I've ever owned and packs a good whallop. JMO

Springer Standard (1990 version of the Mil-Spec)with a HBE DC Special
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; March 27th, 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhite View Post
    Iím thinking about trading in my ss Beretta 96 towards a new gun. I'm trying to convince myself to do it. This was my first hand gun and at the time I really wanted it. Now it just sits on the night standÖ next to the glock (my carry gun) and if I was to grab a gun it would be the glock because I donít shoot the beretta much and I am really good with the glock. I donít find the beretta very accurate either. Though it might be a practice thing. There is a gun show this week end and I might bring it along incase I find something I want. I was thinking about getting a 1911 or a glock 21. do you guys think the beretta is worth hanging on to or should I trade it?
    If I ever happened across another Beretta pistol, I'd be trading it in a heartbeat for something better. Just my opinion of course.

A long, long time ago an old man gave me a bit of advice which pertains to the age old question of "keeping or selling"! What he said was for me to give some serious thought about the direction(s) I wanted to go. I gave it some thought, made some decisions, and used those decisons to guid my future purchers/sales. Won't say it has been perfect but it has resulted in me making better keep/sell decisions. FWIW Anyway it beats the heck out of random keep/sell decions which come back to haunt me later on.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Go ahead and trade or sell it, but get what you want to have!

I made a promise to myself that I will never sell or trade another gun ever. So when I get a new one its something I really like no matter how I will use it.

Beretta? Trade your way up...
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links