SHipping just a slide?

This is a discussion on SHipping just a slide? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you are shipping just a slide do they have to return it to you through a FFL or can they ship it direct? I ...

Thread: SHipping just a slide?

SHipping just a slide?

If you are shipping just a slide do they have to return it to you through a FFL or can they ship it direct? I want some night sights put on a gun.

2. Remove Ads

You can throw it in the mail, no FFL required. If you are shipping a gun to an FFL (dealer, gunsmith, factory, etc), you don't need an FFL to ship or receive it back. But, you can't ship a gun (frame) through the post office without an FFL. As an individual you need to use Fedex, UPS, etc.

ranburr

VIP Member
    No restriction for shipping just the slide. Can be shipped any way you wish, USPS, UPS, FedEx.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    +1 what they said

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Any non serialized parts may be shipped in any manner you choose, I shipped the slide, barrel, recoil spring guide rod and take down pin of my LCP to Robar by USPS to be refinished in their NP3. It is perfectly legal to do so. The parts will be shipped back directly to me.
    God bless our troops!

Really it depends on what you are doing with it. If you are sending the pistol to a smith or to the manufacturer then you don't have to send it through an FFL. The only way it has to go through and FFL is if its changing ownership.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Really it depends on what you are doing with it. If you are sending the pistol to a smith or to the manufacturer then you don't have to send it through an FFL. The only way it has to go through and FFL is if its changing ownership.
    Yeah, owner to manufacturer doesn't require a FFL. I did this once but I had to use UPS overnight. I'm glad the manufacturer paid for it because it was $60+. Anybody know if you must use overnight to ship the whole gun to a manufacturer? I didn't know we can do this with a gunsmith also. Always good info on this forum.

Administrator
    The OP asked about shipping a slide only in order to have night sights added to it.

While the additional firearm info is appreciated - it is all off topic to the very specific questions asked in this thread regarding shipping only a firearm slide.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Just the slide does not have to go through an FFL.

A whole gun going somewhere as long as it is not for a sale has to go overnight through Fed Ex or UPS.

A partial gun (minus barrel on a semi, or without the cylinder on a revolver) can go with any provider and it doesn't have to go overnight.

I found this out the hard way. I sent a revolver to Magnaport to have some custom work done and was charged for the overnight return shipping. The second gun I sent to them I called ahead of time and they told me to not ship it with the cylinder and it could go ground. Saved me quite a bit of money.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Just the slide does not have to go through an FFL.

A whole gun going somewhere as long as it is not for a sale has to go overnight through Fed Ex or UPS.

A partial gun (minus barrel on a semi, or without the cylinder on a revolver) can go with any provider and it doesn't have to go overnight.

I found this out the hard way. I sent a revolver to Magnaport to have some custom work done and was charged for the overnight return shipping. The second gun I sent to them I called ahead of time and they told me to not ship it with the cylinder and it could go ground. Saved me quite a bit of money.
    A slide does not qualify as a firearm so it can be shipped by any carrier, and does not have to go through a FFL.

My understanding is that the frame is considered the firearm. If you ship the frame you cannot ship by USPS. A SA without a barrel or a revolver without a cylinder still is considered a firearm that has to follow the same rules for shipping a complete firearm.

Whether or not it goes overnight is the rules of the carrier.

If I am incorrect please correct me with the applicable ATF rules.

Regards,
    Jerry

Links