New Here & Glock 17

This is a discussion on New Here & Glock 17 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone! I am new here to this forum and wanted to know what you experienced CCW people think of using a Glock 17 for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here & Glock 17

New Here & Glock 17

Hello everyone!

I am new here to this forum and wanted to know what you experienced CCW people think of using a Glock 17 for CCW?

I have just purchased a brand new G17 and picked it up on Thursday. Going to attend my CCW class tomorrow and get to shoot the new gun too.

Anyway, I was hoping to find out more about what people think of using the G17 for this purpose. I tried out the G19 and was tossing between the two but to me trying both with an inside the belt holster, I felt little to know difference between the two sizes. I have shot other Glocks in the past and like the full size grip way better for my needs.

Please let me know what you think.....

2. Remove Ads

Greetings and Welcome from Fayetteville, NC!!!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. I've got a 17 and like it. Get a good holster, belt combo. You can carry it all right.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Thans for the welcome guys!

Glad to know th G17 carries well with the right holster. I have a new holster made by Galco that seems to feel pretty good with it, what type are you using with your G17?

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Go Glock...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum Ed. Glock fan myself. Nothing wrong with the G17 IWB concealed IMO. I've tried it out once or twice in the same holster I carry my G27 and G19 in daily. I use a DeSantis Scorpion almost exclusively for CC, and this kydex holster has an open bottom. The G17 stabs me in the hip/leg when I sit with it, so it's out for the summertime carry IWB the way I do pretty much. I do carry my G17 or G22 OWB concealed when conditions are right. I do like the full size Glock grip as well, but I must say they do feel awkward for me compared to my favorite G19 which apparently is the perfect carry pistol for me nearly 95% of the time. If your physical characteristics and gear allow you to carry that G17 comfortably all day long, then there's no better option for you that I can think of. Go yee unto the valley of the sheep and fear no evil.......(and Glock on!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Welcome to the forum Ed. Glock fan myself. Nothing wrong with the G17 IWB concealed IMO. I've tried it out once or twice in the same holster I carry my G27 and G19 in daily. I use a DeSantis Scorpion almost exclusively for CC, and this kydex holster has an open bottom. The G17 stabs me in the hip/leg when I sit with it, so it's out for the summertime carry IWB the way I do pretty much. I do carry my G17 or G22 OWB concealed when conditions are right. I do like the full size Glock grip as well, but I must say they do feel awkward for me compared to my favorite G19 which apparently is the perfect carry pistol for me nearly 95% of the time. If your physical characteristics and gear allow you to carry that G17 comfortably all day long, then there's no better option for you that I can think of. Go yee unto the valley of the sheep and fear no evil.......(and Glock on!)
    Thanks for the info.. I have this model holster Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters and it feels pretty comfy inside the belt. I think it needs to stretch the leather a bit though as it is new and pretty tight.

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Welcome from Alaska!

The G17 is fine for CCW as long as you find the proper belt and holster combination that works for you. I carry the G19 in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard with a matching DeSantis double mag carrier, and I use the Wilderness Instructors CSM belt to carry it all. Good luck on the CCW class, I'm sure you will do well.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

welcome to the forum.

I've carried a 17 quite a bit using a Milt Sparks SSII IWB and a Sparks or 5.11 belt. No issues.
    I've even carried it in the appendix position (my main method of carry) a few times but generally carry the 19 since it conceals just a little better when carried up front.

get a good holster and belt and you'll have no worries...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Welcome to DC. Not a Glock fan but if it works for you then go for it!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member
    Welcome from Virginia. It won't work for me , but if you like it, than what else matters.

I alternate a 1911 and a G17 as my daily carry. The G17 does fine, I carry IWB at about 3:30, good belt and good holster will snug it up fine, I dress around the gun but have few problems with concealment.

You'll do just fine with it.

Thanks everyone here for all the great welcomes and info.

This is a cool forum and I am glad to be here.

That 19 will easily carry better in most situations than the 17...however if you are willing to wear the proper clothing and holster/belt combo, you can carry it EDC, but most really prefer the 19.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links