Brand of 1911

This is a discussion on Brand of 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I looked at a commander sized 1911 today a the gun shop nice basic gun beavertail grip safety, extended hammer and trigger Checked wood grips ...

Thread: Brand of 1911

Brand of 1911

I looked at a commander sized 1911 today a the gun shop nice basic gun beavertail grip safety, extended hammer and trigger Checked wood grips at a reasonable price about $500. I thought the maker was Highpower but I cannot find anything on the net. Anybody know what I might have been looking at.

Edit:
    May have been Rock Island Armory or Armscor Pretty sure it was made in the Philippines but the only thing I saw on the slide was High Power and the ones on RI site had Armscor on the slide

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not sure, but judging from the price it might be a Rock Island Armory. Made in the Philippines. I don't have any experience with them, but some here have them and like them.

B52
    I have seen Highpower 1911's in my local gun shops for around $399...personally I would get a SA milspec for a few dollars more. RIAs are good too if that's what it was.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

+1 on the Springer Mil-Spec. Comes stock with everything you need IMO for a carry 1911 and SA has THE BEST customer service if you need it.

Personally would opt for the full size version. The original 5" design is less prone to giving you any problems versus a chopped 1911 IMO and is just as easy to carry concealed.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    The Rock Island 1911's in my area are selling for under $400. That price seems a little high to me. For that money, you could buy a SA Mil-spec. My 2 pennies.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

It sounds like the RIA Tactical, which includes the beavertail grip safety, ambi-thumb safeties, full-length guide rod, and Novak-style sights. $500 may be a wee bit much for an RIA Tactical, but it's not too bad. If it was the plain RIA 1911, then that would definitely be too much.

RIA is Armscor in the U.S. You shouldn't be able to find a new Armscor in the U.S. anymore, just RIA. I know someone who had two of the Armscor 1911's...a blued 1911A1 and a blued 1911A2 (hi-cap). They were good guns, and shot well, but he sold them both. The RIA 1911's are Parkerized instead of blued.

Good guns for a good price with GREAT service (Advanced Tactical provides the support, out of NV, I think).

-JT

I carry OWB so barrel length is a concern to me for concealment I don't want the Full compact I have my S&W .40c for that but I like the Commander size. As for price it might have been closer to $400.What I liked was it came with a lot of extras for the price, finish was plain parkerized but I could get it refinished later probably to a 2 tone finish.I really don't want to drop $600- $800 or more on a 1911 right now, maybe in a few years that is why I liked this one reasonable price and if I like the 1911 for carry can get a better one in a few years.

VIP Member
    Sounds a little high for a RIA. Though in my opinion RIA are not bad weapons. It might be a Charle Daley which in my opinion are not as good as a RIA.

I'm still trying to figure out why any 1911 would be stamped "High Power."
    I know Charles Daley is made in the Philippines and at one time they made both 1911s and High Powers, they discontinued their HP production though.

The beavertail with extended hammer is sort of confusing as well. King's Gunworks use to makes a beavertail safety they claimed would work with a standard spur hammer but normally a beavertail safety requires a Commander style "loop" hammer.

The Browning designed High Power uses a fixed tang that vaguely resembled a beavertail but it's part of the frame and doesn't move. They also came with spur type hammers.

Being that CD produced both models in the P.I. I'm confused about which gun you were actually looking at - and then there's the possibility of some new company that I haven't heard of making guns under the High Power name.

Either way, IMHO you'd be better off putting the cash toward any number of U.S. produced guns. What may look like a fine gun at first glance, could very well be a problem child if and when you go to customize it and find the holes don't align properly or aren't quite up to mil-spec dimensions.

A base model SA Mil-spec or G.I. are both good guns with good customer service standing behind them should something go wrong. Either model can be found in used condition for at or below what you're looking to spend as well.
    Jack

Links