range report and why I go to the range.... - Page 2

range report and why I go to the range....

This is a discussion on range report and why I go to the range.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HappyGunner I know that going to the range is important even if I have to force myself to go these days. It's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    I know that going to the range is important even if I have to force myself to go these days.

It's really the only way I have of being sure all is good to go for carry. Both the firearms and myself.

I think I posted a few weeks ago that after around 200 rounds I felt beaten up some. But after getting some good advice from other members here I think I can work around the problem.
    My forearms felt like I spent hours in the gym.. I know what you mean.

Thanks everybody

RSSZ- I agree I aim CM/centermass.. but I don't look at them as headshots, I look at them as an area where I aimed and shot at. I aim at different points on most targets just to see how often I hit what I was aiming at.

EUC- good point on shooting what you carry. And Yeah I kep the mags packed while sitting around the house. Thanks for the info though

Artz- I am sure most of us want tactical practice

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    My only problem with your target is that I count approx. 50 rounds fired at the head with 5 clear misses and 2 borderline to incapacitate him. (the ear shots). That 86% accuracy. Where do the 5 misses wind up?

Furthermore, remember that you are absolutely legally, morally and ethically responsible for where those misses wind up.

You are shooting at a static target, ie. one that is not moving, and you only hit 86%. Keep practicing and don't try head shots until you are sure you can score 100%, 100% of the time.

IMHO of course.
    I agree that I am responsible for every round that comes from a weapon I pull the trigger on. If you read my other reply, it is more of an aiming exercise. I aim at the K5 in the head and the chest. I sometimes aim at the left elbow K5 as well. Again just to see how close I am getting to where I am aiming. Aim small miss small.

MM- I wish I read your reply 1st..lol.. this is EXACTLY why I take head and other shots... and you are correct might be you can't see his/her chest, you may only see a leg,head,arm,etc.. In the time it takes to tape up the target you can shoot more. Theer is a large piece of paper there. Use as much as possbile. Again it's not what you aim to shoot, but where you aim to shoot.

Tangle gets a +1 as well

Senior Moderator
    Bags,

I got distracted. You bought a great gun and I am more than glad to see you shooting it with enthusiasm, and for the right reason - SD.

You mentioned "...My forearms felt like I spent hours in the gym.. ". From my experience, the brain actually fatigues before the body.

If you are just getting started, keep in mind that practice alone isn't effective - it takes good, sound, practice to maximize your improvement. If you practice mistakes, you get better at them; if you practice good techniques, you become a better shooter. Which brings me back to your brain.

If you're really concentrating on technique and improving your shooting, your mind will fatigue. I see it over and over and over in people I train. Other trainers see it too.

I was working with a guy not long ago and we were able reduce his groups dramatically. Then I had him practice the techniques until the groups started to spread. I knew at that point, his mind was done and to go further would just be undoing the progress. I explained that to him and he heeded the advice and quit, while he was ahead, so to speak, and hence on a good note. He had shot only 75 rounds. But that was enough. I'm good for about 200 rounds before my mind either gets tired or distracted.

Another thing I see over and over is people want to shoot too fast, meaning faster than they are capable of. Speed will come naturally as a result of slow fire and good technique, you just have to be patient.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    I understand why the "head shot" is taking a little heat, but I have a different take on it.

My wife and I both shoot the COM right out of the target in fairly short order. At this point, you really can't see where you are hitting. So, rather than change targets, we simply shift our point of aim up to the head area so we can see & correct our fire.

Target tape would be good, but isn't available at the local range.

In the future, I think I'll either buy some smaller bull's-eye targets or just print some up, to tape over the COM of the silhouette target, once it's been shot out.

Besides, if you want to relate paper-punching to "real life," if I put 4 or 5 rounds into a BG's COM and he's still a threat, then it may be that he's wearing some darned-good body armor or is "methed-to-the-max," and I will shift to the noggin' to find his personal "off-switch."

mm
    i agree with ya here i start the Com and when its gone ill switch to other places on the target Head arms etc to keep from changing

Also i agree if i put 4-5 com and he ain't stopped he's probley not gonna till ya clear the brain pan out

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    ...Also i agree if i put 4-5 com and he ain't stopped he's probley not gonna till ya clear the brain pan out
    Absolutely! He could have a vest on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links