OK...I am a guy who likes something different.

This is a discussion on OK...I am a guy who likes something different. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted yesterday about a Guardian .32 NAA. Now after some research I find that Innovative Arms, makes a drop in barrel for the LCP ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK...I am a guy who likes something different.

OK...I am a guy who likes something different.

I posted yesterday about a Guardian .32 NAA. Now after some research I find that Innovative Arms, makes a drop in barrel for the LCP to convert to .32 NAA. Now I know a few of you will say just get a .380 or a .32 acp. Technically I will have a .380, and a .32 NAA. I like having different stuff than others, and a search shows that quite a few ammo dealers are still stocking the Cor-Bon in 32 NAA. So I will still be able to buy ammo for it on a regular basis. And lets not kid our selves this is not gonna be a range gun.

Has anybody dealt with Innovative Arms?? Let me know what you think?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Too each their own I guess. Odd ball caliber with limited availability and high price. I'd skip it myself.

jfl
    What ever works for you !

Personally, I like to be able to find ammo easily, anywhere. Therefore I have 4 9mm Including the UZI, 1 12 ga. 1 30-30 and 1 .38/.357.
    My wife has 2 .357.

And then a few oddball calibers like 7mm Laser .30 Herrett etc. for which I reload.

We shoot much less than we used to, but still ~1200 rds/year, so availability and prices are a factor.

If you are happy with your gun, can shoot it accurately and find it 100% reliable, more power to you.
    Any gun is better than no gun !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I'm not a good one to talk against oddball purchases as I've made a few, but I've never understood the 32NAA. It makes less energy than a 380 and shoots an average 60 grain bullet so it's going to shed what energy it has very quickly. In addition, I checked out Innovative Arms site and at $275.00 for the additional barrel, it's not an inexpensive option.

If you're only concern is ammunition availability, I'd take the 275 for the barrel and invest in reloading equipment and reload the 380. But, if your going for the "uniqueness" factor then go for whatever you want.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I say go for it...I'd do the same.

As a matter of fact, I just purchased a conversion kit for my Glock-26.

(from Advantage Arms...but the same idea)

I bought the conversion kit to make my G-26 use .22LR...

Congrats for your 'out of the box' thinking.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was at my local "toy store" to make layaway payments last Wednesday. While I was there they took five different calls from people looking for .380 ammo. The clerk I talked to said those calls come in all day long, seems nobody has any locally. My point is, BOTH calibers you're looking at might have limited ammo availability.

With that said, if that gun and caliber option gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then go for it. Not every gun purchase has to be practical and sometimes a unique piece just adds flavor to a collection.

I've got three handguns on layaway at the moment:
    A Kahr MK9 that I'll carry on suit and tie days.
    A S&W 629PC Carry Comp that I have NO need for but plan to stash it away in the closet (unfired) as an investment.
    A S&W 396 Nightguard in .44spl that I might or might not carry and/or shoot, I haven't quite decided yet.

Not all of my gun purchases make sense and I certainly don't "need" any of the ones I'm currently making payments on but I liked each one when I handled it and there's worse things I could be spending my money on.

Life's too short, buy it if it makes you happy!
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    A couple years ago Keltec made a few .32NAA pistols, but it never went into full production. I don't know why.

It seems like it might have a little more zip thsn the .380. Plus with Midway USA stocking SD and practice ammo. I won't really have to worry about a large part of the shooting population buying up the ammo....and it will be able to shoot .380 as well when supplies replenish. LIke many of you have said..it is a little bit frivolous but I am sure we all have this kind of gun in our collection somewhere.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I say go for it. You want a 32 NAA, this way you can practice with 380 and carry the 32 NAA.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    It seems like it might have a little more zip thsn the .380. Plus with Midway USA stocking SD and practice ammo. I won't really have to worry about a large part of the shooting population buying up the ammo....and it will be able to shoot .380 as well when supplies replenish. LIke many of you have said..it is a little bit frivolous but I am sure we all have this kind of gun in our collection somewhere.
    More zip? I hope your not meaning a more powerful cartridge. The
    .32 naa doesnt have more "zip" then the .380 acp in any way.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I can understand having something different from everyone else. I like being different too, but when it comes to carry guns I prefer having something that is common, and is easy to replace if my gun is ever taken in as evidence. Guns that are strictly for range use I wouldn't mind having some of the more odd ball guns out there.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I like oddball. In my local area of CCers I am one of 2 that carry 24/7, and I carry a fullsize frame gun. Im also a fan of the .22mag revolver for CC.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    As maclean 3 said "Life's too short, buy it if it makes you happy" and you can afford the barrel do it!

I love S&W .41 mags which many think is an odd ball caliber. I consider it a great bad guy stopper! Have taken 37 deer with the round with fantastic results. If it'll stop a 200 lb. deer I feel confident it will take out a 200 lb. criminal if needed.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    Back when I carried a service revolver, my partner carried a S&W.44 special with those funky moon clips. It was an impressive piece although if we got in a bind, he would be out of luck since the department carried 357s. Then again, I have a P7 on lay-away so Im the odd ball out if I need parts and service. Oh well
    Regards,

The .32 NAA (32/380 cartridge) is a bottle-necked cartridge. It's essentially a .380 ACP necked down to .32 ACP. It launches a 60 gr. .32 caliber proprietary Hornady bullet in excess of

1222 fps. from the 2.5" NAA Guardian barrel. It generates 199 ft. lbs of energy at the muzzle. (Quoted from defensereview.com)

The NAA website quotes no more than about 1000 fps out of the 380 Guardian. I dont figure the kinetic energy is much more than the 32 NAA if any.

That just brings it back to the old small fast bullet versus big slow bullet debate. Yeah it'll run me in the 5-600 range or more for the conversion. But lots of people spend that on a snub. and I'll have two claibers with an extra barrel. So it is really not that far fetched an idea.
    Plus how many people you know with a .32 NAA LCP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links