Ruger sp101 357?

This is a discussion on Ruger sp101 357? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm looking at buying this gun for $379. Used only a few times. Is this a fair price? Also the trigger pull is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sp101 357?

Ruger sp101 357?

Hi,
    I'm looking at buying this gun for $379. Used only a few times. Is this a fair price? Also the trigger pull is a bit stiff is there an easy fix to this that I can do myself?
    Thanks Bob

2. Remove Ads

I'd say that price is fair for a little used SP101. The trigger will smooth out a bit with some use and some dry fire. My advice is...go for it. Welcome to the forum.

You can get a calibration pack from Wolff Springs. There are a couple of good vids of disassembly on youtube.

Does it have a hammer? That is about what I paid for a brand new hammerless one a little over a year ago.

Just bought one new at $499 plus tax and fees, so I'd say you should go for it. Wish I had found it first. Welcome to the forum !

Thanks for the quick replies and welcomes to the forum. The gun is hammerless. I am happy with a fair price . The dealer is a friend and he needs to make some profit too. I'm trying to get on a gun a month club while the getting is good and the wife approves.
    Bob

Great thing about them is that you can swap out the front blade for something better.

take the cylinder off the crane and clean the gunk out.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wecome friend. First of all it's an excellent gun and a good price. Especially considering the market conditions! Grap it while you can. You can order new springs (trigger) of the internet for about $8. All you have to do is change the stock main trigger spring with the new lighter one. The pack you order comes with three, I used the middle weight. It's a VERY easy job that only takes a screw driver to get the grips off and there are good posts on you tube to show you how.

When you're done the trigger is a LOT better an it does get better with age. (if you keep shooting it).

SP101's can have some sharp edges along the frame, trigger guard, and even the back top end of the trigger, but again, this is something you can easily fix with some 600 grit emery paper. You just gently work those sharp leading edges. That's the nice thing about stainless and the other poster is spot on about the advantage of being able to have other front sights installed. For many of us, this is something we WOULD NOT try as it typically requires a special punch and then you sometimes have to drill out the hole to fit the new pin for the new sight. Still you can send the gun to a gunsmith and even with shipping you have a great new front sight for $100 or so and it's worth every penny. For defensive use the sight posted above is outstanding!

Get it while the getting is good!

So what if it is used. I am told they are so over built it will be working long after I am Dead. (of old age that is, not like shot or ran over tomorrow).

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    take the cylinder off the crane and clean the gunk out.
    I haven't done that yet. Is it hard to do? All I have done so far is put on a Houge Grip. And clean the carbon off the front of the cylinder a bunch of times, Man does that get dirty fast!

Gemini Custom does an outstanding job on the SP101, I'm sure one of these guys here can post a link and possibly pics too - Gideon, maybe?
    As for the price, I'd buy it myself. Prices aren't going down in the foreseeable future and right now the gun market is on fire with people looking to buy whatever they can, while they can. You might want to stock up on ammo as soon as possible too, for the very same reasons.
    Jack

Here is the link to a good disassembly of a SP101:

YouTube - Off the rack...Ruger SP101 Disassembly

The sight is an XS Standard Dot. It is not on their website. You just have to call them and they will hook you up. I am not sure why they don't have it on there. I think it was about $60, I had my gunsmith install it for me for about $30. I highly recommend having someone do it for you, unless you consider yourself a competent home gunsmith. You have to drill a tiny hole in the sight.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Does it have a hammer? That is about what I paid for a brand new hammerless one a little over a year ago.
    Do they make a "hammerless" version? I thought you could only get a spurless hammer but the SP101 always has an exposed hammer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

The hammerless version in .38 2inch, was the SPNY, made for NYPD. Only 2000 made. I own one but do not have a pic to post.

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Do they make a "hammerless" version? I thought you could only get a spurless hammer but the SP101 always has an exposed hammer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I meant spurless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links