Question for S&W Sigma owners

This is a discussion on Question for S&W Sigma owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A customer came in a few weeks ago and purchased a S&W Sigma in .40sw. I ran into him last night at a grocery store ...

Thread: Question for S&W Sigma owners

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

A customer came in a few weeks ago and purchased a S&W Sigma in .40sw.

I ran into him last night at a grocery store and asked him how he was liking his new Sigma. Said he really liked it but he was having some issues with a loose/crooked front sight.

He came in today to let me look at it and sure enough, it was loose. Sigmas use cheap plastic sights and the front sight is simply "melt peened" through the underside of the slide.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an aftermarket set of sights to replace these? Is S&W factory the only source for repair if there are no aftermarkets?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I have only seen one set that I would consider, I just don't have the scratch right now to justify it.

Here is the set I want
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The Sigma has a lifetime warranty and S&W will pay shipping both ways. Let S&W deal with it on their dime.

I would also tell them that the trigger is to heavy as well... They will fix that for free also. The trigger job they do will take it from about a 12 pound pull down to under 8. They just can't ship the lighter triggers from the factory due to the old Glock lawsuit agreement.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

this is a funny thread; i was going to ask a sight question today. my front sight fell off while shooting it, and i lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I have only seen one set that I would consider, I just don't have the scratch right now to justify it.

Here is the set I want
    I don't know if the photo for these sights are generic or not, but the Sigma series pistols we carry and sell do not have dovetails on the front sight.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    The Sigma has a lifetime warranty and S&W will pay shipping both ways. Let S&W deal with it on their dime.

I would also tell them that the trigger is to heavy as well... They will fix that for free also. The trigger job they do will take it from about a 12 pound pull down to under 8. They just can't ship the lighter triggers from the factory due to the old Glock lawsuit agreement.
    Thank you for the info. However, if the Glock trigger lawsuit thing is true why do Springfield XD's and Glocks come factory with 4lb to 6lb triggers without modifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Thank you for the info. However, if the Glock trigger lawsuit thing is true why do Springfield XD's and Glocks come factory with 4lb to 6lb triggers without modifications?
    Strange question. It seems to make the assumption that S&W does not know how to design a light trigger. But, I'll try to help you out... So I don't have to reactivate long burned out brain cells trying to remember all the details, here is a bit straight out of Wikipedia:

Wikipedia
    The Sigma is Smith & Wesson's venture into using synthetic materials in gun construction, using high-strength polymer material for the frame.

Created in 1994, it also incorporates the currently-fashionable self-cocking or double-action only firing mechanism, so that the pistol can be fired without delay or preparation. The basic model is chambered for the .40 S&W cartridge, but it is also available in 9 x 19mm Parabellum and a sub-compact model in .380 ACP was also manufactured. A limited amount of these guns were also chambered for the .357sig cartridge.

The Sigma series pistols are so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock.
    The original Sigmas actually had much lighter triggers. Between the trigger and other design elements that were too close to Glock's, S&W and Glock decided that some changes had to be made. It is just that simple.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

The original Sigmas actually had much lighter triggers. Between the trigger and other design elements that were too close to Glock's, S&W and Glock decided that some changes had to be made. It is just that simple.
    10-4! I understand what you meant now.

What is interesting about the 'Heavier' trigger is that in reality there is an "Extra" spring on the trigger mechanism that makes it heavier. The following link shows some good pictures of the mechanism in question. But tells of an overly complicated method of the trigger fix. The method I did was to simply remove the outer heaver spring leaving the inner spring (which if I remember right is how S&W does their trigger job) The outer spring is what gives the trigger the extra pull. I took mine to the range yesterday and it feels great to shoot and my shot group was 3" at 7 yards vs 5" with the factory trigger.

Sigma trigger work (pictures) - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

Sponsored Links