Para Warthog ammo issues

This is a discussion on Para Warthog ammo issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dad just bought a Warthog last month and we've been to the range a few times. He first bought some blazer brass to put ...

Thread: Para Warthog ammo issues

Para Warthog ammo issues

My dad just bought a Warthog last month and we've been to the range a few times. He first bought some blazer brass to put through it and had a couple shells hang up. He then bought some Fiocchi and ran into the same problem today. Any thoughts or advice?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Depends on what's happening, FTF or FTE? It could be the gun is still breaking in,not sure what kind of a break in period Para has, or he could be limp wristing it. .45 in a sub compact is going to be a handful to shoot.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I'm not a gunsmith but here's what I would do if the rounds are hanging up on the feed ramp:

Thoroughly clean and lube the pistol and the innards of the mags. I use nothing but Militec-1. Cycle the slide numerous times afterwards to let the rails smooth themselves out. A little grease on the rails might help the process.

Fun your finger along the feed ramp and barrel throat to feel for any burrs left from machining. You can use some mothers polish and smooth those two areas out by hand.

Try a different brand magazine. I'm partial to Wolffs and Wilsons in that order.

Try a couple of different brands of ball ammo and see how it shoots. If it won't feed ball it'll never feed hollowpoints. I don't trust any semi till I've put 500 trouble free rounds through it.

If that doesn't cure it I'd send it back to the factory.

Good luck,

SG
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Depends on what's happening, FTF or FTE? It could be the gun is still breaking in,not sure what kind of a break in period Para has, or he could be limp wristing it. .45 in a sub compact is going to be a handful to shoot.

1:Para break in.

2: Para Hawgs (minus the Slim Hawgs) are very short, double stack guns...there are no aftermarket mags.

Other than that Sportsterguy is dead on.

Para

First, does it do it with all magazines? Second, is it cleaned and properly lubed? Third, is it broken in for 200 rounds? Fourth, does it do it with multiple shooters of different skill levels?

Those are the 4 big ones, the holy grail of diagnosing malfunctions.

I own two Para's a Carry 9 and a Para Wart Hawg 45 . Para's like a lot lubrication when new. Make sure you lube it really well. Lube the outside of the barrel and the slide rails really good. I actually use gun grease, but lube oils will work fine too. Try the extra lubrication and see if that helps.

I have a relatively new Para Warthog in 45. I had about four or five failure to feeds in my first 100 rds, even though I lubed it really good. I took it home cleaned it and then polished the feed ramp. Since then and 350 rounds later, I have not had one problem. It's been a really great pistol so far.

I think you'll achieve the same results of a polished ramp as I did by shooting 500 or so rounds through the pistol, but I guess I speeded the process up by polishing the feed ramp and working on the rails just after the first hundred rounds.

As for polishing the feed ramp. It was fairly easy. I read up on how to polish the feed ramp on a few different gun forums. I did it by hand and did not use any tools. I happened to have a scratch removing kit for a stainless steel sinks that I had bought at Home Depot. The kit comes with really fine grades of sanding pads and a polishing cream. I put a dab of the polishing cream on the feed ramp then slowly sanded with moderate pressure using the sanding pads (fine grades). I worked the sanding pads in the same direction the round feeds on the ramp. I then placed a dab of the polishing cream on the pistols slide rails, attached the slide back on the frame (without the barrel and mainspring) and worked the slide back and forth several times. I then cleaned off all the polish cream, lubed the gun really well, then put the pistol back together. Like I said no problems with any of the ammo I have shot, both my hand loads and commercial loads. Round nose bullets and hollow points all feed perfect.

You have a bought a really nice pistol. Enjoy it!

Thanks to all of you! I will pass. the info. on to my dad.

Links