The PHANTOM Strikes! Combat Handguns!

This is a discussion on The PHANTOM Strikes! Combat Handguns! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My favorite gun magazine and the CZexy PHANTOM! A decent article on what is rapidly becoming a must have CZ pistol! I could see a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The PHANTOM Strikes! Combat Handguns!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

The PHANTOM Strikes! Combat Handguns!

My favorite gun magazine and the CZexy PHANTOM!

A decent article on what is rapidly becoming a must have CZ pistol!

I could see a PHANTOM replacing my aging CZ75s, in a few years..
    maybe even earlier.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, but plastic guns don't really do it for me.

I'm a little older than 20 and came of age when guns were made of metal and wood. In fact, my first duty gun had a cylinder. I admit, I do own a plastic pistol, one. There was a time when I thought the "drastic plastic" was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but not anymore. I've gone back to my "roots" so to speak.

For the past two years I've packed a revolver off duty and just recently went back to the Single Action Autoloader for defensive purposes. I will add another plastic pistol to the collection in the future, but not because I find them neat, pretty or artistic. All the plastic pistols out there look like bricks to me, and most of them feel that way too.

Now the 75B on the other hand, that's a nice pistol. If I couldn't have a High Power or a 1911 that would probably be my first choice.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Just about every major gun manufacturer has their own polymer design , everyone wants a piece of the plastic gun market it seems. There is nothing wrong with all metal, but for some of us lugging around an all steel or steel/alloy full size gun can become a hassle. Some of the die hard CZ fans will be happy to know there is a lightweight option for them. It is good to have options isn't it!?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I would wait for some gun reveiws from different magazines. I have never read a bad reveiw in Combat Handguns including Hi Points.

kpw
    Looks like a nice pistol. Being a CZ, it should be a good one. Anyone know what it weighs?

I too was old school and turned up my nose at any firearm that wasn't steel with wood furniture. The AR-15 and Glock pistols changed my mind once I became familiar with these now classic designs. The older I get, the more I appreciate the weight savings polymer guns offer.

I think a lot of folks will admire the CZ Phantom in time. Heck, I may even end up with one in my collection.
    God bless our troops!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Like Biker I'm an old school steel kinda guy. Have shot plenty of Glocks and plastic Smiths and don't like the grips (Glock) or triggers, especially the Smith's trigger. Pack my old SA .45 or my S&W 19, both of which have great triggers on them and shoot rather well. I actually prefer the extra weight as I can get my sights back on target much quicker and have no comfort problems packing either one all day.

Owned a CZ-75B and it ran great plus was accurate, but liked my BHP much more so sold it off. Now wish I would of kept it as another if the SHTF pistol.

No offence but just can't go to the plastic side. That SP-01 is a great looking pistol though and am sure it will run great like the rest of the CZ's out there.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    I would wait for some gun reveiws from different magazines. I have never read a bad reveiw in Combat Handguns including Hi Points.
    There is a kind of secert code for "this gun sucks!" You have to read the article a couple times to pick up on it. Combat Handguns are my reading material for the "Throne room"

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I personally don't understand the negative feelings that some people have for polymer guns. A firearm can be a piece of junk whether it is all metal or has a substantial amount of polymer. The alternative also holds true. I would be interested in hearing arguments pro and con on this subject unless of course it is just " personal taste"?

VIP Member
    Not a point of polymer, but the gun seems kind of big for CC:
    Inches Phantom M&P40C M&P45C
    Length 8.16 6.7 7.125
    Height 5.79 4.3 4.5
    Width 1.46 1.2 1.2
    I know some people can carry big guns and others can't. I also know that I don't know as much as many of you. I hope that you get what you like. I love my polymer (stainless barrel and slide) M&P's.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I would be interested in hearing arguments pro and con on this subject unless of course it is just " personal taste"?
    Personal taste is exactly what it is.

We all have our preferences, as I have made mine quite clear. Let me be the first to say that in a Katrina situation, or something similar, I would grab my Glock instead of the High Power, 1911 or one of my Revolvers.

Why, you ask? Because I don't care about the plastic gun. While I have no doubt as to the reliability of my steel guns, I would hate to damage them in such a situation, when I don't have to. To me a gun is a tool, but like custom saddles, motorcycles and clothing, they can be an expression of the owner.

I don't much care if my Glock gets placed in an Evidence Locker, and never returned. While I can replace my High Powers or 1911, it would "hurt" a little bit to have to do so, but I would replace it.

To me a Glock is cheap enough to be a "disposable" gun. I am not of the use it and throw it away generation, so I guess that's another factor as to why I'm not a fan of plastic guns.

Biker

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Looks like a nice pistol. Being a CZ, it should be a good one. Anyone know what it weighs?
    It weighs 1.8 pounds and the metal one weighs 2.6 pounds.

I don't like buying any newly designed product the first year, I like to see the reviews first. If it is anything like the the P-01 that I shoot then it's going to be a winner.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    To me a gun is a tool, but like custom saddles, motorcycles and clothing, they can be an expression of the owner.
    So what are ya sayin? I carry a Glock cause I'm cheap?

Ah, maybe so. I've got a great appreciation for classics like the 1911 and BHP, especially when customized by the likes of Chuck Rogers or Don Williams and Wayne Novak. Problem is, I can't swing them with my budget. Not until some kids grow up and move out. So, for now, my carry battery consists of working tools only. As a working tool, I'm highly impressed with many of the current offerings on the market today. Every once in a while, I dabble with a pretty gun but then the practical side wins out and I end up going back to my plain old tool that works so well. Not that the pretty ones aren't practical, it's just that they are not better tools.

Long way of saying I'm cheap but for a reason!

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    It weighs 1.8 pounds and the metal one weighs 2.6 pounds.
    Good to know, thanks. At least it's not 30+ ounces like some poly pistols. Can't understand the reasoning on those.

It must be nice to consider Glocks as disposal at $500 + a pop there not disposal to me, but as you said personal preference. I have a 1911 and I love it but it is way to heavy and uncomfortable to carry. I also don't like carrying cocked and locked. Again personal preference. Next time you want to dispose of one of those polymer guns let me know I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links