S&W Sigma series .40 question..

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma series .40 question.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine recently bought a .40 Sigma and had been telling me that the trigger was smooth, but HEAVY pull.. I told him ...

A friend of mine recently bought a .40 Sigma and had been telling me that the trigger was smooth, but HEAVY pull.. I told him break the gun in, at least 500rds and see then..

Well yesterday I handled the gun, he has said he has put 600rds through it.. I believe its DAO, but MAN, that feels like a 12lb trigger or something crazy.. I mean, its heavy, and long.. smooth though, if that makes any sense..

My question is has anyone handled one, is that how the trigger is set, or does he need to contact S&W? Does anyone know the trigger pull spec, I couldnt find it on S&W website.. I know these guns are on the cheaper side of SA's, but either way IMO that trigger is
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    S&W will take care of the trigger pull problem under warranty. They will also cover shipping charges.

Here is one answer posted today to my thread:

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoHD
    What is interesting about the 'Heavier' trigger is that in reality there is an "Extra" spring on the trigger mechanism that makes it heavier. The following link shows some good pictures of the mechanism in question. But tells of an overly complicated method of the trigger fix. The method I did was to simply remove the outer heaver spring leaving the inner spring (which if I remember right is how S&W does their trigger job) The outer spring is what gives the trigger the extra pull. I took mine to the range yesterday and it feels great to shoot and my shot group was 3" at 7 yards vs 5" with the factory trigger.

Sigma trigger work (pictures) - Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I am trying that on mine now. The Sigma is the only gun I really don't like to shoot which is a shame because I love the overall feel of that gun
    www.snipercentral.com
    "My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban as soon as I take office. In the first year, I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, one gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."
    -Barack Obama, VPC Fund Raiser, 2007

Yeah the gun felt good, I haven't shot it... But he said its not fun/easy to shoot with the trigger..
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

The extra weight of the Sigma trigger was added after the Glock lawsuit as part of the settlement with Glock. The really cool part is that you can have S&W reduce the trigger pull weight under their lifetime warranty, even though the weight was added on purpose.

I could explain how you can reduce the trigger weight by some simple gunsmithing, but the better course would be to call S&W. Call S&W customer service and tell them of your complaint. They will give you a prepaid shipping label and fix it for free.

For a vague reference to the "redesign" that S&W was forced to do follow this Wiki link. SIGMA
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I shot the Sigma 9MM. The trigger pull was heavier than the my XD but it really didn't bother me too much. I did have to get used to it after about 30 rounds or so I was good to go
    "When the people fear their Government there is Tyranny; When the Government fears its people there is Liberty"

Ive shot the SW9VE (Sigma Allied Forces Edition) nice gun, great ergos, everything great, EXCEPT for that damn 10 pound DAO trigger.

Plenty of mods online for reducing the pull to 6 pounds (bascially removing a spring or if your not comfortable removing spring, replacing one with a lower pressure spring).
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

My 40VE has over 5k rounds through it and the trigger lightened up nicely. If it is going to be a carry gun, don't mess with the trigger. S&W designed it this way for a reason.

Dry fire, shoot it and the practice with trigger control will make you a much better shot.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links