Colt cobra and +P ammo use?

This is a discussion on Colt cobra and +P ammo use? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a colt cobra made in 1972 or 1973 with the shrouded barrel and read it was rated for the use of up to ...

Thread: Colt cobra and +P ammo use?

Colt cobra and +P ammo use?

I have a colt cobra made in 1972 or 1973 with the shrouded barrel and read it was rated for the use of up to 1,500 rounds of +P ammo,and that the detective special of the same era was rated likewise for up to 3,000 rounds of +P ammo,is this true? My cobra locks up tight and passes all function checks,it also doesn't show any cracks anywhere and shoots fine.

Does this info mean its safe to use a small amount of +P ammo
    and carry it with +P without fear of damaging the gun or my hand? thanks

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    I've heard that before, but I think I would verify it with Colt first.
    1-800-962-2658
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I've heard that before, but I think I would verify it with Colt first.
    1-800-962-2658
    OD is the expert when it comes to Colts, so I would follow his advice....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

OD*
    I wish that were true Sir, but thank you very much for the kind words.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I carry the Federal Nyclads 125 HP standard velocity or the new Hornaday 110 Defense loads. I would carry non +p, there really is no need to beat your gun up or have less control for almost no real gain. I carry an Agent and a Cobra and never felt undergunned with standard velocity rounds.

I own a 1974 Colt Cobra. I don't shoot it all that much, but I used standard pressure ammo at the range. I ran a few chambers worth of +p ammo. When I carry the gun, it has Corbon DPX +p's. If I have to use it in a self defense situation, I want one of the best performing loads from a 2" snub.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

If it really worries you, there are good non +P loads available. Hornady FTX:
    Hornady FTX
    Federal Nyclad:
    Federal Premium - Handgun Details
    Federal Hydra Shok:
    Federal Premium - Handgun Details
    Winchester Silvertip:
    Centerfire Handgun
    Remington SJHP (R38S16):
    Remington Express® Handgun Ammunition

And some I haven't personally used, but that are highly recommended by those that have.
    Buffalo Bore:
    Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Hvy .38 Spl (Non + P) Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

I have never heard of anyone putting a specific number on the amount of +P to shoot through a gun. I have seen a S&W 37 that broke shooting +P. It was a gun that the owner shot standard ammo in, with occasional practice with +P Hydra Shok. The flag safety broke after the first shot of +P out of the cylinder and tied up the gun.

Administrator
    Certainly if you want to carry it with +P then I personally would have no problem with doing that.
    Unless I was planning on getting into a different firefight every day of the year.

One thing that we can be absolutely CERTAIN of is that simply stoking any revolver with +P is totally harmless.

And then if by RARE chance you ever do need that wheelgun to defend your life...the very last thing that will ever be on your mind (in those few deciding seconds) is wondering if your revolver may possibly have gone slightly "out of time."

If you lose that defensive scenario you won't be able to think about your revolver at all....and if you (yea!) win that defensive scenario - your revolver is going to get confiscated as evidence and you're probably not going to get it back in such great condition anyway.

Just a thought. So I would practice with a standard power ammo & carry +P because the potential benefits will always outweigh any disadvantages due to that very slight increase of pressure of the +P ammunition.
    Which is what only about a 5% or 7% increase in pressure for +P or +P+?

I'm really not "up" on my .38 pressures because my own .38 wheelies are rated for +P+ so it's not something that I really need to investigate for myself.

QKshooter this is my thinking exactly I was to have THE BEST performing ammo available and in the .38 special its the 158gr +P LSWC HP or the old "metro load" as its been called. This round has an excellant track record on the street as a fight stopper in the .38special caliber.

I've heard some say to use caution in using such ammo in cheaper guns,but I've got a colt and a S&W both are quality well made guns. Now I can were putting 1,000's of round through one present a problem,but not a few cylinders a year. The thing with me is I use to have an old charter arms 5 shot snubby I bought when I didn't have much money and loaded it with the baove mentioned load for carry.

I put about 2-3 cylinder though it after practicing with standard pressure .38's and never worried about the gun blowing up. Now if i has a gun like an old RG then I'd be afraid to shoot it with any ammo really let alone +P anything.

As a side note I remember reading an article by massad ayoob that the old "metro load" .38special round out of a S&W J-frame 2" has the same balistic effect on pig carcuses as 230gr 45acp ammo out of a 5" government model. Anyone here recall this article or where I can find it?

Links