Why does .40 to 9mm Conversion only go one way

This is a discussion on Why does .40 to 9mm Conversion only go one way within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering a Glock for my next acquisition and I love the size of the Glock 19/23. On the internet I have found many ...

Thread: Why does .40 to 9mm Conversion only go one way

Why does .40 to 9mm Conversion only go one way

I am considering a Glock for my next acquisition and I love the size of the Glock 19/23. On the internet I have found many drop in 9mm barrels that can be added to the Glock 23 to convert it to fire 9mm. Why does it appear that you cannot go the other way? I have yet to find a .40 barrel that will drop into the Glock 19.

If I had to guess, I would say that it has something to do with the force of the recoil spring. Perhaps the 9mm factory spring is not strong enough? If you were to replace the spring, then would a conversion be possible?

OR is it simply the size of the hole at the end of the slide is too small to fit the larger barrel? As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post

OR is it simply the size of the hole at the end of the slide is too small to fit the larger barrel? As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.

Precisely.

Thanks. That is what I thought, but just wanted to check with the experts. Has anyone had good results converting a Glock 23 to 9mm with a drop in barrel? It seems like a great way to have two different calibers available, but what are the drawbacks?

I have a 9mm Wolf conversion barrel for my G27. It works fine with the G26 mags.

If you look at the Wolff Springs website the recoil springs are the same stock for the 26, 27, and 33.

Mine has been nothing but stellar. You can also drop in a 33 barrel if you so chose into the 27. Seems like a no brainer to me to get the 27 as a base platform.....but I ain't so smart.

Just an FYI....Storm Lake Barrels on Topglock.com just went up 20%, and are now $120. The conversion barrels from Lone Wolf are still $100....for now.

VIP Member
    They aren't interchangeable because the breech face (I believe) on a 9mm is too small for the .40 casing to fit. It does not have to do with the barrell.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Don't know anything about Glocks, but also consider that any 40 S&W pistol would be able to withstand the recoil and pressure of a 9mm, but not every 9mm would be constructed so as to be able to withstand the pressure & recoil of the 40.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links