Narrowed my gun choices to two.

This is a discussion on Narrowed my gun choices to two. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please give me your advice on which one to chose out of these two. 1.Smith & Wesson Gun # Model:649 Bodyguard or 2. Ruger sp101...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narrowed my gun choices to two.

Narrowed my gun choices to two.

Please give me your advice on which one to chose out of these two.

1.Smith & Wesson Gun # Model:649 Bodyguard or
    2. Ruger sp101

2. Remove Ads

My vote is for the S&W - better all around quality.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I have a S&W J-Frame and an SP101 and of the two, I'd sell the S&W before I part with the Ruger.

If the S&W you are considering has the "Hillary Hole" it's not even an option for me. The Ruger wins hand's down. The SP101 is the smallest and lightest gun I will personally shoot .357 magnum loads out of. What's the use of having a Magnum if you can't shoot Magnum loads out of it. I sold my J-Frame .357 Magnum becaus eit hurt to shoot it. That's the only gun I've had that I've sold for that reason.

If you are wanting a 38 Special, then I have no problem recommending a Pre-Lock J-Frame, but if you want a .357 Magnum I would give the nod to the Ruger. The weight of the gun helps with the recoil. If you are not sure, go shoot 50 rounds out of each one, with your carry load. That will tell you. I suggest you shoot each gun on seperate days in order to be "fair" to both guns.

As far as quality, I've used bit S&W and Ruger's Warranty Department, and they are both top notch, IMO.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Ruger SP101 is built to last, you would probably be able to hand it down to your kids and they can hand it down to their kids and so on. I had one but sold it to a buddy of mine. However I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If I were you I'd go with the SP101.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The rugers are built like tanks...but the Smiths quality are all around better Just IMO. Don't think you'll be unhappy with either. Like Biker said though I really don't like the "Hillary Hole"
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

S&W
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Ruger hands down.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My vote is for the Ruger - better all-around quality.

S&W has had some really great times for quality, and the present is not that time. I have a Performance Center custom J-frame, based on a 642, that I acquired in the 1990's. I have an original M40, no dash. I have owned other J-snubs since 1983, that I no longer have, for various reasons.

A couple of years ago, I bought an SP101 .357 snubby and a 4"-barreled SP101 in .32 H&R Magnum. Both were quite nice, with heavy but smooth triggers. A few weeks ago, I handled a 3-1/16"-barreled .357 SP101 with a trigger action that was absolutely wonderful. Well, money being tight, I thought about it a while, while it sat there a couple of weeks. When I finally decided to act, it was gone. Which is good, because the dealer soon set another one out, which was even better. I bought it last week. Life is good! I have other SP101s I bought further in the past, but they went through Jack Weigand's shop for custom packages, then went to a dealer to be sold as new firearms, so I don't know how smooth they started.

I do know that if you have not worked the action on an SP101 in the last three years or so, you might want to try again. IMHO, things have gotten better at the Ruger factory that turns out their revolvers.

The best S&W 649 Bodyguards I have handled, were mid-to-late 1990's, just before MIM parts replaced forged parts. I am not one of those worry warts who obsesses over how bad MIM parts are, structurally. Maybe MIM parts are good, or maybe they are not. I just prefer the smoothness of forged moving parts. The keyhole in the side of the frame is disgusting, but I can live with a keyhole OK, if the rest of the weapon is good.

Administrator
    At one time, the S&W would have beat out the Ruger, no question. But anymore, I'm not so sure. If I were buying a 357 snub, it wouldnt have the hole.
    The SP101 is a suburb gun at a bargain of a price. Add a spring kit and a little Flitz here and there and its every bit as good as a new generation Smith... for less money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ruger SP101. I have a 2.25" spurless sp101 that I use for pocket carry (yes pocket carry ), great revolver!

:hi-jack: What is a Hillary Hole? Do I even want to know? :hi-jack:

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    The "Hillary Hole" is the ugly monstrosity on the side of all new S&W Revolvers, by the Thumb Latch" that was put in place during the Clinton Administration. "It's for the children, don't you know."

Yes, I'm talking about the I.L.S.. In my opinion, it has no place on a defensive revolver, but some of us are stuck with them until we find better. Better being defind as a Ruger or a Used S&W with no "Hillary Hole".

Biker

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Certainly no one likes the lock but realistically very few peolpe have had issues with it. I did remove the lock from my gun and it only takes 45 min. to do. Very easy if you have even basic mechanical skills. The Ruger is every bit as good as the Smith quality wise and the frame, barrel and forcing cone is stronger. Rugers are not as smooth out of the box but are certainly quality guns and you wil not go wrong selecting either of these two fine handguns.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I vote SP101. But I think it depends a lot on how you want to carry it. For me, the Ruger is a little too heavy for pocket carry, other than a coat etc. I prefer to carry the SP with a K&D 2 clip IWB and it rides very well.

I did consider the Smith model 640, cost more but it's close weight wise to the SP.

While few people have had "issues" with the ILS, I am one that has.

Of course S&W was prompt about repairing the gun, and paid shipping both ways, but it never should've happened. For me it was a 22-4 that went south on me. That's a .45 ACP N-Frame, which is a pretty big gun.

That one time soured me on S&W's "lock" for good. I'm waiting for Ruger to start cranking out the LCR, and then my 442 with a lock is going adios.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links