Got a new (to me at least) Sig

This is a discussion on Got a new (to me at least) Sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got me a new gun. Its a Sig 229 that I got used. I am ususaly wary of getting a used gun, but ...

Thread: Got a new (to me at least) Sig

Got a new (to me at least) Sig

Well I got me a new gun. Its a Sig 229 that I got used. I am ususaly wary of getting a used gun, but my step father bought a used gun from this gun seller, and never had a problem (a company not a person). I paid $580 for it and it came with both barrels (the 40 cal and the 357 Sig).

So I finally got to shoot it yesterday and I fell in love with the first shot. I did have a couple of problems with feeding the first round from a new mag wit the 40 cal barrel, but every other round in the mag would feed just fine. I'm not excactly sure what the cause would be other than I'm not letting the slide go back clean enough (hope that makes sense to you all).

As for the actual shooting, man what a gun. It will take me a little to get use to since it is a step up from my S&W 9 mm. My groups were not as good as I would have liked (they never are), but practive will only help. I shot 170 rounds through the 40 cal and 100 rounds through the 357 Sig. And to me the 357SIG was not as accurate as the 40 cal.

Question time: I am getting a Crimson Trace laser grip for it and it come from the factory set for 50 ft. What is a good range to reset the laser to? I was thinking some where in the neighborhood of 21 ft (7 yds).

Thanks for the info...

2. Remove Ads

Congrats where are the pics?

Chris and a few other will be along to tell ya on the Crimson trace i've never used a pair

Administrator

Thumbs up Congratulations!

Oh & Welcome to the forum!
    Great Firearm.
    Many people have many reasons for selling or trading in a firearm that have nothing to do with the way the firearm functions.

Some of the best handguns I've ever owned were purchased used and many others that I bought new...I sold & they were in perfect condition.

congrats on the new gun. as for the laser grips, i have some on my 1911 and my 649. my wife has them on her 649. try them out before making adjustments. the only adjustment we had to make was a minor one on hers, it was slightly low. as for distance we didn't really worry about it. the holes were within 1/8 inch of the dot at 21 feet. as one guy put it on the crimson trace forum, that was minute of bad guy,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by crookcatchr
    Question time: I am getting a Crimson Trace laser grip for it and it come from the factory set for 50 ft. What is a good range to reset the laser to? I was thinking some where in the neighborhood of 21 ft (7 yds)
    I wouldn't reset it al all, except to fine tune the point of impact. Laser is a flat line of sight device. It's also an aid and not a substitute for the sights.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    once you get used to the snappy recoil, you'll find the .357 Sig is more accurate further out than .40....
    +1 on the CT laser grips....
    they are for assistance in getting on target....
    not point of impact, I have a pair on my 220ST.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I LUST after one of the Sig P229 in the SAS finish with the "melt" job, but I just can't wrap myself around the cost for a mere what? 12 rds capacity? My Glock M27 will take the 9, 10, 13 & 15 rd mags plus my ultra hi cap 29rd stick mags for my new Kel-Tec Sub 2000 carbine. I may however pick up an H&K USPc in 45.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome catchr -

Indeed, I set my CT's to around 21' - but from that setting even allowing for parallax - you are well set for closer and out some ways.

I usually set mine before range test - using irons and setting spot to coincide with top of foresight - find then that at range I am all but 100% good.

They are set first I believe but a dry fire type check will confirm this and save time at range. I have them on all my SIGs - here on the 228 -

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the SIG club. You get a winner there, now you have to decide between the 357 and 40 for your primary.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Well right now that decision is made. I am carrying the 40 cal as it is cheeper to shoot and stock up on. As I have seen a 2 to 3 dollar difference between paractice rounds for the two calibers.

I ordered my grips last Sunday (a week ago), so hopefully I will get them this week, so I can go to the range this weekend.

Thanks for the information....

Links