Help! XS Big Dot Sights: Need Adjustment Help

This is a discussion on Help! XS Big Dot Sights: Need Adjustment Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took my recently converted to DAK SIG P239 to the range and love it! I had XS Big Dot sights installed as well. ...

Thread: Help! XS Big Dot Sights: Need Adjustment Help

I just took my recently converted to DAK SIG P239 to the range and love it! I had XS Big Dot sights installed as well. The grouping is OK, but it seems like I'm shooting a little low and to the right, consistently.

The rear sight can be adjusted with a tiny hex wrench, but I looked at the manual for the sights and cannot make head or tail of it. It basically talks about every XS sight system BUT the Big Dots. Am I missing somehting here?

Help? Anyone with XS Big Dots, do you have any insight for me?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Big dots are not so much sights as they are an aid to point shooting. I am thinking that it is probably you who is off. If you want to jack with the sights, move the rear sight to the direction that you want the bullet to go. You can't do anything for shooting high or low. That wrench does not adjust the sights, it merely loosens the set screw and allows you to move the sight in the dovetail.

JD
    Administrator
    There is no 100% sight alignment for elevation regarding the XS sights, what they give you in the book for sight alignment relating to placing the dot in the valley is not right for every one, every gun, or every range, try experimenting with different sight alignment by raising the front sight and see what sight picture works best for you.

Once I got the alignment right, this is what I did with my Sig 220.

Thanks all for the info. I will try drifting the rear sight over just a tiny bit and adjusting the "Dot The I" sight picture. I was using the sight picture that worked with my Kahr with Big Dots, but maybe I have to place that Dot a tiny bit higher over the "I" with this gun.

Then again, this was my first time with the DAK trigger, which is a very smooth DAO and similar to the Kahr's DAO, just with a hammer, not a striker.

It sounds like more practice is needed. Back to the range tomorrow!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

What he said ⇑

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Big dots are not so much sights as they are an aid to point shooting. I am thinking that it is probably you who is off. If you want to jack with the sights, move the rear sight to the direction that you want the bullet to go. You can't do anything for shooting high or low. That wrench does not adjust the sights, it merely loosens the set screw and allows you to move the sight in the dovetail.
    They are not meant to be adjusted.

Administrator
    you're not left handed are you?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    They are not meant to be adjusted.
    Any fixed sight can be adjusted/centered.

Update!

I went back to the range today and put anther 100 rounds through the P239 DAK. It looks like it was me and not the sights...

I also saw the "Proper Grip" video someone posted about the thumbs-forward grip and decided to try that too.

After I put the front "Dot" at the very bare tip of the rear notch "I", and used the thumbs-forward grip, I was blowing the center out of that target just like JD had posted!

I'm going to make myself learn that thumbs-forward grip from now on! It really made a huge difference. Call me another convert!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....ANOTHER satisfied Big Dot customer...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I went back to the range today and put anther 100 rounds through the P239 DAK. It looks like it was me and not the sights...

I also saw the "Proper Grip" video someone posted about the thumbs-forward grip and decided to try that too.

After I put the front "Dot" at the very bare tip of the rear notch "I", and used the thumbs-forward grip, I was blowing the center out of that target just like JD had posted!

I'm going to make myself learn that thumbs-forward grip from now on! It really made a huge difference. Call me another convert!

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Any fixed sight can be adjusted/centered.
    Better to fix your shooting technique, than goof with the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    Better to fix your shooting technique, than goof with the sights.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense if the sight isn't centered to start with.

I guess I assumed it was centered to begin with, and he was trying to move the sight to adjust to his shooting.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links