9 mm revolvers??? - Page 3

9 mm revolvers???

This is a discussion on 9 mm revolvers??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have wanted a 9mm revolver ever since W145 first posted the picture seen in this thread. I really like the ability to use 9X19 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have wanted a 9mm revolver ever since W145 first posted the picture seen in this thread. I really like the ability to use 9X19 thru the 38 super. it just makes a lot of sense to have a more universal revolver.

From what I hear, 9mm in a snubnose has recoil that is comparable to a .38. So my question to you is, ammo standardization aside, why wouldn't you just get a S&W airweight .38 or .357?
    It just seems like you could carry a much heavier weapon for your BUG than 9mm.
    If this question is for me, ammo standardization aside, I would be comfortable carrying an Airweight .38spl it is a fine choice for a BUG and carried by thousands of cops (including me) and others for that purpose. But, as stated, my choice was ammo driven. If I carried a .357mag service revolver on duty I would have a .38spl for a BUG, but I don't, I carry a 9mm. So, while I can carry anything I want for a BUG, it makes sense to carry the same caliber in both my guns. In addition to the compatibility benefit, I have to say that I am also enjoying the bonuses of lower cost practice ammo and the speed and convenience of the moon clips that I get with a 9mm. Until you've used them, you really can't appreciate how much faster it is to load and unload short rounds with moonclips.

Also, while there are lots of hotter ammo choices out there for all calibers these days, like Buffalo Bore, ammo choice is driven by more than just velocity. Being an LEO working for a very small municipality cost is a major factor, and, because we have neither the money or the facilities to be testing ammunition, our selection is based on test and actual shooting data from big city and state departments. God forbid there should be an OIS in my town we would have to be able to justify everything we did, including our choice of ammuniton. There is tons of data available on the Federal 9BPLE 115gr +P+ HP load that I carry showing it to be a proven performer used for years by dozens of agencies with excellent results on the street, on the range, and in the lab. Plus, it's only 50fps slower than the Buffalo Bore 115gr +P+ load.

I don't get it, myself. I see .38's and 9mm's as essentially equivalent. So I've got 9mm pistols and .38 revolvers. Only real problem is the requirement that I stock two kinds of ammo.
    See? Imagine how much more ammo more you could keep on hand if you were spending the same amount of money but just buying the cheaper of the two.

S&W actually made a J-frame for French police trials that did not require moonclips and the hand ejector did work.
    That was a k-frame, the 547.

I'd love a 12oz Scandium in 9mm. Sounds like a perfect pair with DoubleTab 124gr +P as well.

Where did you have the conversion done?

Thanks,

-john
    My gun was done by Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance Pinnacle-Guns.com: Pinnacle High Performance Custom Gunsmithing. He does excellent work at very reasonable prices and a decent turn around time. I understand that TK Customs Welcome to TK Custom.com & Moonclips.com is also doing these conversions now but I don't know if they offer any other gunsmithing services. In addition to the caliber conversion Mark also did an action job, bobbed the hammer, rounded and polished the trigger, and installed the fiber optic front sight.

I have wanted a 9mm revolver ever since WC145 first posted the picture seen in this thread. I really like the ability to use 9X19 thru the 38 super. it just makes a lot of sense to have a more universal revolver.
    Funny you should mention .38 Super. Just a few weeks ago I bought a NIB AMT Backup .38 Super, which has turned out to be a surprisingly handy and reliable pistol, none of the bad stuff that other people have experienced. Anyway, one of the reasons I bought it was ammo compatibility with my revolver. I was able to buy 5 50rd boxes of 125gr Silvertips for $25ea at a local gun shop where they'd been gathering dust on a back shelf for a while (current prices are $40+ a box) and I got a bunch of Aguila 130gr FMJ for just $13.95 a box of 50 online (I need to order more while I can!). That versatility is one more reason I like my gun so much. In fact, I'm selling my Bulldog .44spl to cover the cost of the AMT because I can afford to shoot the AMT (.38 Super is ALWAYS cheaper than .44spl) and I can use the ammo in more than one gun.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I don't get it, myself. I see .38's and 9mm's as essentially equivalent. So I've got 9mm pistols and .38 revolvers. Only real problem is the requirement that I stock two kinds of ammo.
    +1.

Of course, if the rounds are similar in performance, then using the 9mm in both your revolver and pistol should eliminate the need for keeping two different calibers, shouldn't it! I also like the ability (as someone else has pointed out) to use 9X19 thru the 38 super and it makes a lot of sense to have a revolver that uses the same round as my carry pistols.

It's odd, but I was involved in a very similar discussion a few days ago with someone over using a .45 ACP vs. the .45 Colt round. My brother has been an avid black powder shooter for over 20 years and more recently a fan of cowboy action shooting. He is NOT a fan of semi-auto pistols however. Anyway, his home defense gun is Colt Peacemaker (replica, not original) in 45 LC. A few nights ago a discussion came up with a family friend who is a big fan of 1911's as to the "stopping power" of the .45 ACP rd vs. the .45 LC. I pointed out that essentially, the ballistics of the two rounds are the same aside from special purpose rounds like cowboy loads in the LC or SD loads (like the TAP) in .45 ACP. The fact is, John Browning intentionally designed the .45 ACP round to copy the ballistics of the LC. However, he used modern smokeless powder instead of BP. By doing so, essentially all he did was shrink the case of the .45 LC and make it rimless for better feeding in auto's.

To me, that's pretty much all that happened with the .38/9mm... it's a .38 BP round that was shortened after smokeless powder became common and made rimless to work better in pistols.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Okay, I admit it. I like the cool factor. 9mm J-Frame = cool.

THAT GUY said he could shoot 9x19! 9x21! 9x23! and .38 Super.

I vote your Bug the most awesome BUG to come from the BUG factory since the BUG factory was built.

I solved the problem by having a 13oz scandium frame S&W 360J .38spl rechambered to 9x23. I only carry 9mm (9x19) but I can also shoot 9x21, 9x23, and .38 Super if I want.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links