9 mm revolvers???

9 mm revolvers???

This is a discussion on 9 mm revolvers??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search but didn't really find what I was looking for. I was thinking about this the other day when I threw my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 mm revolvers???

9 mm revolvers???

I did a search but didn't really find what I was looking for.

I was thinking about this the other day when I threw my trusty 38 j frame in my pocket for the day. Why aren't there many 9mm revolvers around? I know some were made for awhile and from what I understand there are no productin wheel guns in 9mm now, correct me if I am wrong. Why didn't it seem to catch on, is there a negative side to a 9mm revolver? Just wondering since there are quite a few different calibers available.

Thanks
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

I had a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible I wish I never parted with. At the time 9mm ammo was crap but with the popularity of the 9's now it's a wide open field. It gave me the option of shooting .357/.38 and 9mm and I am looking for another one. I am quite sure Ruger is making them again and may buy new if so. It's like having three guns in one. It won't be a pocket gun or D/A if thats what you are looking for though.

Just looked it up they are making them again, heres the link. Good Luck

Ruger New Model Blackhawk® Convertible *Single Action*Revolvers
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Very cool, thanks Rottkeeper. A pocket gun would be ideal for ccw but I would really like a single action revolver like that as well for a fun gun.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Taurus is as far as I know the only one still producing 9mm revolvers Model number is 905. 5 shot, but hey its a revolver similar in size to a J frame.

How about one of these THESE 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp. do to ship this spring. Oh yea, no moon clips needed. Will it work... time will tell.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Well, to answer your question as to why 9mm isn't usually used in revolvers, it is a rimless round originally designed for semi-autos. The most common revolver rounds ( .38, .357, .41, .44, .45LC, ect ...) are all rimmed at the end of the casing which holds the rounds in place in the cylinder.

With a 9mm (or .45ACP) revolver, the use of half or full moon clips is required to hold the rounds in place, since they wouldn't stay in the cylinder (except of course for that new Charter which I have never seen until right now).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ruger used to make a 9mm version of their SP101. I wish they still did! On very rare occasions you can find one on an internet site like Guns America or Gunbroker but you'll pay dearly for it.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Rhinokrk.

I love 9mm snubbies. The 9mm it the perfect round for a short barreled revolver - much improved ballistics over the .38spl, approaching .357mag velocities without the violent recoil and muzzle blast of the .357, plus fast and convenient to reload with moonclips.

IMO, the biggest problem with the 9mm snubbies that have been made up until now has been weight both the Taurus 905 and the old S&W 940 are 22-23ozs. I solved the problem by having a 13oz scandium frame S&W 360J .38spl rechambered to 9x23. I only carry 9mm (9x19) but I can also shoot 9x21, 9x23, and .38 Super if I want. With the other work I had done to the gun it is (again, IMO) the ideal BUG/EDC gun - light weight, powerful, accurate, controllable, and 100% reliable with none of the drawbacks that make me shy away from autos for BUG use.

I think that if Charter Arms can get their new gun to market and improve the quality and appearance enough to shake their poor reputation they'll have a hard time keeping up with the demand. What cop isn't going to want a 12-15oz revolver in the same caliber as their duty weapon for a BUG? That's why I had mine built. The fact that the CA doesn't use moonclips is a bonus since a lot of people don't like them, even though they make for very fast reloads.

Just a point of fact. You do not "have to use" moonclips in a revolver for 9mm or .45ACP however, you will have to pick out the spent brass since the hand ejector will not eject them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Just a point of fact. You do not "have to use" moonclips in a revolver for 9mm or .45ACP however, you will have to pick out the spent brass since the hand ejector will not eject them for you.
    You do in my gun since it's rechambered to 9x23.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Well, to answer your question as to why 9mm isn't usually used in revolvers, it is a rimless round originally designed for semi-autos. The most common revolver rounds ( .38, .357, .41, .44, .45LC, ect ...) are all rimmed at the end of the casing which holds the rounds in place in the cylinder.

With a 9mm (or .45ACP) revolver, the use of half or full moon clips is required to hold the rounds in place, since they wouldn't stay in the cylinder (except of course for that new Charter which I have never seen until right now).
    Thank you for the explanation Buckeye, now I see. So it has some possibilities if companies want to manufacture it.

I love 9mm snubbies. The 9mm it the perfect round for a short barreled revolver - much improved ballistics over the .38spl, approaching .357mag velocities without the violent recoil and muzzle blast of the .357, plus fast and convenient to reload with moonclips.

IMO, the biggest problem with the 9mm snubbies that have been made up until now has been weight both the Taurus 905 and the old S&W 940 are 22-23ozs. I solved the problem by having a 13oz scandium frame S&W 360J .38spl rechambered to 9x23. I only carry 9mm (9x19) but I can also shoot 9x21, 9x23, and .38 Super if I want. With the other work I had done to the gun it is (again, IMO) the ideal BUG/EDC gun - light weight, powerful, accurate, controllable, and 100% reliable with none of the drawbacks that make me shy away from autos for BUG use.
    Thanks for sharing WC145, very cool to see what you did and that it is an option, I had not thought about that.

So would you guys like to carry a 9mm snubby over 38? I would, that would consolidate down to two calibers for me. Lots of good replies here so far, thanks. I think I like the idea even more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Thanks for sharing WC145, very cool to see what you did and that it is an option, I had not thought about that.

So would you guys like to carry a 9mm snubby over 38? I would, that would consolidate down to two calibers for me. Lots of good replies here so far, thanks. I think I like the idea even more now.
    Thanks!
    Obviously my preference is the 9mm over the .38 and caliber consolidation was a determining factor in my choice. I used to carry and stock numerous calibers which made it quite expensive for me and the municipality I work for - I buy my ammo and gear and they reimburse me. My duty gun was a .357Sig, BUG was a .380, off duty a 9mm or .38 or .44spl, patrol rifle 5.56, shotgun 12ga. Lots of cost involved and I was unable to stock a whole lot of any one caliber because I needed them all. So, I switched all of my carry guns to 9mm, all with similar operating systems, DAO (yes, the snubby has a hammer but I shoot it DAO), no safeties, all with very similar trigger pulls so whatever gun I have works and feels basically the same as the others. Now I can keep a large stock of 9mm and .223/5.56 for the same amount of money I was spending to keep a little bit of all the others. I carry the same, proven 9mm +P+ load in all of them, they are all accurate, easy to shoot, and reliable. I have 100% confidence in all of them and have not had an instance when I've felt undergunned or like I needed "more" since I made the change.

Administrator
    The real advantage of 9mm in a semi-auto is (magic words) Higher Capacity.
    Higher capacity is what you Don't have with a revolver so the only advantage to having a revolver chambered in 9MM is ammo compatibility with your other semi-autos.
    Otherwise you're far better off with .38 Special +P+ which (my personal opinion) is a much more effective short barrel revolver cartridge.
    The moon clips are a disadvantage in my book & who needs them when there are speed loaders readily available?
    I believe that the reason 9mm revolvers are not more popular is that the 9MM is a great semi-auto cartridge with a 11+1 or 17+1 capacity advantage but not so incredible with 6 in a wheelie.

jfl
    There is a small difference in bullet diameter between .38 (.357 diameter) and the 9mm (.355 diameter).
    Probably doesn't make a difference at close range.

About the Charter Arms: whatever has that name on it will make me run away.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links