Glock 19/26 Follow Up ??

This is a discussion on Glock 19/26 Follow Up ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The vote seems pretty well split right down the middle on the G19 vs G26 debate. Here is a question I was thinking of last ...

Thread: Glock 19/26 Follow Up ??

Glock 19/26 Follow Up ??

The vote seems pretty well split right down the middle on the G19 vs G26 debate. Here is a question I was thinking of last night, that I have never seen addressed:

In a worst possible case close-range self-defense scenario, would the shorter grip on the Glock 26 make the gun easier to twist out of your hand by the assailant? It seems you would be able to provide more leverage on the Glock 19 handle.

Just food for thought. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

If the bad guy is that close and you missed then I think you lost the gun battle. Time to fight or run.

Not necessarily. I was thinking specifically of a scenario where the assailant was under the influence of drugs or alcohol and was already hit, but made it to you before he goes down.

Saddle,

I wouldn't let that be a relevent criteria in your decision. If it gets to that point, the size of the grip won't matter (the size of the slide may, a little), but you're better off learning and practicing retention techniques.

IMHO,
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I am no expert by any means. If the Bad guy is trying grab my gun or is coming for me and my gun I would try to empty it into him by the time he could wrestle if from my hands or eject the mag and try to fire the last round then run or fight in that order. If he took say 7 of 10 rounds of 9mm and is still coming. I don't think I want to be there when he arrives or I would leave at all due haste to stay away from him. Honestly I don't think the grip size will matter.

I am sure more educated opinions will be offered.

Take a SD pistol course, you will learn the basics about weapon retention in an 'up close situation'.

Hopefully, someone is not going to be able to engage physically with you without having some 'holes' in his attack position.

OMO

Stay armed...take a course or two...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is a VERY real possibility that most people don't want to think about: the bad guy going hands on with you.

It's nice to think about the 21 foot rule but mostly it is a pipe dream.

I believe that gun fights and knife fights, etc. are the rare exception.

I believe that the norm involves ambushes that you must deal with. The bad guy won't want you to know that he is a threat until he is already attacking you.

A gun is one of the many tools you use.

I would suggestion some retention training and some close quarters combat training including in fight weapon accessing.

Don't get fixated on the "I have to shoot him" idea.

You have to STOP him. That may entail ramming the muzzle into his face and possibly shooting as you withdraw the gun from his face or maybe just pure H2H.

Retaining a firearm that the bad guy has grabbed is a skill you must practice to stay sharp on.

If you get a chance to train with Tom Sotis, Larry Lindenman or SouthNarc, don't pass it up. You will see that the world of REAL self defense is much larger than just using your gun. (Warning - keep a goodly supply of Motrin on hand during and after these classes).

As the quote goes: "the fight is what the fight is; not what you want it to be".
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

if BG that close, you lost the gunfight.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

Don't forget...the G19 has a rail....the G26 won't. Just in case you thought of a light/laser.

VIP Member
    That shouldn't influence your decision. I would base my decision more on my intended application. I had the same choice to make not too long ago and I went with the G19. I wasn't real comfortable with the shorter grip of the G26. OMO
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Go into YouTube and type "Lahner Tactical". Theres a good promo video showing you some extreme close quarters shooting.

From what I see you are supossed to hold attacker back with your support hand while keeping the pistol close to your body and pointed slghtly lower than centre mass (you dont want to inadvertantly shoot too high and hit your own hand), at which point you proceed to empty the mag.

Seriously even if you landed half of the G19 mag into attacker I cant see how they would keep coming (with any force) after taking 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm hollow point to the chest\stomach area.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure there are plenty of Krav Maga dojos in Denver. That would be a great place to learn some close quarters, anything goes, street fighting. Not so much weapon retention, but like others have said, if you are that close to your attacker, you may not have a chance to even draw your weapon before they are up in your grill.

Links