How many here feel confident on carrying a 9mm as oppose to a .40 cal or 357?

This is a discussion on How many here feel confident on carrying a 9mm as oppose to a .40 cal or 357? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range with my buddy who has a Sig 9mm and I have a Glock 23.40 S&W. I seem to have an ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many here feel confident on carrying a 9mm as oppose to a .40 cal or 357?

How many here feel confident on carrying a 9mm as oppose to a .40 cal or 357?

I went to the range with my buddy who has a Sig 9mm and I have a Glock 23.40 S&W. I seem to have an easier time shooting the 9mm because of the small recoil the majority of the shots were on and near the bulls eye but I didn't like the 9mm because it didn't seem to have that power of a .40 cal Glock 23. I am not disrespecting the 9mm but I told my friend I don't feel safe carrying the 9mm because it lacks power than a .40 cal. How many here feel confident on carrying a 9mm as oppose to a .40 cal or 357?

2. Remove Ads

I would be just as confident carrying a 9 than my .40. Basically shot placement is key so if you can ping 'em with a 9 in the right spots then you don't need the higher caliber round.

My next handgun just be a 9mm M&P, I got a chance to shoot one last Sunday and it was niiiice.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

9mm is my everyday carry as it is for my wife. This is a matter rife with religious fervor. I'll just say I am more than comfortable with the power of my GoldDot 147gr JHPs through my Kimber Ultra CDP II.

YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I carry a G23, but my XD9 subcompact is also available. 9mm is sufficient.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Most of the bad rap that 9mm has comes from the military I think. The 9mm NATO round is not a great choice for self defense. There are 9mm rounds out there though that are designed for self defense and will get the job done effectively.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Moderator
    9mm is my primary defensive round.

.40 S&W is a solution to a non-problem if you ask me.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Not me, I've read too many reports of the 9mm not finishing off a target EVEN with great shot placement. Look at the report from the FBI shoot-out on April 11th 1986. A gunman killed 2 FBI Special Agents AFTER being srtuck by 2 "non-survivable mortal wounds". He killed 2 and wounded 6 others after he was shot.

They killed the BG, but not fast enough. The 9mm doesn't stop the fight, at least not quickly enough for me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    If some is good, more is better. I prefer a 40. Old school. That said, most days I carry a snubby in 38 so my logic may be flawed. With 5 in the wheel, I count on placement and not quantity or a sledgehammer caliber. And I'll admit that I still harbor anti 9mm feelings that aren't as valid these days given the advancements in 9mm ammo. But in the end, when I carry auto it begins with a "4".
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Now I prefer my Kimber in .45, but I would certainly feel just fine with my Glock-26 tudcked into my waist.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry .45 as much as possible. Depending on my concealment method, I also have the option to carry 9MM or .380.

I will not hesitate to carry either of the smaller calibers. I would take My P232 .380 over going unarmed every time.

It has been said many times before, but shot placement makes all the differance.

wpk
    My EDC round is federal hst 9mm and I have no qualms at all about its use for primary defense.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

better get the popcorn going Mom,going to be a long night.....
    O. D. A. T.

I agree with inspyerd , with the right ammo a 9 mm will do the job, but I for one carry a .45acp or .40cal even tho I have a 9mm that I can carry.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

caliber schmaliber... Just shoot em in the right spot.

Problem solved.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Not me, I've read too many reports of the 9mm not finishing off a target EVEN with great shot placement. Look at the report from the FBI shoot-out on April 11th 1986. A gunman killed 2 FBI Special Agents AFTER being srtuck by 2 "non-survivable mortal wounds". He killed 2 and wounded 6 others after he was shot.

They killed the BG, but not fast enough. The 9mm doesn't stop the fight, at least not quickly enough for me.
    Everybody reacts differently. This is one case and I am sure there are others where it did not work. This could of just as easily worked the same way with 40 or 45 on this guy. This is a loaded question. Everybody has their preferred ammo and caliber. You just need to find yours.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links