New truck gun

This is a discussion on New truck gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few days ago I bought a Rossi model 972 .357 as a car/truck gun. When I first saw it, I thought it was a ...

Thread: New truck gun

New truck gun

A few days ago I bought a Rossi model 972 .357 as a car/truck gun. When I first saw it, I thought it was a Taurus model 66 since it has "Braztech" and "Made by Taurus in Brazil" stamped/engraved on the frame. It also has the new Taurus security lock system... I could do without it, but it's part of the hammer. I took a second look and saw ROSSI on the barrel and grip medallions. I check it out and it looks and feels as well made as any Taurus. Aside from slightly different grip designs, the two real differences I could find between the T66 and the R972 are the Taurus uses a transfer bar firing system while the Rossi uses the S&W style pin, and the Taurus holds 7 shots vs. the Rossi's 6 rounds. Also, the Rossi's SS finish is polished while the Taurus has a more satin look. They also come in a blued version.

This is the first of the Braztech/Taurus Rossi's I've owned. I have several others, but my other Rossi's were purchased between 10 and 15 years ago. I've always been a fan of Rossi and looked at them as a poor man's S&W. I've found them to be as well made as my S&W's and aside from possibly not being as polished, you would often be hard pressed to find much difference between the two.

With the purchase of Rossi by Taurus a few years ago, I wondered if Rossi would shut down, maybe become another Taurus model or remain independent. While the new Rossi's seem to have remained pretty much the same as pre Braztech models, there were a few concessions to Taurus, like the trigger lock and a few T66 parts used in the Rossi (probably to cut cost and because they work).

I've fired about a box and a half of ammo (fifty rds of .38 SPL +P's and twenty rds of .357). All fired without any problems what so ever and the gun was as easy to shoot after fifty rounds as the first. It has a 6" barrel - this is no pocket gun unless you have some BIG pockets - with adjustable sights and keeping my shots in a 2" circle at 30 yards was no problem at all. The trigger is a joy, especially compared to most of the auto's I've used. my guess for trigger weight in D/A is around 7-8 lbs, in S/A about 2-3 lbs and very even through the entire length of the D/A mode. I assume it will get even better after it's had a few hundred more rounds through it, though it doesn't seem necessary. I posted a photo of the new revolver, but it didn't turn out that well. I also posted a comparison picture (again, sorry for the quality) of the Taurus 66 and the Rossi 972 I took off the web. You can see the family resemblance

MSRP is about $400, but I got it NIB from a local sporting goods store for $289. I consider that a steal considering the quality of the gun. FWIW, if this is an indication of the work that Rossi/Taurus is putting out these days, I'll be looking to buy a few more in the near future.

I'd be interested in hearing any opinions on the Rossi or the Taurus as they seem to be cut from the same cloth. If anyone is looking for a well made, reasonably priced revolver in .357 (there's also a .38 SPL only model and guns with 2" or 4" barrels), you could do far worse and spend a whole lot more money if you fail to give the new Rossi's a try. Now, if I could only find some nice wood grips...
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Nice looking gun mang! I think its proububly a little long and bulky for a car\truck gun but if you can handle it fast and with accuacy in a car under pressure then i think it will work well for you! did you have thouse starfires laying around or is that a new box? if so where did you get them? they seemed to be sold out all over the net! thanks
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Nice wheel gun, just IMO a little long for the car/truck use. But whatever works!

I would sit in the truck ofcourse a do some practicing with it to check out clearances, etc.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious
    Nice looking gun mang! I think its proububly a little long and bulky for a car\truck gun but if you can handle it fast and with accuacy in a car under pressure then i think it will work well for you! did you have thouse starfires laying around or is that a new box? if so where did you get them? they seemed to be sold out all over the net! thanks
    I've had the bullets for a while. A friend who worked at a gun shop a number of years ago gave me about a dozen boxes of it and Black Talon in 9mm, 380, .38 and .357 when the owner died and the place closed. I got a few good deals on some guns at the same time. A new Winchester Defender pump for $99 was one of them and a Mitchell's Mauser Premium grade M48 with all the extras for $199!

I've always preferred a revolver as a car gun since you can mix and match your ammo, there's no safety to fumble with, you don't have empty cases flying around the interior if you have to fire from the vehicle and they are reliable to a fault. I like SS since stainless stands up to the weather better than blue. For years I kept a 4' Ruger Security Six in .357, but it was stolen during a burglary a while back. 6" is a bit long, but I also plan to do some target shooting and other things with the Rossi besides keeping it in my vehicle. There's also the intimidation factor of that long barrel staring at you that seems to impress people more than a snubby, though my wife keeps a satin S&W Ladysmith .38 in hers as her weapon of choice.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Assistant Administrator
    Seems very good value Robert - and I am a sucker for wheelguns too!! I am sure that providing the usual stuff like timing etc is good then that will be a fine shooter - added to which chances are it may not be a gun you'll put many 1,000's of rounds thru. very handy for a non carry weapon. Taurus has improved in recent years IMO tho still the odd lemon it seems.

Below is my M66 Taurus - bought somewhat on a whim and before I had found one or two of my now Smith N frames - it filled a gap for some while. I was more than surprised that it was out the box one very sweet shooter - luck maybe but a trigger which was every bit as smooth as a Smith. Feels great too.

It has some rather obviously ''scrappy'' machining on the star and yet function is fine. Being a 7 shot is something I never quite got used to! It does tho very ideally fill a niche as a HD gun - and I reckon my wife shoots that better than anything else of mine she has tried. So - it sits in its secret spot, full of 110 Corbon +P - a round she finds very manageable compared with hot loads.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I want to get a Ruger SP101 for a truck gun. Either 2 or 3" barrel.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    I want to get a Ruger SP101 for a truck gun. Either 2 or 3" barrel.
    I'd like to have one of those for summer carry to the pool etc.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

CCW with a Speedo. EEEWWWWWW!!!!!
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Seems very good value Robert - and I am a sucker for wheelguns too!! I am sure that providing the usual stuff like timing etc is good then that will be a fine shooter - added to which chances are it may not be a gun you'll put many 1,000's of rounds thru. very handy for a non carry weapon. Taurus has improved in recent years IMO tho still the odd lemon it seems.

Below is my M66 Taurus - bought somewhat on a whim and before I had found one or two of my now Smith N frames - it filled a gap for some while. I was more than surprised that it was out the box one very sweet shooter - luck maybe but a trigger which was every bit as smooth as a Smith. Feels great too.

It has some rather obviously ''scrappy'' machining on the star and yet function is fine. Being a 7 shot is something I never quite got used to! It does tho very ideally fill a niche as a HD gun - and I reckon my wife shoots that better than anything else of mine she has tried. So - it sits in its secret spot, full of 110 Corbon +P - a round she finds very manageable compared with hot loads.
    I've always like them myself. There's something "classic" looking about most revolvers and I can always trust them to work. I have quite a few, from .22's up to a number of .45 Colt S/A's and some black powder revolvers. My pride and joy is a '58 Remington conversion. I have the original BP cylinder, but also have two conversion cylinders in .45 Colt and one in 45 ACP. With it's 7" barrel, I can hit pie plates at 50 yards all day long and if I run out of bullets, there's always powder and ball!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I have a Taurus Model 689 in .357 with a 6" tube in Stainless.
    It might be the best wheel gun I have ever owned. Accurate as can be and a trigger that breaks like a glass rod.
    When I had my f-150 it was my truck gun.
    Now I use it for Target. It doesn't fit in a Mustand glove box.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Good looking Handgun hows it shoot?

Like I said in my original post, I've only put about 70 rounds through it so it's still "new", but it hit POA at 30 yards straight from the box and the action is as smooth as the one on my S&W that's had more like 500 rounds shot from it. Even shooting .357 loads, it wasn't any harder to control and the recoil any worse than shooting my wifes snubby .38. I'm sure the extra weight and 4" of barrel have something to do with that! I also suppose when you're use to shooting .45 LC revolvers and 40 S&W autos, a .357 isn't difficult to manage. My only complaint is the finish shows every print and smudge on it. My earlier model SS Rossi's have a more satin like finish (I guess Taurus kept that for their line of pistols) than the new polished steel models.
    Last edited by rachilders; February 22nd, 2006 at 09:43 AM.

Links