1911 barrel length for cc

This is a discussion on 1911 barrel length for cc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of us who may have 1911-style pistols with 5-inch barrels and 4-inch (approx.) barrels, do you find that you're much more likely to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 barrel length for cc

For those of us who may have 1911-style pistols with 5-inch barrels and 4-inch (approx.) barrels, do you find that you're much more likely to carry the shorter barreled pistol as your EDC? I'm trying to get a sense of whether that extra inch of barrel/pistol length tends to significantly decrease the likelihood that a full-size 1911 will be carried as a CCW. I don't want to buy a full size 1911 only to find it sitting in a drawer if I ever need it.

Thanks in advance.
    HBC

It's not usually the barrel length that causes concealment difficulties...it's the grip length.
    Actually, one can learn to use, dress around, and easily conceal anything. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've got a 5-inch and a 4-inch 1911; the 4-inch gets carried more simply because it's a lightweight (alloy frame), which saves about 8 ounces. I've noticed no difference in comfort level based on the barrel length, and as retsupt99 pointed out, the stuff sticking out of the holster is the same size for both.

JD
    Administrator
    I've had one of almost every size combo possible and I still carry the 5" full frame, but mainly as I haven't found another 4ish" 1911 that I like at the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by hbc View Post
    For those of us who may have 1911-style pistols with 5-inch barrels and 4-inch (approx.) barrels, do you find that you're much more likely to carry the shorter barreled pistol as your EDC? I'm trying to get a sense of whether that extra inch of barrel/pistol length tends to significantly decrease the likelihood that a full-size 1911 will be carried as a CCW. I don't want to buy a full size 1911 only to find it sitting in a drawer if I ever need it.

Thanks in advance.
    HBC
    I usually carry the 5" unless I know I'll be doing a lot of sitting/getting up throughout the day. Then I grab the 3.5" - it has a shorter grip.

I'm bouncing back and forth between a 4.25" upper on an officer's frame, or a longslide fullsize for the next one
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Now a days if I carry a 1911 it is one of the full Colts that I have.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    The barrel length isn't a problem other than the weight difference. I've carried them all and I prefer the one's with the shorter compact/officers grip. The best compromise may be a 4" barrelled 1911 with the short officers grip.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Randall Raider 4.25".
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

You might want to look into "CCO" 1911. It is a commander barrel (4") but the shorter (more concealable) officer frame. Kimber calls this style "compact". I just picked up a Compact Kimber CDP II for my EDC and I love it. I think Colt calls it the CCO (not 100% on that).

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It's not usually the barrel length that causes concealment difficulties...it's the grip length.
    Actually, one can learn to use, dress around, and easily conceal anything. OMO
    While this is true - if you carry a smaller gun which is ALSO
    Lighter - you have gained an advantage.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Administrator
    I often carry a Colt Combat Commander.
    I think that it's slightly more perfectly balanced than a full length 1911 and comes out of the holster from behind the hip possibly a hair quicker but nothing that I could measure.

I carry a full size 5". The key is a very good holster to spread out the weight.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." TR 1913

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." TR 1903

Thanks for the insights. I hadn't been thinking too much about the frame size/grip length issue, but it makes sense that that would be as important as barrel length to overall concealability. A CCO model seems like a good option, at least in terms of what I'm looking for.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    In my 1911 days, I actually preferred the 5" for IWB carry, as the shorter 1911s would poke me in a certain spot, that the 5" guns would bridge over. Coupled with the fact that I could stand on my hind legs and shoot a 5" 1911 effectively at MUCH farther range, this was a no-brainer. I tended to have reliability drama with shorter 1911s, too. The only 1911 I still own is a 5", a Baer TRS, but I had some truly reliable Colt Government Models and Govt-sized Springfield.

A parallel situation exists with sixguns. I don't like carrying snubbies IWB, unless it is forward of the hip bones, in the "appendix" position. I can CC a 4"-plus sixgun IWB comfortable. (A 4" sixgun is configured, proportionately, about like a 5" 1911.)

CDH
    Like QKShooter, I carry a Commander for the balance and feel rather than for the shorter barrel and slide.

The Commander is so much better balanced (to me) than the full size 1911.
    I actually have both the XSE Lightweight Commander as well as the Stainless Commander, and even though the Stainless is heavier, I prefer carrying it more than the Lightweight XSE. I think it's because the Stainless model doesn't have the ambi-safety so it sits a bit flatter against me.

At any rate, the "ordinary" O4091U Commander is my favorite for carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links