Help with Glock 26 Logic Please

This is a discussion on Help with Glock 26 Logic Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys. I promise this is my last post regarding this issue (G19 vs G26), but from the responses I have received from members of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Glock 26 Logic Please

Help with Glock 26 Logic Please

Hi guys. I promise this is my last post regarding this issue (G19 vs G26), but from the responses I have received from members of the forum, I have a very focused question that I was hoping you guys could clarify for me:

In many of the responses I have received, this seems to be a common answer: "You can't go wrong with either one, but if you are going to add a pinkie extension to the G26, just go with the 19."

That response seems slightly counter-intuitive to me as follows: If I have the G26 and add the extension (or add a G19 Magazine with a Sleeve) then I have a full size grip, but I always have the OPTION to use the standard magazine if I need better concealment. This is the basic "you can always make the G26 bigger, but you can never make the G19 smaller" argument.

However, because I respect the opinion of so many members of this forum and because so many of you have come to the opposite conclusion, I must be missing something. Does the Glock 19 shoot better than a G26 with a G19 magazine and sleeve? What other criteria/characteristics are causing so many of you to recommend the G19 rather than putting an extension on the G26 and seemingly having the best of both worlds.

I plan to make my final decision by tomorrow at lunchtime. As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes, a 19 shoots better. It has a longer barrel and longer sight radius. With that sound, the 26 is by no means a poor choice. Its just that if you are going to lengthen the 26 grip, you have tossed out the biggest advantage of the 26 over the 19.

No matter what one you choose, both are great pistols.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
    Hi guys. I promise this is my last post regarding this issue (G19 vs G26), but from the responses I have received from members of the forum, I have a very focused question that I was hoping you guys could clarify for me:

In many of the responses I have received, this seems to be a common answer: "You can't go wrong with either one, but if you are going to add a pinkie extension to the G26, just go with the 19."

That response seems slightly counter-intuitive to me as follows: If I have the G26 and add the extension (or add a G19 Magazine with a Sleeve) then I have a full size grip, but I always have the OPTION to use the standard magazine if I need better concealment. This is the basic "you can always make the G26 bigger, but you can never make the G19 smaller" argument.

However, because I respect the opinion of so many members of this forum and because so many of you have come to the opposite conclusion, I must be missing something. Does the Glock 19 shoot better than a G26 with a G19 magazine and sleeve? What other criteria/characteristics are causing so many of you to recommend the G19 rather than putting an extension on the G26 and seemingly having the best of both worlds.

I plan to make my final decision by tomorrow at lunchtime. As always, any insight is greatly appreciated.
    You have your answer right there...

I'd still go with the G-26.
    With the 'pinky' entension (not an extended mag with an extra round) you have not really lengthened the grip by much...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Felt recoil is different for each gun. IMO the G26 has more of a muzzle flip feel verses the extra size and weight of the G19. I would recommend renting both guns so you can get a feel for the one you want.
    Some recommend the pinky extension for the G26 to help with the recoil flip. (more leverage)

Also you can always go larger but you can not make the G19 any smaller.

Administrator
    If you dont care about the added sight radius or better balance, carry the 26 with a 26 mag, and carry 19 or 17 mags for your reload. Thats the best way to get the best of both worlds.

And its tougher to carry an a short barreled but large and heavy griped gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just got the G27-same gun in .40. I got the perce extensions and like it. Getting used to cc'ing it. I want to get the +2 clip for it for range shooting, less reloading, more shooting. The longer barrel and sights will be more accurate at longer distances, but most SD is at 7yds or closer, so i read. So the smaller gun is sufficient,IMO.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Like others have said, you can make a 26 bigger, can't go the other way around. I like options, but that is just me. Why not get a 27 and get a 26 barrel? Again.....options.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If you're willing to put a G19 under the knife, you can make it smaller (grip reduction), but it will be permanent and there is no going back. It would be easier to make the G26 bigger if you wish to have more firepower than having 10+1 rounds of 9mm and making it smaller is a mag swap away. I still continue to carry my 19 even though the 26 would be more comfortable to carry.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I have carried both the 19 and the 26, and the one advantage the 26 has on the 19 is that you can pocket carry it in a large pocket (of course). That is something to also consider with summertime being around the corner.
    God bless our troops!

G A P H O M E

Try these for the added control of the short grip...but still remain concealable.
    Buy 17 and 19 mags for extra rounds and reloads. Problem solved.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ok, I have both and about 6 magazines for each... I've never shoot my Glock 26 with a Glock 19 magazine... and 5 of the 6 Glock 26 magazines have a Pearce +0 magazine extension... when I carry my Glock 26 I carry with no extension and an extra magazine with the extension, so if I need it it's there.

As I stated just a few minutes ago on another thread of 19 vs 26 I believe if I had to choose I would say buy the Glock 19, but if printing is a concern I would not have a problem saying buy the Glock 26... they will both be part of my collection for some time to come.

Here is a picture I put together with both in the same holster... clearing you can see there is a difference in size even with the +0 extensions:
    Last edited by fatboy97; April 2nd, 2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added image
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

As others have stated, you can't make a G19 smaller. But you can turn a G26 into a G19 in just a few seconds:

- Drop in a G19 barrel (completely compatible)
    - Use G19 mags with A&G mag sleeves

IMHO it makes no sense to use Pearce grip extensions unless you're trying to add more mag capacity (in which case you should just use G19 mags as mentioned above). Use Gap Enterprise's finger rest instead, which doesn't increase the grip length.

The G19 is significantly larger and heavier (when fully loaded) than the G26. I've tried both and the G26 wins hands down. Carry an extra mag if you like - it's far more comfortable and concealable than a G19.
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

IMO, you should follow your reasoning and go with the G26. You know you want it...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I have a G27, but no G23.....I have a G19 and no G26. Go figure! If you're new to Glocks and the compact/sub-compact plastics category, the sub-compact may take a bit more work on your part to achieve synergism. The larger compact G19 will more than likely be easier for you to get used to and shoot better with. I'm sure a lot of folks who simply don't like Glocks got turned off at some point, and I figure some of them were turned off by the fact their choice of the sub-compact just wouldn't work for them. I went for a sub-compact Glock 27 for CC my very first time and it worked well for me. The G26 may work well for you from the very start....but, it's my opinion that the sub-compacts may not do well on average for the beginning Glocksters, and I'd hate for that to lead to disappointment.

Bleh....personally, I think the stubby G26 grip is a non-issue. I don't use any kind of extension on mine, and I do just fine with it. I recently shot an IDPA match with mine, and I actually did well, even with the longer shots. That's not to say you won't need to practice with it, because your grip technique will be critical.

My reasoning behind not using the extensions is that I bought a sub for concealability, and if I had wanted that grip length, I'd have gotten a G19.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links