Bug or not

This is a discussion on Bug or not within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to know if you carry a 1911 as a primary carry do you feel you need to carry a bug also?...

View Poll Results: Bug or not

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I depend only on my 1911

46 31.51%
  • I carry a bug 100% of the time with my 1911

14 9.59%
  • I carry my 1911 and a 50% of the time

8 5.48%
  • I won't carry a 1911 as a Primary carry.

78 53.42%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug or not

Bug or not

I would like to know if you carry a 1911 as a primary carry do you feel you need to carry a bug also?

2. Remove Ads

I carry a Colt Defender. After 200 rounds and one ftf, then another 475 flawless rounds, 200 of them my carry round, I am confident in it's function and feel no need for a bug.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I carry a Colt Defender. After 200 rounds and one ftf, then another 475 flawless rounds, 200 of them my carry round, I am confident in it's function and feel no need for a bug.
    I carry a Springfield TRP or a S&W 1911 both are full size. And I am fairly new to 1911's so I at times I am not 100% confident but I just don't want to carry a bug all the time. Both of these guns have been 100% every range trip gut I think it just the fact that 1911's are a different platform then I'm used to.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I rarely carry a 1911 due to size. That said, I'm a major fan of the model and feel that if you're comfortable carrying one, that's all you need. Know your weapon and trust it, if it earns that trust.....and carry on.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

bug or not

Even though I trust my PT 145 after 1000 rounds, I still carry a S&W Airlight 38 just in case. My motto always be prepared.

I also carry a colt defender and never had any problems with it, I have a j frame for a Bug but have not seen or had the need to carry both weapons yet
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

A 1911 isn't for me. I carry a Sig 239 9mm and a S&W 442 38+p as my BUG.
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

HKR
    I don't carry a 1911, but regardless of what I carry, I carry a BUG.
    My carrying a BUG has nothing to do with a primary carry and it's reputation or caliber or capacity or anything other than having another option to defend myself.

I always carry a bug, whether I am carrying a 1911 or a glock. No weapon is full proof.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Bug Gun

A cool little BUG if your looking for one.
    Attached Images
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

I love my kimber pro carry-but i would like to have a kel-tect pf9 to. Looking for one to buy soon.
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

I won't carry a 1911 as primary. Don't get me wrong, I love my S&W 1911PD 5", shoot it well, and have on occasion carried it since it is so slim, light, and easy to carry BUT I don't practice enough with it and have doubts that LEOs recognize the cocked and locked condition should I ever be stopped for any reason and have to let them know I carry. Also, I like the under stress ease of being able to present my firearm and just pull the trigger without taking the safety off (again, a practice and training issue). So, it's my M&P9c, Kahr CW9, S&W 640, or even the Keltec P3AT when I go out.

VIP Member
    I carry a 1911 with a BUG about 25% of the time.
    My BUG is my primary carry at work.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I have a LCP for BUG and I do carry my 4" kimber. I also will carry my walther pps as primary and my LCP as BUG even then.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    I would like to know if you carry a 1911 as a primary carry do you feel you need to carry a bug also?
    I do not carry a 1911, but I do often carry a standard size Glock. When I carry a bug, I don't think the primary reason I carry the extra firearm is because I'm concerned about dependability. If I did not believe I could count on a firearm, I don't think I would carry it.

Part of the reason I would carry a BUG, would indeed be to have a back up weapon,in case my primary weapon malfunctions. But it would be a small consideration, as I don't think it would matter in a typical SD situation. If the gun I pull does not go bang, odds are, the BUG is just another item for the BG to loot once I'm dead.

The main reason I carry a BUG is because I'm in a situation where the other carry method might cause problems drawing.

For example, if I was in a car, and I was carrying my Glock IWB, or shoulder with a buttoned up shirt or coat on, I would consider a BUG ankle holster.

The coat is the best example. You live in Minnesota, so like MI, it gets cold. It is sometimes hard to get to the Glock due to how I tend to carry it, in winter months. So I BUG a revolver in a coat pocket to make it easy to get to.
    Last edited by Thanis; April 3rd, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links