Kahr CW40 question?

This is a discussion on Kahr CW40 question? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kahr CW40 question? I have a Kahr CW40 that shoots fine but when I load a magazine all the way and rack the slide, sometime ...

Thread: Kahr CW40 question?

Kahr CW40 question?

Kahr CW40 question? I have a Kahr CW40 that shoots fine but when I load a magazine all the way and rack the slide, sometime it doesn't close all the way. That first round just doesn't load very well but the gun has never failed to shoot. Is this normal for the Kahr CW40? Can I fix it? If not I see another Glock of XD Sub Compact in my future. What would you do with this gun? "FYI-The gun has only had about 350 rounds fired though it so far"
    Attached Images
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    Kahr CW40 question? I have a Kahr CW40 that shoots fine but when I load a magazine all the way and rack the slide, sometime it doesn't close all the way. That first round just doesn't load very well but the gun has never failed to shoot. Is this normal for the Kahr CW40? Can I fix it? If not I see another Glock of XD Sub Compact in my future. What would you do with this gun? "FYI-The gun has only had about 350 rounds fired though it so far"
    My CW 40 and PM9 both have always performed flawlessly so its certainly not something normal or common, at least with my Kahrs. By "not closing all the way" I take it you mean somethng is causing the round to hang up and not seat fully in the chamber and the slide does not go fully in battery. Look closely for any burrs on the feed ramp or chamber face. You may want to very carefully polish the ramp. Do you have more than one mag, since only one comes with the CW series guns? If so do you have the issue when using both mags? This could possibly happen because the guide rod or guide rails get really gummed up, the guide spring is too weak, or the chamber is malformed (bad if this is the issue), or even your ammunition choice. Either way, a well maintained, modern semi-automatic pistols should not have this happen. If it does there are several things you can do to attempt to prevent the malfunction from reoccurring. First, completely strip the firearm and give it a thorough cleaning. Second, try different types of ammunition, it could simply be that your firearm does not handle a specific bullet design well. If this does not work send it back to the mothership for repairs. Kahr will make it right if you cannot fix the problem yourself.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    My CW 40 and PM9 both have always performed flawlessly so its certainly not something normal or common, at least with my Kahrs. By "not closing all the way" I take it you mean somethng is causing the round to hang up and not seat fully in the chamber and the slide does not go fully in battery. Look closely for any burrs on the feed ramp or chamber face. You may want to very carefully polish the ramp. Do you have more than one mag, since only one comes with the CW series guns? If so do you have the issue when using both mags? This could possibly happen because the guide rod or guide rails get really gummed up, the guide spring is too weak, or the chamber is malformed (bad if this is the issue), or even your ammunition choice. Either way, a well maintained, modern semi-automatic pistols should not have this happen. If it does there are several things you can do to attempt to prevent the malfunction from reoccurring. First, completely strip the firearm and give it a thorough cleaning. Second, try different types of ammunition, it could simply be that your firearm does not handle a specific bullet design well. If this does not work send it back to the mothership for repairs. Kahr will make it right if you cannot fix the problem yourself.
    The problem is only when I rack the slide by hand slowly. If I rack the slide fast it's ok and it always shoots ok.

The problem is only when I rack the slide by hand slowly. If I rack the slide fast it's ok and it always shoots ok.
    That's the issue right there. No semi auto, to my knowledge, is designed to be manipulated slowly. Rack it hard, it won't break. Use it as it was designed and your problem will probably go away.

Kahr pistols are designed to be loaded by locking back the slide and then hitting the slide release. It may take a bit of thumb pressure to release the slide as Kahr recoil springs are pretty stout.

PC

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCartwright View Post
    Kahr pistols are designed to be loaded by locking back the slide and then hitting the slide release. It may take a bit of thumb pressure to release the slide as Kahr recoil springs are pretty stout.

PC
    +1

This.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by windowman2 View Post
    That's the issue right there. No semi auto, to my knowledge, is designed to be manipulated slowly. Rack it hard, it won't break. Use it as it was designed and your problem will probably go away.
    Yep! Rack it hard! You are certainly not going to be any harder on it then the recoil of the bullets you are firing on it.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Thats the issue right there ! Go to page 12 of your Kahr owners manual. It basically states to load a magazine, pull back slide and lock, release slide lock to chamber a round. If you choose to rack the slide to chamber a round do it hard and fast and this issue will go away.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks for all the help! I will give it a try and let ya'll know how it works out.

Links