New here Para Ordnance Question

This is a discussion on New here Para Ordnance Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I hope this introduction finds everyone well. I currently carry a Kel Tec P-11 in a Galco IWB (mixed feelings about comfort), and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here Para Ordnance Question

New here Para Ordnance Question

Hello all. I hope this introduction finds everyone well. I currently carry a Kel Tec P-11 in a Galco IWB (mixed feelings about comfort), and I have a Kangaroo holster coming. I have been looking at getting a 1911 .45 in the near future and the Kimber ultra carry 2 and Para Ordinance Model year 2009 CCW keeps coming up. I like the lifetime warranty, shape, and longer barrel of the PA over the Kimber. Could anyone give me any personal experiences with with company and its products? I have been researching for about 3 days now. Thank you everyone in advance.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hi Chains1240,

Can't help you with your Para question, but I noticed your Location.

Welcome from Lansing, and I hope you find this site as informative as I have.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I just got a para CCW. I have had for quite some time a Para PDA LDA.
    The CCW has the LDA as well. I like these guns because I get all of the benefits of a 1911 gun including all the interchanging customizations but I don't have to carry the gun cocked and locked. I know that it is safe in the regular SA 1911 but I just can't get there right now.
    The triggers are awesome they allow a smooth uptake and then resistance not unlike the kimber trigger to accurately snap the shot. Also the same exact trigger pull every time of around 5 pounds with a long enough pull to help prevent a UD in a high stress self defense encounter. I too have looked hard at this decision and I went with the LDA Paras. Great reliability and warranty. The ones I have will shoot anything I have put in them

Thank you for the replies. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the PO CCW? And if you carry concealed what are your preferred holsters?

I paid $875 it is in stainless steel. I have not had the Para CCW that long so lately just a Aker flatsider OWB. I use a Galco miami classic II the most due to my job and I can carry both the PDA and the CCW in the same holster. I have a VMII from Milt Sparks on order. All new holsters I have gotten for the commander sized CCW which allows me to put my PDA in all of them as well when I need a little more room. I do use an Galco ankle glove allot with the PDA. The pair is nice because if I want a backup gun I carry the CCW on belt or shoulder and the PDA in the ankle. Same ammo same trigger pull slightly different sight picture. Only difference is the magazines. Great for mix and match.FWIW

VIP Member
    I don't own either brand, but from other posts I've read, most everyone loves their Kimber's, the Para's have very mixed reviews. Especially when it comes to reliability and customer service issues.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

One thing that I believe and this is an opinion only is that if you are willing to put in the time and train yourself for the responsibility of carrying a 1911 cocked and locked then the kimber probably is a more refined gun. Read the Tactical 1911 by Dave Lauck. Mas did the foreword and what I just said is his opinion on carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. I am training constantly but it is not in my realm of comfort to do that. This is no detraction from those that do. If I was choosing a SA I probably would not choose the kimber. I have heard alot of reliability issues. Even more than from para. ( I have had none of these issues) Since I am picking a defense SA weapon I would go with a D&L sports custom 1911 since that gun is set for the purpose i.e. heavier trigger and other such options. IMHO

One of the reasons I was looking at the PA CCW over the say Kimber ultra carry 2 was the lack of hammer and other parts on the rear of the pistol that may snag on my clothing when taking the pistol out of the holster.

I went with the Kimber over Para

Quote Originally Posted by Upland man View Post
    If I was choosing a SA I probably would not choose the kimber. I have heard alot of reliability issues. Even more than from para. ( I have had none of these issues)
    I think you hear about Kimber issues more frequently simply because there are a heck of a lot more Kimbers out there being carried than Paras. Also, as with any product like this, there are fanbois and h8ters. The guy who feels he got a lemon goes on the 'net and vents his anger on every board that discusses the product in question. Happy customers rarely bother.

Heck, I do that over the crappy way Chrysler treated me back when I was a young GI with a family. The Dodge minivan and then the Intrepid were both unmitigated POSs that left me and my family by the side of the road far too many times. Never again.

My wife's Aegis II needed about 300 rounds to run perfectly, mine about 500. Even then it was only one FTF in a hundred or so. These guns are tight as a tick, and simply like to be loosened up. Granted, that's not a big selling feature when my Sig or your Glock runs 100% from day one. In fact, some guys rant about that being completely unacceptable in the day and age. I understand their point. However, the construction, trigger pull, and concealability make them both great ccws once you break them in.

It's simply the nature of the beast.

I have been told ( hearsay) to skip over both Kimber and Para's and look at Springfield.

My Experience with Para Ordnance

Read Here about my experience with Para's Customer Service.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...+Para+Ordnance
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Thumbs up

I have a Para PDA/ LDA 9mm this is one of the nicest 9mm I own shot great from the box. Small, light, no cocked and locked and fast DA with a light trigger, plus night sights. Shoots where you point it. I now am interested in the 45 CCO or another PDA. Recoil with the nine is nill. This gun is a sleeper. Funny thing was that every time I went into the my local gun store I looked at this gun. Im surprised someone didn't buy it. I called the gun store, plus this gun store is very high volume and it was still there. I asked them to put it aside and I would be in next day to get it. I went into the store and someone brought the gun back out and another guy wanted to purchase the gun but it was put away for me and I got it. The irony of this is one hour later and the gun would have been gone. When I went into the store they couldn't find the gun but we had the box and it was still listed in the computer, that's when we found it in the display and the other guy wanted to buy it. I guess it was meant for me. I thought it's either good luck for him or bad luck for me if the gun was a lemon. As it turned out, this gun was unreal shot a 48 and 49 out of 50 in quals last week. Very nice gun I call this gun my sleeper. Never thought about this gun ever, plus it has a great trigger.

I bought 2 Para's and they both were out of the box defective....I had major pains with PA's CS or lack of it...please save yourself some headaches and buy anything other than a Para. The older ones were ok but anything made within the last year or 2 is prone to major problems. Look on M1911.org under the Para section and see the problems that those guys are having....wish I had foud it before I plunked down $1000 bucks on the junk I bought. Robbie

I have heard bad things about both, but more bad for the para i think. Especially about the finish and customer service about them. I think if i were going to buy a 1911 it would be a springer.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links