S&w 442

This is a discussion on S&w 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the difference between a 442-1 and a 442-2? I'm kind of ignorant about the way they number their revolvers. I thought the 442-1 ...

Thread: S&w 442

S&w 442

What is the difference between a 442-1 and a 442-2? I'm kind of ignorant about the way they number their revolvers. I thought the 442-1 was without the lock and the 442-2 was with the lock. Am i wrong?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I did ask S&W that question a long time ago, in trying to remember what they said I believe that each number change was due to some minor upgrade or modification they made to the gun.

I have a 442-2 and it has a lock

Nothing I received with mine indicates a model number other than 442. It has featherweight in script on the side. The barrel is marked +P. Maybe one of the model # is the titanium cylinder?
    oldogy
    And mine has the lock.
    Last edited by oldogy; April 3rd, 2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: add lock information
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

I just picked mine up today because I noticed it didn't have the lock. When I got it home to check out it was stamped 442-2. The only reason I'm asking is because I contacted S&W about 2-3 months ago asking if they were going to produce anymore 442's without the internal lock. The rep told me no that the 642 was going to be the only one of the two without the lock (besides the classic models). Just wondering if they made a mistake because my 442 came with the keys. Also the spent casing has a date of 3-10-09 and it has the new style grips on them. So they obviously are making them and the rep had no idea what was what, and they are still on their website.
    Last edited by BigJerm80; April 3rd, 2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added info.

1943 - 2009
    The one absolute about Smith & Wesson is that there are no absolutes!

During the transition from the 442-1 (no lock) to the 442-2 (with lock) some frames get set aside for various reasons and then later find their way back into the production line. Most likely you have a 442-1 that was mis-stamped 442-2.

Another way to tell: The 442-1 has forged internal parts, the 442-2 has MIM parts.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I found yet another variation of the 442 that is a "tuned" version. S&W SKU # 178034 that has a Stoned Trigger, Hammer Foot & Rebound Seat
    Additional Features 2:Performance Ctr, DSC Exclus, Reduced Rebound Spring. This wasn't listed on the S&W site, but was listed on a dealer's site. Anyone familiar with this model?

Captain crunch, this may be a dumb question bit how do you tell the difference between forged and mim parts?

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    Captain crunch, this may be a dumb question bit how do you tell the difference between forged and mim parts?
    Visually, probably not much. A metallurgy expert could tell by looking, but the average person could not.

Here's one discussion I found:

A bit of opinion about MIM parts | Revolvers, Gunsmithing, Personal opinions, General gun stuff | GRANT CUNNINGHAM

MIM Gun Parts.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links