bought my first auto-Ruger p95- what should I know?

This is a discussion on bought my first auto-Ruger p95- what should I know? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a P95 for no apparent reason ( I am a revolver guy). Good price, looked cool, I suppose. So, what should I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bought my first auto-Ruger p95- what should I know?

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

I bought a P95 for no apparent reason ( I am a revolver guy). Good price, looked cool, I suppose. So, what should I know abouth these beasts? Is cleaning the chore it looks like it is? Accurate? I do not plan to replace my chief's special with this monster for carry- it is for plinking or the truck.
    Thanks. God Bless.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Congrats on the purchase. Your gonna get it for not posting pics.
    Curry

The Ruger P series

I've had the 95's predecessors the P89 and currently the P85.

The Ruger P Series does one thing extremely well that makes it a viable weapon: it feeds like a champ. Factory or Mec Gar magazines usually work the best.

Cleaning is easy, easier than a revolver typically. Takedown isn't too hard, just grab the slide stop and pull it out to release the slide. Download or request a free manual from Ruger for better instructions.

While the P series isn't my first choice in a pistol, they work, can often be had at low prices, and will outlast guns that cost significantly more. For a gun in the truck it's a pretty good choice actually.

They're accurate enough for social work. I always found mine hard to shoot with precision but I think it's just me, after all I qualified for my CHL with one.

I think for your intended application you did well. A Ruger semiauto would be a good gun to have at the end of the world as we know it. Don't let anyone tell you cast parts are inherently flawed either, they've never had a Ruger if they say that.

The P95 is imho an excellent model because it doesn't suffer from as much of the "Brick" syndrome the Ruger P series is known for. Its got much cleaner, sleeker, lines.

The main reason I got out of my P89 was I found the safety so very awkward. I think now I possibly should have sent the slide or whole gun into Ruger to have it inspected, but hindsight's always 20/20. I still don't regret getting out of it.

I'm permanently vested in the series now, might have to get the model 95 in the decocker configuration some day.

Everything Euclidean said. The Ruger P-series guns are stone-cold butt ugly, but they sure can shoot. Read the manual, take it apart and put it back together a few times, follow the manual's suggestions for lubrication and it'll last you a lifetime.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have a Ruger P94 in .40 caliber. Easy to clean compaired to some others. Always fun to shoot & I'm pretty accurate with it even if haven't practiced in a while.
    Rugers rate high with me.
    For God, Family and Country!

I have a shooting friend and every Sunday when we meet at the range, thats one of the guns he shoots. He calls it his truck gun, and boy, that thing is a shooter.
    Congrats !

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    ruger builds fine weapons and i feel their autos are underrated...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I own two, a p89 9mm and a p97DC in .45acp. I keep the .45 in the night stand, if never malfunctions, that is why it is where it is. not fancy, no bells, but the most reliable thing that goes bang. congrats on buying the most underrated firearm on the market.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Assistant Administrator
    I still have my P95DC and P97DC - they don't get as much action as once but - they are still fun recreational shooters and I'd not be too bothered to be carrying either again.

I did find that each benefitted greatly from fitting of Hogue Handalls - feel much better in the hand - in fact they point well and sit nice.

Small point - the recoil springs are retained when assembly is out, by a wee lilttle circlip dealie - they come off easily and get lost even easier!! Without one you can still get things all back together but it's harder. I lost mine on the P95 and spoke to Ruger to request a spare. Three arrived, PLUS - a complete recoil assembly!! Wow - I was impressed.

P series will go on and on - dead bang reliable, tough as nails and if you forget the looks and enjoy the feel and results - IMO they are still excellent pieces. I do not want to sell mine on - even tho they are little used these days.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

CONGRATS on your P95 purchase. Ruger makes a good gun, "butt ugly" as Euc says, but they shoot circles round others guns of the same size/quality.. There's a tab on the frame, and you'll see it while the slide is locked open, that you push downward, in order to dis-assemble it from the slide <just telling ya cuz you're gonna go hoopie trying to take it apart if you don't know about this little trick > it goes back together quite easlily too...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    The tab Bob is IIRC the ejector - as you say, easy to see once slide open.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    The tab Bob is IIRC the ejector - as you say, easy to see once slide open.
    You becha Chris
    I found out the other night, while trying to pull one apart... ......even I don't know everything, <don't wanna know either LOL> and I just wanted to pass the good info onward.. LOL,,
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

HEY chief, you did well with a P-95. That was my first pistol, I will NEVER sell it.
    Now that I have purchased my 1911, I’m kinda handing it down to my son (14 years old. It will be “officially” his when he is 21.)
    I have found that 9mm ammo is quite cheap too. Get the 100 round boxes at Wally-world, you’d be hard pressed to find any cheaper. Unless someone here knows of a better deal.
    I just wanted to say how easy it is to disassemble and reassemble. I was showing my son, and in just a few minutes he was doing it blind folded. THEN my 8 year old daughter wanted to try. She was able to disassemble and reassemble the gun first time from watching my son. After you have done it a few times (don’t forget that tab) you will be able to do it in your sleep.
    This is the first gun my wife shot. 3 rounds; 2 in the bulls eye, and one inside the 10 ring at 12.5 yards. (Thus the reason for my signature line.)
    ENJOY!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Ruger's are good guns the p95 will hold up well just clean it and lube it like a normal gun

Great Gun!

I have the P97 (45 ACP) and I can tell you...it is the one gun I would keep if I had to get rid of the rest (god forbid!). The P95 is the 9mm version (double stack and slightly chunckier). By all accounts it is a great gun as many have said...much under rated and a great deal.

Be proud of your choice...enjoy and pass it down to your kids (since it will likely out last you!)

Good choice...have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links