Rental M&P9 - not a great experience

This is a discussion on Rental M&P9 - not a great experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am still trying to decide on my first handgun( I have shot many but never bought one of my own.) I took the wife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rental M&P9 - not a great experience

Rental M&P9 - not a great experience

I am still trying to decide on my first handgun( I have shot many but never bought one of my own.) I took the wife with me to the range to try out the M&P, beacause I want something she can shoot too and I am particularly interested in the M&P. After feeling it in her hand, she felt like the compact felt much more comfortable to her, in fact her thumb doesnt reach the slide lock on the full size...( she is very petite)

Anyways, they only had a FS for rent so I rented it. It felt great however while she was shooting she had 2 ftfs and 1 time the slide didnt lock back. We only put 50 rounds through the rental, and I had no issues whatsoever, but I have to admit that this made me wonder if the M&P is right for us. Is this most likely becuase it is a rental? I have read that other people have had similar experiences. It would be unfortunate, because the M&P might be the first semi-auto that she can actually pull the slide back on(the XD spring was way to much for her)

2. Remove Ads

Reaching the slide release with the thumb shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    My daughter recently finished the police academy & they trained not to use the slide release, but to use the weak hand to pull the slide back & release. That's how most shooters I know actually do it.
    My M&P 9 & those of others I know work flawlessly. Rentals are notorious for neglect.
    If you want to know more about the M&P check out their forum.........

The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Sounds like a case of "limp wrist". The weapon needs sufficient resistance for it to cycle correctly. This often causes the slide not to lock back. What ammo was being used - that may have caused the FTF. Also, keep in mind that the gun was a rental and may not have been in the best condition.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Yes, I'd guess rental gun not in best shape. Also limp wristing, which does not give the gun proper support to recoil against, as the cause for the failures. Slide lock lever should not be a problem, just over ride it by pulling back slide and letting it go. If she can't pull back the slide. Can she hold it in weak hand and push gun forward with her strong hand at about waist level? That usually works better for weaker shooters, including my wife.

The M&P is a good weapon line, I own 2 with no problems.
    FYI- racking the slide on the rental will differ from a new gun.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

jfl
    Most of the courses, I know of, teach NOT to use the slide release; pull the slide back with your weak hand, your heel, etc.
    My wife, who shoots .44 mag with no problems, her .357 Scandium which I feel is much worse, have failure to feed with a lot of semi-auto, especially 1911's with the exception of my Luger P-09 and my Glocks 19 and 26.
    I believe it is because she is used to SA revolvers where the gun "rotates" in the hand and she is actually limp-wristing.
    One way to see that is how fast the shooter can fire follow-up shots.

Yep, rentals are not the greatest guns around; try to hook up with an instructor; most will let you shoot their guns; I do.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Failure to feed

I've rented the M&P and had no problems feeding, but thought the trigger took too much force compared to the XD and Glock. I ended up with a HK USP because it had the best trigger of the bunch in DA or SA mode, but it cost a lot more and the spare clips are 50 bucks. Sounds like weak wrist or the gun has an ammo preference. I've had to shy away from some loads with my variety of weapons because of preferences for certain ammo types. That's why they say its best to spend time with your gun at the range and research these issues to find a brand and load that works correctly. I'm assuming the M&P likes heavy bullets and hot loads. Guns with heavy springs in the slide need more force to rack the slide.

Then again, it could have had 500 rounds through it before you shot it that day. I had a Smith 645 that had FTF issues due to weak clip springs. A new set of Wolf springs cured it.
    Last edited by Str8key; April 4th, 2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: had another thought after i posted

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I hated my M&P .40c. It just plain sucked. A trip to S&W and a full once over and fluff & buff did nothing to remedy the problems. It is someone else's problem now.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Try out a RAMI BD if you can find one. Try a P-01 for yourself.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

[QUOTE=2rott;1095110]Reaching the slide release with the thumb shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    [QUOTE]

I agree. I have had two handgun courses with two different instructors. One former military and one a former state trooper. Neither one taught their students to release the slide with the thumb release nor would they recommend it.

I have an M&P 9mm and it will fire anything I can load into it without a single failure. I have had it more then a year now and it performs well. If she has trouble with racking the slide on semi-autos, maybe you should try some revolvers. My wife has had the same problem and she much prefers the revolvers. Shes getting a Ruger SP 101 next month.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

As an owner of four great M&P's, I would have to say that your experience comes down to 2 factors...

• Possible limp wristing
    • Poorly maintained rental gun

It could have been either or even both issues listed above. None of my M&P's have ever had a hiccup, but then again I keep all of my firearms in tip-top shape.

My M&P's

M&P40
    M&P357
    M&P9c
    M&P9 Pro Series
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I hated my M&P .40c. It just plain sucked. A trip to S&W and a full once over and fluff & buff did nothing to remedy the problems. It is someone else's problem now.
    Too bad the gun didn't work out for you. I too had to send my 9C back to S&W for mags dropping & the slide locking back with 1 round still in mag. They fixed the problem and apprx 700 rounds later not one FTF.

As others have said, there is no need to be able to reach the slide lock. The other problems are most likely being caused by her. Unless she is going to become a serious shooter; do her a favor and find a 3" .38 revolver.

She occasionally will use the slide lock to release the slide because she has a hard time with the slide, but she can and has releases the slide on semi's both ways. However, I was trying to say that she can't lock the FS open, because she cant get a good grip on it and reach the slide lock. Thats not the issue though, it was the 2 ftfs and the slide not locking open after emptying the mag.

I did consider the possibility she was "limp wristing", especially since it happened twice in the 30 rounds she shot, and not once in the 20 I shot. I also considered that it was a rental.

I may end up getting the 9c, truth is, she would "allow" me to get the FS 40 i want, but if I get the 9c for her, it will give me an excuse to get a FS later

Oh and we were shooting 115gr JHPs, I think they were remingtons (a green box)

I think it was most likely a combination of limp wristing the gun because this was y'alls first time shooting it and the fact the rental guns tend to not be taken care of like a private weapon. I love my 9c and will probably pick up a Full-Size next. I wouldn't overreact about it, besides, if you ever did have a problem, S&W Customer Service is second to none. They'll replace every part on the gun and pay shipping both ways to fix your problems.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links