looking for info on the Sig P232

This is a discussion on looking for info on the Sig P232 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a more concealable option than my SW 345. The 232 in .380 caught my eye today at the shop and seemed to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for info on the Sig P232

looking for info on the Sig P232

I'm looking for a more concealable option than my SW 345. The 232 in .380 caught my eye today at the shop and seemed to fit my hand perfectly.

Without starting the "bigger caliber/bigger magazine" debate...who carries the 232 and what do you like or dislike about it ?

mahalo

2. Remove Ads

There are lots of posts on here about Sig P232's. Ten different people will tell you ten different things.

I have one that I carry around the house and when I am in "summer attire" which for me is shorts, tee shirt and sandals. My P220 will stay locked in the bedside safe until cooler weather this fall.

It is a rock solid piece and you won't find a better .380 IMO. I consider the Sig Sauer P232 the "Rolls Royce of .380's" One thing you have to watch is grip placement because it will give you a NASTY bite if you dont.

Be Safe

NosaM

I've had a P232 for years. You can't get a better .380 -IMHO. The blue one is about 4oz. lighter.

An excellent article on the P232:

http://www.gunweek.com/2001/feature0410.html

I gave a hard look at the P-232, but I'm holding off for the Colt Mustang clone the P238!!!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    who carries the 232 and what do you like or dislike about it ?

I've got four different Sigs, so I guess you could say I like them.

I carry a blued model in a shoulder holster. It is very accurate, very reliable, one of the best natural pointing guns I've ever shot, and it is small enough and thin enough to carry and conceal.

I also have the stainless model, which I love for range sessions. The extra weight makes for softer recoil. With optional Nill grips the stainless model is a work of art IMO.

I have two others, both more for collection than use, a .32acp P230 and the "July, 2005, Gun of the Month" Rainbow Titanium model.

The Sig is certainly one of the best .380s made. It's slim profile makes it a natural choice to carry. Along with the fact that I can shoot very well with this particular pistol, make it a good choice for me.

I'm also quite partial to the Beretta 85 or 84... a superior pistol IMO but not as slim.

As I said, the Sig mostly rides in a Galco Half Harness or Miami Classic, but I've also carried in the Fletch holster. The Fletch W/ Sig may be the most comfortable carry rig I've had in the three decades I've carried. I carry with the excellent Hogue rubber grips instead of the factory plastic grips.

Now, what don't I like...

* Nights sights had to be factory installed, there are no aftermarket available. The newest model this year, finally comes with a removable pinned front sight, so NS will be an operator option.

* All magazines are not equal. Some have plastic followers, some have steel. I like steel.

That's it...I like the rest. I like the sights, I like the trigger, I like the simple controls (no safety, decock lever), I like the mag release, I like the weight, size, shape, accuracy and I even like the .380acp round. I love those guns.

I just picked one up a used one like new in SS on Fri! I love it!!! WOW is all I can say!
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

thanks !

Lots of helpful info here - and much appreciated. Now I'm off to find "a deal" on one

(probably will be back to ask more questions)

mahalo nui loa

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    My wife has the 232ss. She has arthritis and after looking at several pistols and revolvers, she was able to handle the 232 best. It's the best .380 I've ever seen. It has run flawlessly since she got it. Out of the box, she shot over 200 rounds for her CCW without a problem.

I keep it stoked with Buffalo Bore. Read what they say about the .380 and their loads. Very informative and a superb load. Hope this helps.

I have the P232 SL, I think it is the best 380 ever made. A mouse gun it isn't so forget pocket carry unless you like large cargo pockets. You will read about slide bite from some folks but the Hogue grips solve this issue, even though I love the looks of the Nill grips, mine stays wrapped with the Hogue grips. The factory night sights aren't nearly as brite as my TFO's on the my Glock, but they are still adequate. As for ammo, don't let anyone tell you you aren't protected unless your caliber of choice begins with a 4!!!! Not nearly as much of that here as there are on other forums. The 380 is a very adequate SD round, sure bigger is usually better, but bigger is not always practical or physically possible. I have all my 380's stoked with the rounds from BB, these Gold Dots are some impressive rounds!! Better ballistics than a 38 special Hydrashok!!! I have done my own testing with them and have been very impressed. I saw a couple P232's for sale at Glock talk and The Firing Line forum. Good luck with your hunt.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

great stuff here !

warm newbie welcome
    sage advice
    shared first hand knowlege
    factual data
    even opinions expressed in a civil way

might just be the sole place on the net that this exists !!

thanks all

I agree you won't get the usual " Mine is bigger than yours " around here, best gun forum I have found.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    IMHO......If you like the size of the P232, you should seriously look at the P239 as well. I have no qualms with the P232, it is a great (possibly the best .380) gun. The P239 is 6.6" OAL, the P232 is also 6.6". The OAHs are 4.7" (P232) and 5.1" (P239). The OAW of the P232 is 1.3" while the P239 is thinner at 1.2". Barrel lengths are the same, but the sight radius is a little longer on the P239 at 5.2" while the P232 is 4.8". The weight is a little more on the P239 at 29.5 oz with magazine, (unloaded I believe) while the P232 is 18.5 for the blued, and 23.6 for the SS version. IMO the differences in size and weight in these guns are minimal. But what you gain in caliber and mag capacity with the P239 is substantial. The P232 holds 7+1 .380acp while the P239 holds 7+1 .357sig, or .40s+w. or 8+1 9mm. I know you said you didn't want these arguments, but in the same basic sized package, I think they are valuable.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

The only bad thing about the Sig 232 is finding 380 ammo.

"The weight is a little more on the P239 at 29.5 oz with magazine, ...while the P232 is 18.5 for the blued"

this + the size is why I'm leaning toward the 232

My sig 232 is a 2010. Biggest piece of crap I ever owned. The latest model have a machining defect on the breech face, and the ejection is 50/50.. If you get one, go for the stainless, it's heavier and good for throwing at an assailant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links