HELP:Sig P232 380: Germany or W. Germany???

This is a discussion on HELP:Sig P232 380: Germany or W. Germany??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sig P230 380: Germany or W. Germany??? I just picked up a used Sig P230 380. Looks like new. I love this thing!! On the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP:Sig P232 380: Germany or W. Germany???

Sig P230 380: Germany or W. Germany??? I just picked up a used Sig P230 380. Looks like new. I love this thing!! On the slide it says "Made in W. Germany" but every other picture I see on the web of this same type of gun says "Made in Germany". Does this means anything? Is this an old gun or what???
    CCW: Never get killed for lack of shooting back!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The P230 was made up to about 1997, a KH code date. Both stamps are on the pistols depending on when it was produced. It means nothing to you or your gun. It meant a lot to the East Germans though. What is the two letter code date on the right side of the slide?

JE is the code and they are sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gunken View Post
    JE is the code and they are sideways.
    That is 1984. I can't recall when Germany reunified, but after '84 I assume. From reunification on the slide was stamped Germany, but I believe there is a fair amount of overlap involved in the German guns made around then.

Thanks for the help. The gun looks new. Has very nice wood grips and shoots like a champ! Only one mag but i'll get another on order ASAP! For $375.00 you can't beat it.

"In November, 1989, the Berlin Wall fell. " So how did that gun (made in 84) get here??

These are the grips that were available from Sig. As far as I know they are no longer offered. Are these what you have on your P230? There are other nice aftermarket grips available too. Wow, $375 is a heck of a good deal! Congrats. I was happy to pay $450 for the one pictured below. Note your slide serrations are different. That is the main difference in the P230 and P232.

The other differences are found in the grip panels, the sights went from two dot to three dot and an internal firing pin safely was added to the P232.

I paid over $500 for my p232 in blue. I have houge grips which was a huge improvement. The SS looks pretty w/ those wood grips, but I still like mine as its low key.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    These are the grips that were available from Sig. As far as I know they are no longer offered. Are these what you have on your P230? There are other nice aftermarket grips available too. Wow, $375 is a heck of a good deal! Congrats. I was happy to pay $450 for the one pictured below. Note your slide serrations are different. That is the main difference in the P230 and P232.

The other differences are found in the grip panels, the sights went from two dot to three dot and an internal firing pin safely was added to the P232.
    I'm going to be sending you a bill for a new keyboard, I just drooled all over mine!
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Uh, I paid over 600 but it included night sights.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I paid $375 fpor my SL with only 50 rounds through it!! Can't beat it, with night sights!! Nill grips are always available for the P232. Sig copied Nills anyway, they ain't cheap but they are perty!!! I also prefer the Hogues for practicality. Enjoy your new Sig, and check out Buffalo Bore Gold Dots for some impressive ammo for it.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

The "Iron Curtain" didn't fall until 1989/90. Reunification of course happened afterward.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

The German p230 is the way to go. The p232 made in Exiter Conn has jamming issues

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    The German p230 is the way to go. The p232 made in Exiter Conn has jamming issues
    Wonder if you could share some details about the statistical analysis from which you've drawn this conclusion? Total production figures, sample size, failure rates, standard deviation, etc.?

Oh, wait... Maybe what you meant to say is that you have a P232 that jams, and it was made in Exeter.

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Wonder if you could share some details about the statistical analysis from which you've drawn this conclusion? Total production figures, sample size, failure rates, standard deviation, etc.?

Oh, wait... Maybe what you meant to say is that you have a P232 that jams, and it was made in Exeter.

Regards,
    Jim
    Thanks Jim ..... The Sig Sauer p232 that I purchased was $700, the Sig p232 is unreliable, and the machining is poor quality.

VIP Member
    My P230 is also stamped "W. Germany." As to how it got here...well, considering West Germany was one of our closest allies, a constant trading partner, home to hundreds of thousands of American troops, and a free western democracy..... ;)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links