Sight Paint for Front Blade ?

This is a discussion on Sight Paint for Front Blade ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to add some paint to the front (fixed) blade sight of my snubbie, rear sight is a trench. What do you recommend, is ...

Thread: Sight Paint for Front Blade ?

Sight Paint for Front Blade ?

I'd like to add some paint to the front (fixed) blade sight of my snubbie, rear sight is a trench. What do you recommend, is there a "night sight" paint?

2. Remove Ads

I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

I went to the site for bright sights. Does this stuff really work? I wonder if anyone has any experience with it. The price is good, i think.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

a friend on another site said it work .ordered some for myself..
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

These decals are even easier and glow in the dark, not as good as tritium but for the price hey :) (NiteSiters)..
    YouTube - Nitesiters Handgun Night Sight Demo
    http://www.nitesiters.com/

Plain old testors Model hobby paint works well also..as a sight paint ..and is cheap and durable.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Nail Polish

Senior Moderator
    My thoughts, for what that's worth, based on my experiences with contrasting (colors or fiber optic) sights. Basically, they are only good under certain lighting conditions - fairly bright light with the sight back lit.

I've tried any number of contrasting sights, from orange inserts on revos to XS big dots on semis. I find the same thing: if the prevailing light is in front of you, the sight silhouettes and the color/contrast is lost and you wind up with a black or dark sight picture. I've seen this very thing happen numerous times on my outdoor range in bright daylight. E.g. the last time I installed XS big dots, I had a really good range session - very impressed. The next time I went, the lighting conditions weren't the same and I realized I was struggling with the sight because I could not see that big white dot, only got a silhouette and it was a significant different sight picture.

Hence, for SD, the problem I see with high contrast sights is you can never quite be sure what sight picture is going to show up.

Just some things to consider before you change your sights.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdd2 View Post
    Save your money. I bought some of that stuff and it is lame IMHO. I have some right here and I will never use it.

Go to a hobby store and pick out some bright paint that they use for models. It last a long time. I have used bright red for my front sights and yellow for my rear sights on my revolvers for years. Make your own combination. Rember to do front and rear in seperate colors. It makes it easier to pick up your sights.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Nail Polish
    I put a litlle white enamel nail polish on the rear of the blade of my GI 1911s, it certainly helps with picking up the front sight for indoor or low light conditions.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I put a litlle white enamel nail polish on the rear of the blade of my GI 1911s, it certainly helps with picking up the front sight for indoor or low light conditions.
    A coworker here suggested the same thing. He used nail polish on his sites. I added white nail polish to my snub nose sites. It seems to resist wear and cleaning with standard gun solvents quite well.

I actually had to paint a stripe on my front site, 2/3 of the way up to get the impact to match point of aim on my snub nose. If I align the top of front site to top of rear (channel site) I shoot way low (5-6 inches at 7 yards)

The state police officer that conducted our shooting for my CCW class tried my gun at my request, had the same results.

I now line up the stripe on the front site with the rear channel and shoot to point of aim. It took several attempts at getting the right location on the front site. Just took first stripe off with nail polish remover, reapplied, until I got it right.

Go to the model section of Walmart. Get some testors enamel of your choice in color. Before applying, clean the area thoroughly with alcohol. Allow to dry. Apply the dots with a round toothpick and the front ramp with whatever works for you. Allow to dry 24 hours before use. Works like a charm and lasts forever.

I've tried the sight paint with only limitted success. I've tried the nail polish as well.

My daughter had some arts and craft paint made for metallic objects. It was in brilliant white. I believe it was only a few bucks

Put one coat on my lcp and covered it with clear nail polish (2 coats) and it works great and seems to be holding up to heavy cleaning. Much easier to pick up the sights now.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    This method uses tape and is not permanent, so if you don't like it, you can remove it. It is also compatible with night sights.

pistol-training.com The JohnO DIY High Visibility Front Sight
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    +1

I used the brightest red nail polish that I could find in my wife's makeup drawer on my RIA 1911 with GI sights.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Links