Does anyone carry wheelguns as primary anymore? - Page 4

Does anyone carry wheelguns as primary anymore?

This is a discussion on Does anyone carry wheelguns as primary anymore? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Trebla Maclean3: Your not afraid of the internal locking mechanism locking up on you in the heat of the battle, or does ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone carry wheelguns as primary anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    Maclean3: Your not afraid of the internal locking mechanism locking up on you in the heat of the battle, or does your 642 have one on it?

Yes, my 642 has the lock. No, I don't worry about it freezing up on me. I used this gun for my CCW qualifying course and it ran perfectly fine, as it has for every range trip I've taken it on. I scored a 96% or 98% (forget which), it would've been higher but I rushed a few shots at the furthest target.

There's so many things that could malfunction with any given firearm that any choice at all is a compromise of sorts - my 642 could freeze up the next time I pull the trigger but I'll never have to worry about ftf/fte malfunctions or a mag baseplate flying off. The exact opposite is true of my 1911. If the internal lock bothers you it's possible to remove those parts, same as Springfield's 1911 ILS MSH.
    Jack

Maclean3: I got lucky the other day and bought a 642 (excellent LNIB condition) and a NIB 37(bobbed hammer) from the ValleyForge gun show this past weekend. Both Airweights are without the locks. I am absolutely astonished on how accurate they are. Good luck with your 642 and take care of her cause she is definitely a keeper!!

Great score Trebla! I've been carrying mine since I got my permit last October. Can't beat the weight and size for a go anywhere type of gun - whether I carry IWB, in the pocket or on the ankle it's with me. I'm using 125gr. +P Rem. GS and well pleased and Speer has a new 135gr +P Gold Dot that they developed specifically for the snubbies, I'm going to try those on my next range trip.
    Jack

Thanks Maclean3! I ran some Federal Premium Personal Defense 135gr. JHP rounds through both of them and got some great groups at 25yds. I also ran some of those +P Golden Sabers that you spoke of through my 642, didn't put them through the 37 because S&W says its not +P rated. When your at the range do your practice with +P ammo or is that only for CCW? I want to try the Speer Gold Dot ammo as well because like you said it was designed for short barrel snubbies.

I use std. pressure for most of my practice shooting (50 to 100 rounds fmj). When I'm done with that I'll fire off the current cylinder of carry ammo, use what's in my speedloader to replace it and refill the loader with fresh rounds - if I'm feeling particularly froggie I'll fire off both cylinders and use fresh ammo all around. The forcing cone is pretty thin and the lightweight frame doesn't get stressed as much by limiting the high pressure stuff - I plan on making this gun last as long as possible.
    Jack

Thats what I do. Usually its 130 gr. FMJ for the session then a couple of cylinders of +P. Next time your at the range put four 2" Shoot-n-c self adhesive bulleyes on a full size silhouette target strategically placed:

1.head 2.left shoulder 3. right shoulder 4. center of mass

take the target out 25yds. , your not going to believe the accuracy of your snubby.

340pd, 357 gold dots, 158gr. It is a handfull, but, I can get all 5 rounds off in about 5 seconds. I believe thats enough to stop just about anyone or anything. Getting pretty accurate as well. I usually practice at 15 feet getting all shots to hit a paper plate.....

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    on occassion I carry my 642CT. I get antsy with only 5 rounds available. I don't every worry about the lock system. I have never had any problems with it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

wheel carry

I carry a S&W 642 as primary, also permitted for a Glock 30 and Para 13. The snubby is easier to conceal. Also, if 5 won't get it done, I'm in deep poop.

Quote Originally Posted by ryoungblood
    I carry a S&W 642 as primary, also permitted for a Glock 30 and Para 13. The snubby is easier to conceal. Also, if 5 won't get it done, I'm in deep poop.
    Welcome to the best Forum on the Web Youngblood. You've got some great guns to choose from there, I'm a little envious. We're seeing a good number of folks lately getting their California permits approved - it's encouraging.
    Jack

I know what damage will be made from a hollow tip coming out of a j-frame snubby, by seeing it with my own eyes. Five well placed shot out of a 642 is all you need to stop any threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla
    I know what damage will be made from a hollow tip coming out of a j-frame snubby, by seeing it with my own eyes. Five well placed shot out of a 642 is all you need to stop any threat.
    For most cases, I agree. However, if you are attacked by three or more BG's, you will have a problem, even with a speedloader. That's why my primary carry is my Glock 23, 14 rounds of .40 caliber El Dorado Starfire Hollowpoints. Of course, my Taurus 85 Ultralite .38 Special is still going to be in my pocket!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

I only carry my hammerless S&W model 37 airweight for backup.At one time I would carry just my J-Frame but now the world is just too crazy of a place for the snubbie.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I use my old Model 60 38spl when I don't feel like carrying my Kahr K9. I does get used alot more during the summer.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links